Modding Wah-wah.

teleplayer

I'm thinking of modding my v847.. I think it has true bypass as when i switched it off, my distortion still sounds the same. I bought it from citymusic last year.. and I saw this web:http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/

There's alot of mods inside and i wonder if anyone know if any shop in singapore helps people to mod the following:
1)voicing mod with the external knob
2)sweep mod 6position rotary switch
3)and maybe installation of LED..

Thanks in advance!

The Vox V847A does not have true bypass. If you can solder, get a DPDT switch and DIY. If you want LED, get a 3PDT switch. If you can't, then get your pedal to Seekz. Voicing mod, switch mod etc require mod on the PCB or you may want a wah with custom PCB. ;)

The Vox V847A does not have true bypass. If you can solder, get a DPDT switch and DIY. If you want LED, get a 3PDT switch. If you can't, then get your pedal to Seekz. Voicing mod, switch mod etc require mod on the PCB or you may want a wah with custom PCB. ;)

HEY! Thanks for showing me that thread man! That's the kind of wah i want to get with my v847!! Does goose has a workplace or what?

Thanks for the reference Ryanz.

Teleplayer, i dont think its a real necessity to mod your wah to true bypass since there's no difference in your distortion tone when off. you can however consider a mod like mine if you find that the standard Vox sound too much of a one trick pony for your tastes. I find stock it sounds better than your standard crybaby but it sucks big time if you'r planning to use it with distortion.

Thanks for the reference Ryanz.

Teleplayer, i dont think its a real necessity to mod your wah to true bypass since there's no difference in your distortion tone when off. you can however consider a mod like mine if you find that the standard Vox sound too much of a one trick pony for your tastes. I find stock it sounds better than your standard crybaby but it sucks big time if you'r planning to use it with distortion.

I agree man. the vox wah only sound good with clean..

If you realise from the thread, Goose had to basically replace the whole PCB and make his own, cos the stock PCB is surface mounted, and not conducive for modding. Bypass mod alone would be easy. But to mod the specifics that you require may amount to a bit of time and expense. But then again have to ask the man himself.

If you realise from the thread, Goose had to basically replace the whole PCB and make his own, cos the stock PCB is surface mounted, and not conducive for modding. Bypass mod alone would be easy. But to mod the specifics that you require may amount to a bit of time and expense. But then again have to ask the man himself.

He stopped taking any job for modding already =(

LOL. the pedal looks good...

Anyway, does anyone know where to get wah modded other than going to sound alchemy?

Oh YA!! HAHA Thanks for telling me man! I bought my guitar from them and I can say, they are real real real real friendly! :D

Most likely it'll be easier to just sell your wah and get a crybaby GCB 95 or an orginal vox v847 rather than try modding your v848-a.

The SMD components are just a pain in the ass to do unless you have pwnage handphone ah beng soldering skillz zorx. Goose was really kind enough to undertake that custom PCB project as he wasnt too busy that time :D

well,i tried modding its sweep cap and it does not make any diff,so y not bring it down to goose,hes weeping goose mod is quite reasonable and for more info ask IZED

I lol'ed at this

Thread digger! Cant believe that someone would actually dig this up to lol at that....but hey...cool that you picked that up! Gives myself some false needless assurance that at least my sense of humour aint lacking...heh.

I recently had a chance to AB an actual 70s vintage Italian JEN wah, yes the original Italian JEN (not by Dunlop or VOX). Goose actually managed to tweak his Weeping Goose to sound surprisingly close to that wah's voicing. Nice! :)

I recently had a chance to AB an actual 70s vintage Italian JEN wah, yes the original Italian JEN (not by Dunlop or VOX). Goose actually managed to tweak his Weeping Goose to sound surprisingly close to that wah's voicing. Nice! :)

whoah shit. where did u get to test that jen wah!??!

although i wasnt impressed with the jen crybaby anyway. the vintage clyde mccoys are still my thang

I do not notice much diff between my unmodded wah and my teacher's modded wah.. so i'll advise you not to bother unless it sounds unacceptably different while in the chain. and the LED is not that important unless you plan to gig i guess.. save money for other stuff! :)

We had an original Jen that came if for repairs with a dead Fasel inductor..... so took the opportunity to have a closer look since it sounded soooooooo good !!

We had narrowed it down to the part that makes the biggest difference and went on a hunt to look for that component ...... and we found some NOS.
dancing-banana.gif

Threw it in my custom and got it 99% close to the Jen except for the sweep, since i am using hot potz2 on my custom ....but this is no biggy as you can get use to the sweep.

What we noticed with the Jen is that when the wah is engaged there is a very subtle attenuation in the toe position till you start to sweep ...this is sooo cool for that seamless wah operation.

Now that alone was worth the effort... :cool:

Soon i am looking at maybe doin a drop in pcb made for sale with all the Jen goodnes ..... fingers crossed!

Back