Neighbours smoke right in front of your house

optisailor2002

What do you do when inconsiderate CHINA neighbours go to the corridor right in front of your house to smoke?

I blast my favourite death metal at full volume, the highest I can go back at them. _|_ you to CHINA.

/rant.

it doesnt matter if the person is from here or elsewhere...

The moment when race is being singled out, unless you're MM Lee, will lessen the impact and no more hard truth liao

I don't blame the TS.

"China" or "PRC" is now a dirty word among Singaporeans who are increasingly fed up with PAP's (especially the old man's) messed-up immigration policies. Honestly, it's not really a racial thing. But the anti-China mood is more about strong discontentment and uneasiness over local job securities, competition from low cost workers, over-crowding, social problems, and rising cost of living due to the massive influx of foreigners. Singaporeans are getting screwed by their own government. People are pissed off. Hence the resentment.

optisailor2002 : you know what smokers are most afraid of? their lit cigarettes getting put out by water.
when they smoke infront of your house , it's the best time to run a water spray pipe and spray clean your corridor/water plants etc. tell them if they're not happy go paint a yellowbox somewhere in a cool dry place. waste water? I doubt it's as much as waste electricity considering the efficiency.

regarding the china thing.. well it's just history repeating itself again when Singapore is a collection of immigrants/traders/foreigners who settled down here etc except it's no longer just "chinese,malay,indian." as it extends further to burmese,vietnamese,pinoys,thais,japanese,koreans,nigerians, expats from UK,US,EU , (I saw this middle aged angmoh guy trying to speak 100% SINGLISH to his chinese business partner it was hilarious but hey, it's more about being understood)

strangers in our homeland? I guess. but it's the way of the future of tolerance/acceptance. take it easy as it'll get worse from here on. you'll get used to it.

optisailor2002, what would you do if the smoker is a fellow Singaporean who happens to love death metal?

optisailor2002, what would you do if the smoker is a fellow Singaporean who happens to love death metal?

now that would be an interesting question hahaha!

i apologise for the xenophobic notion, but it's just extremely frustrating when almost all my daily inconvenient encounters are brushes with people from china (from the way they talk, the accent and stuff). talking extremely loudly as if there is no tomorrow and hence needing to exhaust all available voice available, anyone? microwaving their shoes in the shared oven in the pantry to dry their wet shoes anyone?

i personally think that singapore's almost overcrowded, and the transport infrastructure is barely ready to accommodate another few million of them (inconsiderate b*stards). just taking the train on the evening is bad enough, with train breakdowns always happening in the evening when it's the most crowded.

...and we have ministers who tell us that we are ready for more people.

^ The microwave thing is disgusting...haha!

Anyway, why should our million dollars ministers care about our problems and inconveniences with foreigners? They are living comfortably in their ivory towers somewhere in Bukit Timah....away from these rude China people, overcrowding and all.

Last edited:
One thing I know for sure, without these foreigners, most of our daily life would not be as comfortable.

I don't have a domestic helper but most of the family who has, are 99% foreigners.

I ferry folks to the hospital very often, no exact figure but 60% of the nurse are not local.

Just this week, OpenNet came to wire up my house. All of their staff are foreigners.

Yes, we all wish the bus/train were less crowded. Every one more cultured and nice. But someone got to do the job that we all shy away from.

We can post our views but end of the day, when we visit/work in other country, we become the 'alien' whom we all disapprove.

I agree with James but only to an extent because he's only touching the politically correct surface, plus what is already propagate by PAP and the state-run media.

In Singapore, the current resentment of foreigners has more to do with the types of immigrants coming in. It's an issue of what really defines "foreign talent".

In the past, most foreigners coming in to work in Singapore were of two categories, (i) the bona-fide foreign experts/talents, where locals lacked the skills, knowledge or experience, (ii) the labourers, maintenance workers, domestic helpers, or any profession where very few locals would venture into. These were the migrant workers most Singaporeans would welcome and have no issues with. More importantly, the numbers were manageable for a little red dot.

But it's a very different scenario now. The current PAP policies are about bringing in foreigners (especially from China) by the masses, regardless of skills, qualifications and occupational demand the country needs. PAP only want numbers, the bigger the better (although they're cutting down now to avoid election backlash). PAP wants a competitive business environment which ultimately leads to lowering labour costs and hiring of cheaper foreign workers. Another reason is to boost the population to a staggering 6 million, according to the old man's twisted reasoning.

So what's becoming of the average Singaporeans now? They are facing job losses or lower wages because of the cheaper foreign hire. The hardest hit are the lower to lower-middle income group. And these jobs include administration, clerical, manufacturing, engineering, IT, customer service, hospitality, sales, retailing, transportation and so forth, whether it's white-collar or blue-collar in nature. These are the types of jobs Singaporeans will not shy away from, but are at risk from cheaper foreign imports....and NOT those "labourer" or "domestic worker" types PAP usually try to justify in defense of their policies. The scariest thing is...if the economy takes a hit, you will see more Singaporeans suffer due to lack of jobs with sufficient wage to support the rising cost of living.

