Prac w shoes or not?

Pakerdee

Hi all!

I know that when we perform in gigs etc, we always wear shoes. But to wear shoes at home while practising, do u guys do that?

And wear the actual shoes that u are gonna perform in?
Or does it not matter whether u prac/perform w shoes on or not?

If yes, what kinda shoes are best?
My fren said that those worn out soles' shoes are best. Is it true? I suspect he said it cos he slides his feet a lot on the pedals. But when I watch the pros do it in the videos, their feet hardly move!

So do the shoes matter?

ps: funny if we prac w sneakers (n we have to get a dozen pairs of the same pair of shoes?!) at home, and in a formal performance with shirt and coat, change our leather shoes to sneakers right?

Oh dear... Pakerdee!!

as many softies forummers have mentioned before in the past (some who are abit more stern *gulp*) ... try to do a search on a topic before posting.

I believe this helps james manage the threads better and also prevent similar topics from spawning, also it helps centralise the information and tips into one resource.

The answer to your queries could be found here:
http://soft.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?t=8902&highlight=shoe

A subsequent "lost sheep" forummer made another query here:
http://soft.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?t=40739&highlight=shoe
(and got "policed" by dulltheatre...hehe)

cheers and thanks for the understanding guys!!! :mrgreen:

(please do post your additional queries in the older threads.... thankxxxx!!!!)

for guitar.. practicing standing up or sitting down is the problem.. well to me. I can't play the same stuff as well standing up on stage live as compared to sitting in a comfortable playing position. so i am still not sure how to overcome that problem. live versions always aren't as clean as the home. yeah. but about the shoes. dunno.

Good point aaron. With guitar when I'm learning new stuff, or figuring out licks, I'll sit. But I also make it a point to practice standing. But very sian when you realise the lick that sounded awesome sitting down, sounds noob when standing. Heh.

When it comes to drums though, I find shoes to be a insignificant factor for me. Makes no difference. The larger difference for me, would be adjusting to play louder for a larger venue, because at home I play really really really lightly :D

i face this problem now. i practice my double pedaling barefooted and when im with shoes, im not used to the weight at all. but hell i think playing a gig without shoes wont be really matter i mean. its not like your going to get a pedal camera hahah. pro ah.

i dont know about you guys but i used my ankle as a pivot so yeah heavy is the right word at the same time i dont get the feel of the pedal and that bugs me for some reason.

I always leave a pair of new shoes next to my drum kit. I put it on whenever I practice. I find flat sole shoes the best....such as converse or adidas samoa etc (those that doesn't shape your feet for you).

Reason why I practice with shoes:-

I perform with shoes on...you wouldn't want to step on splinters or broken glass in a club would you? Better yet...I do alot of hotel function/events gigs where I'm either dressed up formal or smart casual...so presentation will be an issue if I played barefooted...also, guys who are into tap/slide....those new pedals with huge engravings on footboard can really tear your skin!

i have socks with those converse shoe designs :) hotel performance solved :p haha but yes i do agree its better to play with shoes on eventho i dont. i wonder whether their like those weights you put around your feet for like a week then you train alot. and when you take them off wow. your flying :)

Back