MISCONCEPTIONS of heavy metal.

candie

Hello people. I'm doing this assignment on how media influences and sometimes fuels the misconceptions of heavy metal in Singapore, so I would really appreciate if you guys list me anything in the local media that actually fuels such misconceptions.

E.g. that Hanyut show on Suria about the boy who listens to metal and goes bad etc etc.

Anything? From magazines, newspapers, tv shows or whatnots? Please help, my deadline's looming. Lol.

Many thanks!

Most general misconception:

Metal is evil. People who listen to and play metal music worship Satan blah blah blah. That's all I can think of atm.

and they have this perception that any core songs are considered as black metal.and wearing black.and chains around the body.

that's crap.

Thanks guys, what about other misconceptions?

Oh, have you guys come across any specific articles/movies portraying metal in such a way?

TequilaSunrise said:

Metal is evil. People who listen to and play metal music worship Satan blah blah blah. That's all I can think of atm.

They fear because they do not understand.

Not really local , but the movie "Detroit rock city" - abt some teenagers going to watch a K.I.S.S concert has some anti-rock mom stereotypes and stuff like that if I remember correctly. You might wanna check it out.

Agrophobic said:
Metal = Noise. Rubbish music. Damage your ears.

i guess this is really wot teh publik thinks of metal. i was doin sum presentation on my music GEM, presenting on metallica's call of ktulu and sum dorky kids said metallica is just noise. kinda sad cuz some things are just too musically powerfull and complicating that these people will never be able to process the music fast enough. I guess they only like to listen to chinese pop or J pop coz its easier on the brain. Oh yeah, for metal, i think only the good bands really rock, but sum other bands really make me feel sad for metal cos sometime it really is noise.

actually e same image not only applies to metal, it applies to the rock ppl too, like to the public a rockstar is one who gets drunk, fights & does nth gd, dat sort of ting.

in e past i used to tink so too, but not every1 who is metal drinks, smokes, i tink i've read in articles like newspapers interviewing rockstars, & e rockstars say how they've been through rehabilitation etc...dats why e bad public image

plus, some metal albums have skulls gory images on them etc...so if ppl juz look at e covers but dun listen to their music, they get e wrong idea...

i heard dat call of ktulu was cliff's idea, i heard dat e ktulu was some monster stuff & cliff liked to read those kind of books, not sure either, is it true? but call of ktulu is damn nice

but METAL & METALLICA STILL ROCKS!! HAHA! :D

Cliffdove said:
TequilaSunrise said:

They fear because they do not understand.

I first discovered that line during the time I was watching the X-Men animated series. Not the chessy Evolution one. Hahah sorry off topic.

Well anyways imo, majority of the people who say Metal is nothing more then noise usually don't know what they're talking about. Some based on ignorance, some based on musical preference and some just simply hate it without any proper reason.

I think it would help a little bit if these group of people would actually see or go through the process of making metal music (in general at least) or feel what's it like to be in a metal band.

Maybe it's due to an accepted conception where metal music or metal genre as a whole is nothing more then a group guys or girls trying to scream for the sake of annoying someone else.

So do we blame the tv or magazines for that or really don't give a poop?

I guess generally people of the older generation tend to stereotype metal as evil satanic blahblah. But exactly HOW did that stereotyped image come about?

One more thing: Why do people like to sport pentagrams?

Heavy metal is a genre of rock music that emerged as a defined musical style in the 1970s, having its roots in hard rock bands which, between 1967 and 1974, mixed blues and rock to create a hybrid with a thick, heavy, guitar-and-drums-centered sound, characterised by the use of highly-amplified distortion. Out of heavy metal various subgenres later evolved, many of which are referred to simply as "metal". As a result, "heavy metal" now has two distinct meanings: either the genre as a whole or what is known as "traditional heavy metal" in the 1970s style, as exemplified by the likes of Black Sabbath, Blue Cheer, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Vanilla Fudge and others.

Heavy metal began gaining popularity in the 1970's and 80's, at which time many of the now existing subgenres first evolved. Heavy metal has a large world-wide following of fans known by terms such as metalheads and headbangers.

candie said:
I guess generally people of the older generation tend to stereotype metal as evil satanic blahblah. But exactly HOW did that stereotyped image come about?

One more thing: Why do people like to sport pentagrams?

Older Generation + Pentagram = Satanic

Younger Generation + Pentagram = Uber Kult Cool

A stereotyped image may come from two things. A form of media or from the word of mouth. Then try to compare that with each other. Which one of them has a better potential to spread a perception and have a fast effect?

Well that's what I think at least.

i'm in a guitar club in sch, its an ensemble actually, playing classical music etc

so once we performed a band item for e ppl in the guitar room, & they asked for encore, so we thought of playing hallowed be thy name by iron maiden. & den the classical guitar tchr suddenly become serious, he said sth like
'u ppl here can choose to listen to wad kind of music u wanna hear, whether u are christian muslim etc, but i dun really support music that is anti certain religion (christian of coz), so if u all wanna listen to them play songs dat are anti certain religion, u all can stay here coz i'm gonna leave, & call me back when u all are done playing'

den we're like wtf, we still wanted to play, but e mood wasn't there anymore, btw e tchr is a christian, catholic i think, & we're damn pissed wif e tchr like wth is his problem. btw e tchr has a tendency to have sudden outbursts at times & is xtremely sensitive to certain issues & can become angry out of a sudden other times.

so i'd like to ask is hallowed be thy name anti-christ????

Its a phrase from the Lord's prayer, the most important prayer in Xtianity. And the song is about a prisoner being executed. Maybe the teacher thought the guy was a parody of jesus or sth.

Hmm if a teacher were to do that then I think he or she isn't really doing his or her job. Because an emotion has overtaken the duty of which to pass on a knowledge as a teacher. And in doing so would probably influence some kind of conception to a certain amount of students in the class.

Imo at least. :lol:

Back