Newbie needs help to start!

JapxMetal

Hi there , I would like to thank you for reading my post.

I have been inspired by Yoshiki of X Japan and Bob James of Fourplay to take up the keyboard.
I am a bassist and I only know stuff about guitars and basses.
So I am not sure about what I can look forward to in particular brands or how the market works.

There are 4 types of keyboards that I know of, arrangers, synthesizers, digital pianos and workstations.
I wanted the closest thing to an acoustic piano or normal piano.
I am confused by all the technical jargon like patches, samples, polyphonic and all that stuff.
I have read the stickies but I am afraid that they are outdated.

I want to get a keyboard that would allow me to play the styles of the musicians I listed.
However, I am not sure if those styles would require any type of effects or particular category of keyboard.

I have tried out I think the Casio CTK-3200 that retails for roughly $260 at Luthier Music and it seems great.
I am not sure if 61keys would be sufficient enough.

My budget is around $250 and I would appreciate it alot if you could suggest me a model that would suited to a beginner like me trying to learn the styles of Yoshiki and Bob James.
I do apologise in advance if there is anything that I have missed out in reading the stickies, or if posting a typical newbie buying tread in here is considered bad etiquette as I badly need guidance.

Hi JapxMetal, for the budget of $250, these 61-keys Casio is very much what you would be able to get. And it is a pretty good keyboard to start with. You may want to get a sustain pedal (damper pedal) to play the keyboard like a piano.

Increase your budget slightly, and you may like the sounds of the Yamaha DGX series better. Go for the lower end ones.

Oh noo Im not going to.
Just going to use it as a substitute for a piano.
Not going to use much synth or midi or those kind of things.

I thought the DGX-230 is still in production - or at least the Yamaha website said so. I'll be surprised if they phase out the DGX. It's the most affordable "digital grand" (ie DGX) type portable keyboard. The NP series also looks interesting, but I'm not sure if they're more expensive.

Increase your budget, $250 might not get you a sound that you'll be satisfied with, especially once your ears get used to the sound. You will be demanding for better sounding pianos in time to come. It's the same case for guitars. Once you get used to it, you'll be asking for better ones (Unless you start off with a good sounding one)!

For me, 61 is enough cause I seldom come across songs that uses the notes all the way to the high or low ends of the piano. But then, you may never know when you'll need it, so if your budget allows, try to get an 88 keys. But always put the sounds of the piano as priority first! Of course, just like the others already mentioned, the type of keyboard you'll be looking for would be the digital pianos. Yamaha and Casio is good, great recommendation by the moderators. I would prefer Yamaha though, but don't let my preferences sway your decision! :)
There is always an option to buy second hand (price will definitely be cheaper if there is a seller), but I know most people would prefer first hand!

Thanks alot greyback!
I have acquired a Yamaha PSR E 223. I was sceptical of it first as many people were selling off the PSR line of keyboards.
I bought it second hand and am very happy with it, although I find the lack of the pitch bend annoying(even though I don't have to use it).
Apparently I need at least 76 keys to play some of X Japan's songs like Endless Rain and Forever Love as the bass side goes deeper.
Happy with this keyboard anyway, would recommend this to any beginners that are starting out.

Back