PA system (EQ)

teleplayer

Hi. I'm new to this part of the forum.. well i want to ask you guys. you all know on a pa system right, there're gain knob, high knob, mid 1/2 knob and low knob, then below them still have a lot more knobs, any one know what are those for?

erm i forget what brand is that but there're 20+ points on the mixer.. it's school's system though... with group 1 -4 LOL. it's grey in colour.

Probably monitor feeds. They're called several things... Auxes, Mixes, Send/returns...

The Aux(iliary) is used to send a split of the channel's signal out of the mixer board. For example, if that channel is a microphone signal, you can use the Aux to send this signal out to a reverb unit for processing.

Sounds like Mackie 1604VLZ board, one of the best selling model and still selling.

Channel layout like this:
1) Gain - adjust your input signal level
(low cut button - useful for vocal to reduce pop from voice)
2) EQ (High, Mid level, Mid freq, Low) - adjust tone of your sound
3) Aux 1 & 2 (pre & post switchable) - send for monitor, effect...etc
4) Aux 3 & 4 (post only) - send for monitor, effect...etc
(Note. pre position, aux send is not affected by channel level fader or eq setting for mackie board. post position is after channel level fader, good for playback device channel)
(aux 5-6 button - re route aux 3 -4 output to aux 5-6 output, seldom used)
5) Pan - (Left to Right panning for level fader)
6) Mute button - (channel mute for channel level & post aux sends)
7) Solo button - pre fader listen for headphone monitoring (for DJ and self monitoring)
8.) Group & LR buttons - to assign channel output route
9) Level fader - Level out from channel

Extremely useful and robust board, industry standard just like the SM58 mic.

Note that differnet brands and model, functions may vary for buttons & control with the same function name. So understanding the particular board is crucial to run complex shows.

I guess you will only use the gain, EQ and level fader most of the time. Unless you are a sound tech operating the board for a full show, which involves monitors, effects, sub-send for recording, subwoofer...etc.

Do take note that the 1604's Auxiliary section is ABOVE the EQ section of the channel strip. That's one notable difference between Mackie boards and say maybe those from Soundcraft and Yamaha.

Back