NDP 09 Song.

biopromax

http://202.157.174.100/20090702-ss-NDP09/Player.html >> Click to see the Video.

Local pop rock and indie band, Electrico, will be wowing the crowd at this year’s National Day celebrations with a heart-rending finale titled ‘What Do You See?’.

This is the first time that the theme song will be composed and performed by the band.

The ballad composition is a question directed at all Singaporeans and is a rousing call to look beyond the surface, to ‘see’ into the future, envision, imagine, dream and hope.

The song is a light-hearted and fitting with this year’s theme of ‘coming together’ as a nation.

“The song is a reflection of how far we have come as a nation,” said Electrico’s lead singer David Tan.

In the same vein, Electrico has come far as a band in the local indie scene.

- STOMP

What's your say?

I should say, WELL DONE GUYS!

very well done by electrico. the melody however sounds like a few known songs combined hmm :rolleyes:

My first few impressions of the song weren't good. Because I'm a student in the media industry I got to hear the song a few weeks before the public and I wasn't too impressed...thought it sounded like generic post-punk Electrico by the numbers. A few more listens however and it's grown on me though. Think that this song will require heavy rotation on the airwaves to sink in.

My only question is whether they will actually perform this live at NDP or whether they'll mime? At the press conference Dave didn't even bother playing guitar on it, and the band relied pretty much on the backing track for the keyboards and guitars. Is that gonna be the same case at NDP as well? Or perhaps it'll even be like Superbowl and only Dave will be live, with William and Desmond miming along. Hmm...

Don't get me wrong, I like Electrico. I just never thought they'd end up singing a National Day Parade song and have it considered being a 'progression'. I liked them most during the "So Much More Inside" and maybe some of the 'Hip City' days. Been to many of their shows too.

Undoubtedly, Electrico is the epitome of what Singapore is. 'Safe and non-offensive'

Miss Amanda Ling still. But still like them as a band.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I like Electrico. I just never thought they'd end up singing a National Day Parade song and have it considered being a 'progression'.

Well from the POV of the local scene, it's quite a milestone to have a local rock band perform the song for once. That the song is entirely locally composed shouldn't also be forgotten.

If you're talking about Electrico specifically, I'd just like to point out that Electrico have never really hidden their ambitions to be mainstream anyway. Add to that the well documented patriotic streak in their music (see entirety of "Hip City") and this actually makes sense.

it'd probably be mimed. everything on ndp is mimed, isn't it? right down to the fanfare?

that aside, i like the song, have only heard it a couple of times but i know it's gonna grow on me. at least it doesn't have a cheesy melody/induce cheesy dance moves. solid effort!

Back