Need some advise for electric guitar

yehosaphat

Hi guys, I have been playing acoustic guitar for many many years and recently have decided to venture into electric guitar with all the more fanciful picking, solo, etc techniques. I know it is a totally different ball game altogether with the different technicalities from single coil, humbuckers, tuners, effect pedals etc.

Frankly Im a abit lost. I already have an amp and just got the zoom G2Nu effect pedal. When I tried to hook it up to my martin acoustic, the distortions got alot of feedback. The rest of the modules like delay and modulations were fine. I suppose its time i should get a proper electric guitar.

I know single coils have brighter sounds while humbuckers produce warmer sounds. Can I humbly ask whats the difference between the various types of guitars, strats, Les pauls, etc... since they have different combinations of the 2 pickups? Which would be a good guitar to start off with?

Scouted arnd city music and swee lee for the familiar ibanez, epiphone, etc. The frenly staff at city music recommended a craftman guitar with 2 single coils and a humbucker pickup combination going for $200 plus a bit for a start. I saw the craftman les paul at city music at arnd $300 plus. The Les Paul looks dam nice for that price. There are some good reviews on that in this forum as well.

So any recommendations for a startup guitar bros?

Thanks in advance!

the guitar for you... is the one you fancy after trying
star-wars-smiley-5472.gif

try as many guitars as you can, different shapes, pickup combo, wood type, etc. the one you like after much trying is the one for you.

Agreed bro. But just want to hear from you all based on your experiences. There is so much a beginner like me can try out. Thanks.

I saw the craftman les paul GS300 and GS200 and was comparing. Besides the wood, I saw the pickups are different. One is using Chrome H-H, the other is using Wilkison H-H. What is the difference between the 2 pickups?

the sound is diff I guess.
when you buy guitar make sure the frets are ok, don't have dinks in the frets, make sure neck is not warp, make sure intonation is not out, and you like the design and sound then buy lah

I too recently got an electric after many years on the acoustic. Picked a cheap J&D tele because I liked it and a cheap red strat is just too common haha

The different types like strats, teles, les pauls etc have certain distinctive sounds attributed to them over the years thanks to stereotypes and popular music. Much like different shapes, sizes and choice of wood for acoustics. However due to the infinite variables such as wood (neck, body, fretboard), pickups (even the placement of the same pickups can have drastic effects), strings, nut, bridge, everything really... and we haven't even come to adding effects pedals yet... I feel that it matters less and less what type of guitar you have. You can make a strat sound like a tele and a tele sound like a les paul. And you can make all 3 sound like a pipe organ or spaceship with the right effects :p

Thanks for your comments bro!

I foresee I will use it to play in church for a mix of rhythm and occasional solos. I was looking at the strats, tele and les pauls as well. Thought it would be wise to have a combination of single coils and humbuckers so that you get to choose whether you want bright or warm sound. Make sense? :p But I love the design and sunburst colors of the les paul man... Is there a thread here that discusses the differences between them?

since you are new to this, my reference to 'shred' here means to play fast. ignore this tag because the guitars are worthy for your considerations regardless if you play fast or otherwise. the Les Paul type guitars would very much be utilitarian; pretty much suitable for anything. if i were you, i'd check the SMASH out first then move on from there
star-wars-smiley-6384.gif

You seem pretty set on the Les Pauls so just go for it man, you will be happier playing a guitar that looks great to you.

In terms of bright/warm most guitars will have one or more "tone" knobs which filters out the higher frequencies. At max setting the selected pickup will sound more treble-y, when turned down the highs will be cut leaving a mellower sound, so regardless of single or humbucking pickups you can get a variety of tones.

Another difference I forgot to mention is the neck profile. How it sounds is one thing but how it plays is also very important. Different shape/cutting and width of the neck will affect how fast (what subversion mention as 'shred') and how comfortably you can play. Even though the action is much lower than acoustic guitars don't overestimate how easy it is to play especially for extended periods of time. I make sure I can reach my thumb over the top comfortably without straining my wrist. Depends on your playing style so definitely go by feel.

Thanks for all your comments. My last qn. Do people use les paul, strats or teles for different occasions/playing style? In another words, when would you use a LP, when would you use strats and for teles?

just a question though, what your budget? With your budget we can help reccomend some guitars within the price range, and from Subs links +1 to the Ibanez SA260FM. I play in church to and its really good even whilst stock. Very nice whammy-able bridge with a very nice neck :D I <3 Satin

when would you use a LP, when would you use strats and for teles?

There are certain stereotypes e.g. teles for country due to the twangy single coil, LP for hard rock due to the dirtier humbucker sound. This is probably because there were less options so the type of guitar does usually determine the sound that you'll get. But there are also many well-known guitarists who use teles for metal or Les Pauls for blues. Nowadays you can get strats with SSS, HSS, HSH, HH, or any combination of pickups you dare to dream of and the type of guitar does not restrict you to a particular genre/style unless you are a purist when it comes to such things.

just a question though, what your budget? With your budget we can help reccomend some guitars within the price range, and from Subs links +1 to the Ibanez SA260FM. I play in church to and its really good even whilst stock. Very nice whammy-able bridge with a very nice neck :D I <3 Satin

budget between 300-400 for a beginner ba...

ahh come on forget about LP, use strat they are the most versatile guitar the world has ever known

Back