portable keyboards vs synthesizers

i was just wondering if these two kinda of instruments can be compared.
i'm intending to get new keys, and i like yamaha. checked out their PSR-S500/S700, alright with them, but i really like MO6.
supposed to use these keys in gigs, but i'm not too sure which is more suitable.
advice, anyone?

and thank you in advance! :D

depends on your application,, if you are into more music production, go for the Mo6.. more live performances.. Psr series..both are targeted for different audiences not really comparable to each other..

elsonandhistrumpet

PSR are marketed as a fun/family keyboard. Is has all the auto accompaniment and stuff.

Synthesizers allows editing of the sound. You can tweak the sound to make it different from other people's.

Nowadays, due to advance technology, most keyboard sound pretty good out of the box. You should go down to the showroom and try out the instrument. Check out the different sound and compare which you like better.

thank you all for the prompt replies!

i understand that PSRs and synthesizers are meant for different purposes. hmm, but would the PSR be suitable for gigs? i have a PSR at home, and its more like the budget type, so i was wondering if PSR-S500 is good enough already. i mean. i've tried it out, but it is really appropriate for gigs, since you mentioned its a fun/family kind of keyboard.

As long as the sound is suitable for your music, that is what's most important.

Oh, make sure there is a Audio Output from the keyboard that you can connect to the keyboard amp/ sound system at the gig.

If you're willing to fork out the money for a new S500 and know that you'd be satisfied with its performance, why not consider a mid-range arranger workstation like S700 or its predecessor PSR1500 or even a PA50?...And then, when you do have the spare cash in future to upgrade, go for an 88 key keyboard as an expansion, not replacement, to your setup. Go try them out :)

actually i'd prefer S900, but i dont have enough cash. even for s700, its 500 bucks more. i was also looking at korg's PA50, but i havent tried them out yet.
haha.

Does the usb show up as a midi device? If not, stay far away. Sequencing on keyboards are an extreme pain in the ass compared to software equivalents.

the PSR nowadays is very different from the olden days....some of the preset sounds are infact thicker and richer than the synth....

many pros are in fact replacing one of their racks with a PSR...for practical reason....comes with speakers(of course will add to the weight) and auto rhythm in wonderful arrangement.....most synth don't...

but for gigs, make sure u get the one with line out L and R...easier for connection...

more important you must feel and like the preset...

Back