Is it just me or...

ShredAddict

Are people becoming more cost conscious when it comes to buying gear instead of being tone conscious?

I realised nowadays people are not gassing for specific guitars like maybe a Suhr or a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Instead, they are all steering in the direction of "which is the most bang for buck" guitar available. Heck, people aren't even bothered with specs which I feel are important. It almost feels like they are buying for the sake of buying (cos it's just cheap enough to try) instead of buying cos you want it so badly (cause all your dream specs are in that one guitar).

I wouldn't like the idea of buying a cheap guitar and end up upgrading the parts etc. I prefer to play a guitar stock from the start till the end (with a few pickup swaps along the way). I don't see the point in people buying guitars equipped with cheap floating trems when they are not going to stay in tune for long anyway.

What do you guys think?

IMO, with so many new manufacturers/sub-companies starting up, I think we the consumers are rather spoiled for choice, so after all the guitar oogling, be it online or at the shop, certain consumers may be confused as to what will be the right guitar for him/her. Of course I'm assuming that you're including beginners in the picture. Because of this, they may ignore the specs of the guitar and just go with how it feels and looks, IMO, nothing wrong with that. If you can find a great guitar at a great price, that feels good in your hands, why not?

However for me, I will take the specs that I have in mind, as well as a certain budget, and I will hunt for the guitar that feels good within that. I know what kind of tone I'm looking for and also know what tone woods are usually used in guitars that usually used to produce that kind of tone, so that narrows down my search to about 2-3 types of tone wood, max. Of course, there are other factors like pickups, hardware etc. In summary, it's the alchemy of all the parts that produce a great playing and sounding guitar. That's why there are certain pieces that have exactly the same specs, come from the same production line, but a certain part of the guitar comes from a different part of the same tree which gives it better resonance etc. That will give you a guitar that may be better sounding than the other.

I know this how? Only through experimenting (and some reading up of course:D) I've tried all the MIJ Fender standard strats at Sound Alchemy, and they all are different to me, some really shine, the rest are just average. So sometimes I try to ignore the preference I have for a certain outlook and finish for a guitar, and just play it and accept it for what it is.

Another example of an experience I have was that I was jamming that day, and we were about to play a Darkness song (Love on the rocks with no iceeee). My friend's Gibson LP studio was sitting there, and I thought, hey why not just plug it in, just for fun. And I was blown away but how it sounded and played, despite it being a studio. It just felt right in my hands:)

what i think:

i didn't really get the whole point of this thread. so the gist of the whole thing is,

people wanting products which are bang for buck because they have limited budget = a bad thing?

i think not

After trying so many guitars, I feel that comfort is the number 1 priority. If it feels good in your hands, you probably would have a hard time letting it go.

Nothing against cheaper guitars but when it comes to neck feel, nothing comes close to the necks / body contours of the more expensive guitars. we also have to take note of things like fretwork, neck sturdiness and fret sizes. Wood is widely available yes but worksmanship is what brings a guitar to another level.

Can a craftsman guitar feel like a Suhr? no matter how you set it up or swap out hardware, it still won't feel like a Suhr. soundwise we let our ears be the judge of course.

I feel there is a point to this thread. it makes us more tolerant towards low ballers.

It makes sense why there are more and more people around making ridiculous offers for 2nd hand items thinking a guitar is a guitar and since all of them are the same thing (ignoring specs and only distinguishing them by their shape), all of them should be sold at the same low price. However since it's 2nd hand, it should be cheaper.

sigh. we can only blame ignorance.

I once tried a Stagg Tele that felt absolutely stunning and sounded absolutely stellar. It was dirt cheap too!
However I had just bought a Gibson SG a few days prior to that, and as I roamed about Penin looking at other shops, I decided to purchase the guitar. Within that half an hour of aimless walking someone had actually purchased the guitar and I auditioned 3 other Staggs but they felt different.

Oh well. I have the same philosophy. I like the guitar for what it is and don't have any intention of changing anything. If the sound is not working then make it work. As simple as that. Neck pickup sounds better through Amp A than Amp B, but bridge sounds better with Amp B than Amp A, compromise or swap pickups and blindly hope that new pups work equally well with both amps? (Or my philosophy now just run in stereo lah lol)

All in all, I'd only change hardware for things that require changing in the first place. My bridge is almost worn out since my SG is made in 94. Likewise with my tuners. If not I'd be content on leaving them as is.

I feel that it's more of "since it's cheap, I'll just buy for the heck of it" ignoring the usual factors of choosing a good guitar like a good set up or sound. I'm not saying all cheap guitars are bad but their consistency has always been in question.

I buy cheap stuff because in my opinion, the cheaper stuff has been getting better and better, so is there really a point in spending more when something cheaper can get the job done equally well?

For one, I prefer my Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX to the Ibanez ICT700 which costs slightly over a thousand more. I prefer my J&D DG-Solo Cedar CEQ to my Ibanez SGT120 which I sold because after owning it for awhile, I really didn't like it. Sounded like crap.

I don't see cheap as bad. Just have to be more careful, that's all. I only buy stuff that I like, and it so happens that they are cheap. :p

I love my J&D tele. While I readily admit there's a lot more that can be improved upon, it's simply unwise for me to spend more. Your attitude seems to take for granted that everyone can afford, but are just choosing to be cheap? And that's not true.

IMO, its all about personal preference. For me if a guitar feels good and sounds good, it is good FOR ME.

I'm absolutely in love with my parts tele, which has been built from a craftsman body and a squier neck, but it just feels insane. And it can cover all the ground, so why do i prefer my tele to my ESP?

I have learnt over the years that a person does not pick the guitar, the guitar picks the person. Regardless of its price.

I have learnt over the years that a person does not pick the guitar, the guitar picks the person.
Sounds like a movie scene when the sacred sword or magical creature has found the CHOSEN ONE....haha!

Anyway I agree. If you love how your guitar sounds and it fits you like a glove, the price doesn't matter. IMO, an inexpensive but decently built guitar, upgraded with the right components and well set-up, can end up as very good instrument.

I have learnt over the years that a person does not pick the guitar, the guitar picks the person. Regardless of its price.

Agreed. Went through 6 Gibson SGs that I auditioned extensively and got the one that was the most beat-up. The first chord played and my friend was like "This is it! This is it!"

Like getting married like that hahaha.
Lol your friend must have been damn excited.
Well my guitar didn't really choose me, but we got to bond abit more and i always told myself to get accustomed to it.
Luckily i did.

Afterall the guitar is an extension of you, you should feel comfortable playing it. Just because something is cheap doesnt necessary mean that you are looking at cost over tone, i've played highend guitars before and alot just dont cut it or some dont even feel or sound the price.

I personally own an ESP Eclipse but im selling it, because compared to my tele i feel that it just doesnt cut it. And i use it for many genres.

It's not uncommon for people hear with their eyes. I'm sure everyone, including myself, are sometimes guilty of it. Perception over brand name and price tag is a powerful influence.

i've played guitars costing above a grand or two and i really question their price tag. i'm sure all of you have had such experience. we're talking about generic mass produced $2k to $3k guitars here, not the hand crafted boutiques.

Back