MISCONCEPTIONS of heavy metal.

ya i agree, dat tchr is juz fucked up man...he's christian but there shld be a line btwn work & personal man, even if he wants to go out, he can juz leave e damn room quietly, instead of telling every1 wad he's feeling. so i guess either e ppl in e room tinks he's mad, or they'll tink dat metal music is anti religion etc...

being a guitar tchr, he shld be open to all kinds of music i guess, so juz how professional is he??

VERY unprofessional. Hallowed be thy name is my all-time favourite song by my all-time favourite band. Bleah. But that's not the point I guess =x

Has the media influenced your position and your viewpoint on metal ever? Even as a young kid when you knew nuts about what the genre really is about?

Has the media influenced your position and your viewpoint on metal ever? Even as a young kid when you knew nuts about what the genre really is about?

--> as i said, in e newspapers like when they say so & so rockstar arrested for fighting drinking etc.

ya e tchr's juz screwed up la, he's conservative & many other tings bout him pissed us off too, but shall not post it here haha, he plays classical music wad, but he's pretty gd in terms or guitar playing.

i'm a free thinker, so juz curious, are there any Christians out there who are offended by hallowed be thy name???

HELLO CANDIE. haha. see you're working hard on your assignment. in local context, I guess it's gonna be harder to elaborate?

Anyway, see you! And yeh, we're in the same boat about the deadlines. Gahh.

in Sing, classic Rock and Metal will no doubt remain underground for a long long time. purely for musician types and listeners that are into it.

Lets not forget, during the 60s, the music of Elvis Presley n the Beatles was once considered the 'devil's music' :D

Is the argument going to be based solely on how the media fuels misconceptions of heavy metal? If you look at heavy metal music and its fans, it is really a sub culture with a lot of 'characters' within the sub culture it self. Here's an article that might help.

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history.html

I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it's at least something to think about. I'm not sure about how u feel towards the subject but who knows, you might conclude that heavy metal listeners can have a greater tendency towards violence etc. It really depends on the variables you choose to look at.

Paulo said:
Lets not forget, during the 60s, the music of Elvis Presley n the Beatles was once considered the 'devil's music' :D

:lol: And Scott Joplin's music, i.e Ragtime was played in whore houses in the early 1900s

Tribalcast said:
candie said:
I guess generally people of the older generation tend to stereotype metal as evil satanic blahblah. But exactly HOW did that stereotyped image come about?

One more thing: Why do people like to sport pentagrams?

Older Generation + Pentagram = Satanic

Younger Generation + Pentagram = Uber Kult Cool

also..

Slitting your wrists in the 80s/early 90s = Satanic/Occult

Slitting your wrists now = EMO

hey candie. u asked abt why pple sport pentagrams. well the pentagram holds a diff meaning to what pple actually perceive it to be. worn the right way up its a protective sign of the 5 elements. in no way has it any relation to satanism. even the word satanism is pretty much contradictive cos real satanists dont believe in satan but rather self indulgence and the 7 sins.

This thing have been argue over and over again.....abt how ppl misconception of metal music....think again in this way.....if loyal fan or should i call them disciple of metal wouldnt take metal music to the extreme or make it as a cult, ppl won't misunderstand them as satanism genre or watever negative remarks.....but then again, if people who are not into metal genre and try very hard not to actually understand the whole concept of metal genre and blindly misconcept them as satanic or noisy music den is just are utterly rubbish for them to think that way

blame the kids, they spoil everything. i bet with you half the kids in the so called scene dont know what a pentagram is or stands for, and what the real significance of corpsepaint is, they do it because they think its cool, people from outside see that and think its ridiculous and evil, so there you go.

GC said:
Is the argument going to be based solely on how the media fuels misconceptions of heavy metal? If you look at heavy metal music and its fans, it is really a sub culture with a lot of 'characters' within the sub culture it self.

The article's basically gonna be about what misconceptions about heavy metal exist, and whether the media fuels it and if it's mainly because of the media that such misconceptions exist.

Abit hard to do in the local context =\

ARGH deadline's on monday. Mampos.

Anyhow, anyone knows any *local* tv shows/articles blahblah media info that portrays metal in a bad light?

candie said:
Abit hard to do in the local context =\

ARGH deadline's on monday. Mampos.

Try doing a search mediacorp+heavy metal or suria+.... Sometimes synopes of programs can get you by.

Anyway are you restrictied to quantitative data? The act of posting this question here means you have gathered some qualitative data already. Use it in your paper. Call friends and interview them, at least 5 ppl. This should give some clout to your paper.

If u get a bit creative, anything is possible. Watched the latest superband? You can describe the differences between the rock/metal fans and the pop fans. Anything that's shown on TV can be considered influence. Also plenty of music fans and bands have blogs, u can get opinions from there.

Creeping_Deth said:
Its a phrase from the Lord's prayer, the most important prayer in Xtianity. And the song is about a prisoner being executed. Maybe the teacher thought the guy was a parody of jesus or sth.

the song is supposed to be about some guy being executed. i would think if anything the guy is reciting the prayer as walks towards the execution grounds. so really the song has no real religious meaning, it's just a story.

anyway the hell with your ignorant bigot teacher.

GC said:
Paulo said:

:lol: And Scott Joplin's music, i.e Ragtime was played in whore houses in the early 1900s

Yeah not to mention The Beatles Helter Skelter that so called woken up Charles Manson and turning him into what he is. A killer that never really killed anybody.

Back