And not to mention other problems and inconveniences Singaporeans are facing daily due to the massive influx of foreigners....ie. inadequate transportation, rising property prices, unaffordable public housings, overcrowding (not an understatement!!), inflation, social problems & nuisances (notably from certain China people), safety, security and so on.

Sometimes you have to make a stand and say enough is enough. If your government is too arrogant, too detached and has since stopped listening to you, maybe it's time to say "let's move on" to another......see my sig below.

Last edited:
slightly OT: the funny thing is how everyone's lamenting about how hard it is to find jobs, and at the end of the year the census says that unemployment rate is at the lowest, and that there are too many jobs for people nowadays.

might sound slightly unorthodox, but perhaps the reason is because singaporeans generally ask for higher pays, and employers are more keen on these foreign "talents" because they ask for less, and its not even about greed nowadays, and more about inflation and the increasing cost of living in singapore. these "talents" are mostly gonna grab what they can get and leave at the end of the day, richer than the day they hit our shores.

i've read on other forums that employers tend to employ people from their own country as well, leaving out the opportunity for singaporeans. e.g. china employer chooses to hire china worker instead of singaporean worker (not in the literal, construction worker sense). not sure how often this happens, but if it is indeed happening, increasing the flow of foreign "talents" into the country will definitely not make people happier.

and honestly, i rather have more indian/bangladeshi workers than china workers coming into singapore anyway, it seems that these are the really courteous people, giving up seats on the trains and stuff. but to make the statement politically correct, i have to add, "or maybe i just met all the ugly people from China, so it's hard to make a judgement."

Another reason is to boost the population to a staggering 6 million, according to the old man's twisted reasoning.

It's not twisted reasoning. With a TFR of 1.16, what choice is there? That's what almost every developed country goes through. Of course, argument always goes both ways - one can say that the low TFR is due to poor governance, lack of goodies, rising cost, increasing stress etc etc. But do we want to go backwards in economy? Would we want to become like Niger or Afghanistan or Congo, those with one of the highest TFR in the world? And yes, people would bring up Luxembourg or Netherlands as possible models to follow (also with low TFR). Put these European countries in the middle of Asia and see how they survive. They are not comparable. An ageing population will never be sustainable. Just look at Japan. We want the economic growth, we want to live comfortably, we want high pay, and we don't want to have children. With medical advancement (of course, something we want together with the package of "wants"), life expectancies increases and continues to increase. You get a population of old people to sustain with a low working population. And plug that into the middle of Asia with competitors like China and India. Add into the equation of the lack of natural resources. Singapore is dead. One just can't have it all ways.

I've done my part - I have 3 kids :). And no - I don't belong to the middle-high income bracket.

In relation to my previous post (#13). someone just wrote to the Straits Times Forum today, echoing my thoughts. I believe many concerned Singaporeans out there are feeling the same way. Yes, the real issue is what actually defines "foreign talent" and what kind of "talent" the country genuinely needs.

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_637789.html

As for aging population, I agree with Cheez it's a problem Singapore is facing.

However, the real bugbear is the way PAP implements their pro-foreigner policies. Their policies in general sacrifice the quality and standard of living of Singaporeans, in favour of mass intake of foreigners over a short period of time. It's too fast, too soon and far too many. And honestly, the PAP government is ill-prepared in handling such situations, hence causing all sorts of problems and inadequacies for the country and its citizens. And they're revising their immigration policies now because they know they screwed up, plus election is looming.

To PAP, it's an "oversight" or "honest mistake". To us, it's about job losses, wage cuts, rising cost of living, unaffordable housing, overcrowding and many more. The real problem lies with a bunch of million dollars ministers who has since stopped listening to the people and are oblivious to what's happening in the heartlands, because they're so used to making decisions from their ivory towers.

i remember back in the school when the transport minister (i think was Raymond Lim) came to the school to give a presentation and was talking about the transportation in singapore, a question was shot to him:

"if the government claims that singapore's transportation system is as good and as efficient as it is, why do we not see any of our ministers, even MPs taking public transport?"

to which he didn't know what to reply. i understand that it could be because of security purposes, but then how will they know what us commoners experience on our day to day lives?

the other one was when they said transport minister made an "unannounced trip" on an SMRT bus service, yet the ironic thing is the usually crowded bus was unusually empty and there were reporters present to snap photos of the minister on the bus. pretty "unannounced" eh?

the other one was when they said transport minister made an "unannounced trip" on an SMRT bus service, yet the ironic thing is the usually crowded bus was unusually empty and there were reporters present to snap photos of the minister on the bus. pretty "unannounced" eh?

Honestly, he could have taken the MRT at Raffles Place or Jurong East in the evening instead of a bus. I think that will give him a very good insight of what's really happening. (I mean even if he does turn up announced, no idiot in the right mind will not board the train just for the sake of letting the transport minister in and risk getting reproached by their bosses for being late.)

I am also beginning to think that Singapore is getting way too overcrowded. Firstly, Singapore has finite space. It's not like Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok where the people can just move out to the suburbs to avoid the constant crowd or the congestion.

