Musicianship: The Men who Played Squatting Down

pf

Hello all ~~

I watched a very awesome gig in Tokyo on Tuesday night, 15 Dec. It was in a very very small jazz club called Jirokichi (http://www.jirokichi.net/) at the basement of a small building about 15mins away from Shinjuku.

front.jpg

Gig at a VERY small Jazz Club
It had about 10 small tables. About 50 people squeezed into the small place that night and it was full already. A couple of people had to stand at the back. The first tables nearest to the stage was within 2 steps away from the musicians.

The music charge was 2,700yen per pax (about S$42). The usual for a small gigs in Tokyo, not bad, I thought to myself before the gig.

The Men who Played Squatting Down
One thing which really impressed me that night was the men who played squatting down. They are the bassist and guitarist.

The band had 6 members. Pianist, saxaphonist, drums, bassist, guiarist and percussionist.

The bassist and guitarist were positioned in front of the percussionist. They squatted down to play during the percussionist's solo!

The percussionist has his due limelight due to the display of humility of these musicians.

During the drummer's solo, the saxaphonist who was positioned in front of the drummer also squatted down for him.

Wow. To me, this gives me a a whole new understanding to musicianship.

The Musicians
But this gig is by a pretty special band. The live schedule shows:
15日(火) バカボン鈴木セッション
本田雅人sax 増崎孝司g 青柳誠key ヤヒロトモヒロperc
バカボン鈴木b 鶴谷智生dr

Yes. For those of you who knows of the Japanese Jazz scene. You would have immediately picked out 3 rather famous musicians (comparatively speaking to us outside Japan). They are really no small fry.

1. Masato Honda on sax (本田雅人)

IMG_1546_1.jpg

2. Matsuzaki Takeshi on guitar (増崎孝司)

masuzaki.jpg

3. Aoyagi Makoto on keys (青柳誠)

face_1111.jpg

Gig was Well Rehearsed
The band was superb and they provide brilliant fusion jazz performance that night and belted out amazing solos 1 after another. The band was tight and each band member played their parts. The arrangements were meticulous written on grand staff. An indication of the format of the gig being well thought and rehearsed.

The band members all looked tired. However, each gave their 100% during the gig. Their show of professionalism even though this was a small gig was impressive too.

Kudos to Matsuzaki Takeshi, the bassist Vagabond Suzuki and Masato Honda!!! Appreciation to the other musicians who brought on this great show as well.

This gig is worth every yen I paid and more.

PS: some pics taken at the gig coming up...once I got them sorted out...

Last edited:
Kudos to them man.. After reading this thread, im simply touched by what they did. Musicianship was physically displayed by them through their acts and tight playing..Its like musicianship at its peak. Wow what an amazement! i wish i was there :(

Yeah. What these big boys did touched me a lot. So, just wanna share with you guys. :)

Nice writeup. This is one of the things I told myself I must do at least once in my life - visit Japan and check out the bands playing in their music clubs.

The Japanese musicians never fail to impress me by how disciplined and meticulous their approach is. Amazing stuff.

many good acts in big cities like tokyo and osaka. people of all professions from all over the country head there and only the best make it. if not, it's back to the inaka (田舎) for them. which is why although tokyo isn't that big a city, it has a population of 35 million.

2700 yen isn't a small sum even for a small club. but in the end you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
shinobi, if you check out masato honda's or Dimension's (masuzaki takashi's band) website, you'll see that their normal gig is in the range of 5,000 to 6,000 yen.

Well, I guess its not always about the money. :)

Masato Honda!? He was one of the saxaphonist for T-Square! Really sound. This sounds really awesome, looking forward to your post regarding this.

pf, any video link?

mel80, at least once in my life -
u sure visit Japan and check out the bands in clubs only meh..? hehe

Yes. Masato Honda played in T Square before. He doesn't seem to need to breathe when he's playing. haha...

Nope, sorry, no video link.

Well, here's some of the pics. Finally got it working.

16545_211317531675_718796675_3550776_4549042_n.jpg

16545_211317601675_718796675_3550778_8101392_n.jpg

This one above, Masato Honda, was singing backup and Aoyagi Makoto was playing bass. Hehehe....quite cute.

Last edited:
Apparently, not much Singaporeans know about T-Square, I'm surprised you know. It's very charming to know that someone else heard of them. And yes, you're right about him not breathing when he plays. It's like he has unlimited amount of breath inside him!

Yes. I know nutz until my teacher shared with me about T-Square and Casiopea. Then I discovered other Japanese bands which members of T-Square has played or is playing in.

I wasn't that captivated by Masato Honda until I saw him live. His sound is incredible. Unlike any other. Like CD quality.

I checked up whats rotary breathing. hahaha....that must be it. Never heard of this technique until Cheez brought it up. :D

First time I heard rotary breathing was in my sec school days - an album of Wynton Marsalis playing Paganini's "Moto Perpetuo" - all in "one breath". Man, it makes me breathless just to listen to it! I have the piece, but there's no way I can play it with rotary breathing. Attempting though...

Rotary Breathing to my knowledge came from a di zi master in 1950s. This technique is unheard in the past even in the west. Later on, it start to spread overall the world. In Di Zi grade 8 or 9, it is a must skill to learn and pass. Rotary Breathing is not easy skill and can be health damaging.

Interesting. I think the Aborigines in Australia did that long ago as well with the didgeridoo... It's unheard in the west because nobody write pieces for it. Until Paganini turns up...and somebody transcribed it for the trumpet. By the way, we also call it circular breathing.

Back