Placebo: 23rd March, MTV Fashionanbly Loud @ Ngee Ann City

I know this is kinda last minute, but....

I've got 1 invite to the event itself, and a 6 invites to the after-party at Loof (21+ only!) up for sale! Please SMS me at 90491231 with 1) your name and 2) the amount you're willing to pay and I'll see if we can work things out :)

They walk pass me when they first go in the tent and i was shock,they walk with a few bodyguard from thier hotel i think.

Here's some bad pic of them coming out of the tent.

cimg16451ux.jpg

The person doing the V is not me.
cimg16464ct.jpg

cimg16488hz.jpg

Damn pissed off actually. Me and desmond + william from Electrico got shut out of the event. In fact we were two meters from the poor guy TERENCE, a zouk member who was the very last person who got slammed out of placebo. We resorted to straining our ears

further spycraft revealed that they did not play live, but with thorough sequencing karaoake style! (no big deal about the sequencing- but the whole band? geez)

There was a call for press passes but producing my card did not avail me because everyone tried to get in by pretending to be press.

A bouncer tried to pick a fight with my friend and said "I see you outside, you die" congratulations MTV. Great security firm you hired, the victim was just trying to get out of the way.

According to the respondent from I.S, ms. Ng Hui Hsien (arts and entertainment writer) the fashion parade was spectacular with a rock overtone as well as 'matrix' (I think she meant 'cyberpunk') series of outfits with the models parading while placebo was on. They sported black scarves around their eyes in a futuristic motiff.

Quotes:

Desmond Goh (Electrico Bassist): "Lovely people inside, but with unlovely bouncers outside"

Terence Chua, 29 (Zouk Member): "MTV sucks big time"

Bradley, Teacher at Brelitz: "I dont want my MTV"

Vera Lim, Model, 18: "F**k this shit"

---

There was a kilometer long queue outside the event which was oversold. Disclaiming by stating "first come first serve" does not validate over issuing - "special Invites" by close to a 1000 people. The long train of people threatened to riot and it was only constant placating by the BAD management of the event that the crowd dispersed.

Just for your info: Desmond from Electrico went out of the event to pass william his invite, only to be locked out of the event completely. Additionally, a fat, loquacious woman was yelling at customers, telling them that there were no passouts because it would be 'difficult to manage'. For God's sake, you had excess manpower with all those people with staff passes milling around and they didn't look like models.

This is fresh news, immediately after said event.

Saito OUT.

I apologise for no one. Kudos for the people that made it inside. Toughluck for us.

For the punks that hung out with us after, you guys are the shit. I'll contact you soon in regards to future opportunities.

the drums were live la. they were all using wireless beltpacks too.... could see it when they changed guitars. that, and they rehearsed the set several times (i know this because my friend's an usher for the whole SFF)

superkicky said:
the drums were live la. they were all using wireless beltpacks too.... could see it when they changed guitars. that, and they rehearsed the set several times (i know this because my friend's an usher for the whole SFF)

I see. So the whole "guitars were not plugged in" was due to wireless inputs? I retract. I wasnt even inside the venue, I could not see. Though my source was very insistent.

I heard 4 songs followed by 'every me and every you' then 2 encores.

Pretty alright.

Yup, wireless :) Very evident on the Thunderbird and Jazz basses because they were on the strap and the dude was walking around. I couldn't see properly on the others but I saw them plugging themselves in... and I don't think they'd go through all that trouble just to play to a minus one track ;)

Nvm la, it's chill. I know plenty of people who were pissed because they couldn't get in also.

Not surprised. there were at least 200 people or even more when I started making my 'little speech' outside. Thank you those who were there that listened: Boycott the marketing elements that created this mess, not MTV wholesale, just the idiots that made everything so unpleasant- solidarity was appreciated, especially for the bunch of people that prevented the threat-mongering bouncer from moving his barricade. I salute you

I don't think placebo will play their stuff ''karaoake style'' it will be a disrespect to themself and to the fans and what's the point of swiching guitar if they wanna play ''karaoake style''. :)

The band was playing to sequenced tracks but the vocals were definitely live. Not too sure abt the drums though. Could be... Could feel the kick drum. MTV was taping the show to be shown across Asia hence the heavily sequenced tracks.

I thk the models were interesting... and Stefan Oswald was definitely checking some of those male models out. Hehe. :lol: So definitely, you can tell they were mining the performance.

SDKJHKFJHK;DFJGHK;SFJHDSJSDFHJHASDOFHSDOHJUSD;JU SHEEEEBEEDOODAAA I saw them this morning, checking out of the Mandarin hotel! I work there and I saw them saw them and I was wondering who they were they looked kinda familiar BOO and I didnt get an autograph :(:(:(

there were these two girls in school uniform (ahh, pon school!) and they were just sitting in the lobby waiting and waiting for a couple of hours til teh band checked out, then they went for autographs!
damn!
I keep missing people man, tommy aldridge stayed at the hotel as well, and I missed getting his autograph toooooo damn I;m a loser!! :( :cry: :cry:

it's a definite minus-one (karaoke-stylee) performance.

we saw the drummer lose his sticks midway through the song, and brian molko's guitar wasn't plugged in at one point, and the roadie came out after the song to tell him, at which point he plugged it in. the change of guitars was probably to make the audience think that it was live.

my brother in law works at nickelodeon, MTV, so he was telling me it's normal, fashionably loud is always minus one because of the fashion show element, it's apparently very difficult to do live performances. apparently the band didn't want to do one either, since the sound in the tent was shite. despite the fact it was sequenced, the bass was still too loud.

the queue was crazy, but everyone who got there early got in. we got there at like 7pm, and stood inside for quite a while before the show started.

all in all it was disappointing, the crowd wasn't very on, most of them were more concerned with taking pictures, had a sea of hands carrying and focussing mobile phones and digi-cams in front of me, and i was pretty close to brian molko's side. otherwise they did try to put on a good show though, despite the circumstances.

and whoever said mtv was really music television anyhow :lol:

Yup. They were definitely not playing live. The sound on without you I'm nothing was too note perfect and pretty difficult to duplicate. Well done to the bastards at MTV for making an amazing band and a crowd who were enthusiastic to see them play feel like props on an MTV fashion show.

ah, but once again, it's mtv. and it's the mtv mosh pit. we were all props.

everyone i knew who got the invites and saw the first-come-first-served clause behind it was wondering if they would be cool enough to get in. thats the reputation of the mosh pit.

the mtv asian music awards held auditions for mosh pit. of course we were props.

Back