Secondly, there are really many many immigrants in Singapore. Has anyone noticed that many Subway outlets now hire Filippinoes? I remembered I was once in the queue for my usual sandwich when the lady behind me could not understand English because she was a Chinese natiuonal and the Filippino sandwich artist did not know what she wanted. I had to interpret both of them to one another and the sandwich artist subsequently revealed to me that he thought I was a foreigner too. What is Singapore turning into? :O Another hub for immigrants which it once was under the British?

I don't really care what the government does or implement to deal with the immigration problem. I mean... They are not INVOLVED in our daily lives no matter how important we think ithey really are. They wouldn't know what we are going through because they are not the ones experiencing it. They only know our problems through public complaints and show parades in HDB estates once in a while with "grassroot" leaders. What makes you think their solution is really ingenious and working? (I mean they can't even get women to give birth by throwing money in their faces!) Besides, statistics such as Singapore's TFR might not be as accurate as one think it is. Please, information such as statistics can be manipulated very easily to suit anyone's agenda!

Of course, I don't have a solution for this current problem we are facing and even if I do, who's gonna listen to me? So we just have to deal with it. Voting for a new government in the next GE is also not exactly the best solution! (And once again, do we even have a credible opposition?)

TFR is pretty accurate in Singapore. We are not in 3rd world countries where live birth registry are messy and people give birth at home and raise the child without registering the child! We are also not a country with lots of illegal immigrants such that the number of women of child bearing age is grossly under-reported.

In the end, it's a fine balance. How much can the country take in without breaking other aspects that are already mentioned above? Difficult to tell. Too quick? Maybe. Projecting the low TFR 20 years into the the future and we get into a different kind of problem that is not going to be solved within a few years. The momentum would have made it impossible to deal with the increasing healthcare/social cost associated with an aging population. It's going to cost the govt a lot.

I can see problems with huge influx of foreigners. Main problem being many of them not integrating into the Singapore culture. They are still very distinct. But...their children will go to Singapore schools. They will be integrated. The next generation will be different. Look at the Chinese immigrants going to the US and Australia. The "ABCs" (2nd generation Chinese) are totally integrated. We usually look into the "now" - how uncomfortable we are with all these. But it's not easy to project into the future. That's what a the govt should be doing - having that insight is crucial.

And on another note - my wife was in the MRT the one day with my youngest kid (3 years old). In the crowded MRT, only one man stood up to give up his seat to my wife and kid. That man is from China. That actually happened TWICE to my wife on two different occasions - both with Chinese from China. She just told me that today. She was really surprised and therefore remembered the incident clearly - because no Singaporeans gave up their seat but a foreigner from China!

slightly OT: the funny thing is how everyone's lamenting about how hard it is to find jobs, and at the end of the year the census says that unemployment rate is at the lowest, and that there are too many jobs for people nowadays.

i've read on other forums that employers tend to employ people from their own country as well, leaving out the opportunity for singaporeans. e.g. china employer chooses to hire china worker instead of singaporean worker (not in the literal, construction worker sense). not sure how often this happens, but if it is indeed happening, increasing the flow of foreign "talents" into the country will definitely not make people happier.

and honestly, i rather have more indian/bangladeshi workers than china workers coming into singapore anyway, it seems that these are the really courteous people, giving up seats on the trains and stuff. but to make the statement politically correct, i have to add, "or maybe i just met all the ugly people from China, so it's hard to make a judgement."

ok at risk of sounding like a nerd...

1st para: actually there's nothing wrong with the statistic. its more of the way they collect the statistic. people who have not been searching for a job for the past month and longer are considered to be discouraged workers and not included in the unemployed group. so therefore so many discouraged workers are not included in the unemployment rate means it is severely understated. but wait there's too many jobs...but we dunno what kinda jobs those are. since we dunno what they are, we can also be grouped under another category of unemployment called the frictionally unemployed which just states due to imperfect info bla bla bla...so there u have it. the statistics are probably right anyway. u just have to interpret them with a pot of salt.

3rd para: thats not going to be easily done. firms here have a quota to fulfil and i think we all know that by now. something like 10 locals to 1 foreigner or something. but its also possible for the firm to have more than 10% foreigners if they can prove that they have a hard time getting qualified locals for the job. as explained by someone above me.

4th para: i've an acquantance who said something like that. and i know most of us are quick to judge. how do i know? typical stereotyping of ppl from diff schools. "neighbourhood school ar? must be lousy!" (i come from a semi-neighbourhood school i know). it only takes a few rotten apples being chosen to spoil the reputation of the whole basket. do we not have any rotten singaporeans? i know alot of them. most of the chinese immigrants that we notice are the ones that are loud and inconsiderate while the quiet and considerate ones slip our sight. quite a common case. the indians and banglas are no diff. every society has its good and rotten apples. i'm trying to stop being so quick to judge...but ar...sometimes when i'm having a bad day, it just comes out lol.

hope i didnt bore anyone XD

Back