"It's time to zhng this guitar, buuut...."

SherT

So I've been thinking about putting a killswitch into my little Hamer for some time now.

Thing is, its is running on two tone knobs, one controlling each pickup, one volume knob, and a single toggle switch that acts as a pickup selector, but I was thinking of replacing that switch with a more solid one and rewiring it to be a 3-way toggle for the killswitch, i.e. "On" in the middle position and "Off" in the other two positions.

Does that mean that I will effectively eliminate the option of switching between the neck and bridge pickups? Would it make more sense to drill an additonal hole into the cavity and install an entirely new toggle switch instead?

yes you would not be able to switch between pups...

or unless you wanan do quirky stuff like install a push pull pot for toggling between pups. which doesn't make sense. :p

Get a button.

I have installed one on my guitar.

Picture021.jpg

that red button.

Which model and how much $$$ was your hamer ?
Hows the feel ??
Was just BROWSING hAMER WEBSITE !!

Btw decide on the type of killswitch first ....
a> latching toggle
b> non lacthing toggle (bounces back to "on"position)
c> latching push button (click in... click out type)
d> non latching push button (push "off" release "on")

Next where you want it ...
a> top (like LP) ..if you already have somekinda routing to accomadate>>
b> bottom away from vol knob
c> bottom close to volume knob....

:wink:

Sorry bro, forgot to mention, I was thinking a non-latching toggle actually. Seems like the general consensus is that the button is damn annoying to try and coordinate with rhythm.

Mine is a Hamer SATF. Cheap cheap one lah :p . Haha. This one destined to my backup/project guitar soon. Feel-wise, the back of the neck got quite a thick finish. It's a hit or miss lah, but I like it. Neck profile quite comfortable, but I'll definitely be searching for something a little more chunky in my next guitar. Only gripe I have with the thing is that the upper frets, from like, 15 onwards to 22, are a pain in the ass. They're spaced too damn near, although access isn't really that much of a problem.

I don't have much of a choice position-wise cos there's only one cavity in the body large enough to accomodate any additional circuitry, and that's where the knobs and switch already are. I'll try and put up a picture of it later.

Any idea where to source for good quality toggle switches around here?

buy online better choice...Davis should carry small variety too...if possible try sim lim tower ....you must 8O 8O ya.

SherT said:
Sorry bro, forgot to mention, I was thinking a non-latching toggle actually. Seems like the general consensus is that the button is damn annoying to try and coordinate with rhythm.

hmmm... have you seen buckethead perform with his white LP? It has a button for a kill switch.

I find that besides the LP-type 3-way toggle, the button is also way up there. It works for me at least... easy to do stutter rhtyhms.

Just difficult to compose something with it.

Sim Lim Towers sells some good mini toggles switches.. I buy most of mine from there. The momentary switches you're looking for can be found there, no problem.. Waaay more expensive buying online.. And no difference in quality..

I reckon if you consider the shipping cost for bringing in a couple of switches it will add up to be about the same price anyway.

Unless anyone is interested in doing another mass order for parts. :p

Er, not really, mate.. The ones you get online will be at least double the price of those in Singapore, unless you're looking to buy 50 or more.. But even at 50 pieces, you're still paying an extra $1 per piece.. This is with shipping added in, by the way.. Seriously, get it from Sim Lim Tower..

Hehe.
Get from me lah.

I got like... 5 MIA buttons with me now.

I bought so many because I wanted to make sure I had quality replacements available.

I dunno man.

When I first asked myself what kind of killswitch to get I thought thru it a lot, and the button just made the most sense to me.

Press, signal cut.

Let go, signal restored.

I dunno how much easier can kill-switching be... so i'm quite puzzled to why you say the general consensus about buttons is its hard to coordinate.

The ONLY thing hard to coordinate is that we are used to PRESS = got sound. LET GO = no sound. Which is the opposite of what the kill button would do. I've gotten used to it already.

If you had an LP-style toggle, you still have to grip the toggle switch to do the kill switch thing - you will be slower since you have to swap your pick position.

First of all, I'll admit, I haven't actually tried out a button operated killswitch before, I've heard several horror stories from those who have though, and they told me exact same thing you said, the Press=got sound let go=no sound thing, and that it's difficult to coordinate with rhythms.

Maybe you're right, but i wouldn't know. So if I do go the button route, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. :p

Non-invasive methods:

1. You could rewire your controls to 2 volume 1 tone. That way you can turn down one of the pickups and use the pickup selector as a killswitch, the classic way people to do on LPs.

2. You might be able to rewire teh pickup selector to kill on one of the positions. Though this would probably reduce your pickup selection options.

3. You could take out one of the tone pots, rewire for one master vol and one master tone. Use the hole left by the tone pot for a killswitch, either toggle type or button.

For the button thingy, there are ways to change it to: press got sound, release no sound. But you'll need an additional switch somewhere, either a toggle or a push pull.

SherT said:
First of all, I'll admit, I haven't actually tried out a button operated killswitch before, I've heard several horror stories from those who have though, and they told me exact same thing you said, the Press=got sound let go=no sound thing, and that it's difficult to coordinate with rhythms.

Maybe you're right, but i wouldn't know. So if I do go the button route, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. :p

Well... people get used to it...

Or do what Ark suggested... 2 vol , 1 tone. Or 1 vol, 1 tone, 1 killswitch.

Eh. Experiment first lah. :p

Change to 1 vol, 1 tone, 1 LP 3-way toggle.

You can get my button switch for... i dunno... $2? YES, i had to ship it from America. Hahaha... mojo confirmed, you will KILL like no other!

Heck forget it. Just meet me, i'll pass one to you.

The button will fit in the same hole as a Pot.

LP style toggle will need enlarging if I am not wrong. 2 way mini toggle can be used but its still and requires a good grip on it to move it fast.

Back