How to record proper like.

The-Warlord

(Sorry about making so many new topics and bugging everyone)
Ok so here is the deal, all in all and final. I got the M-audiophile 192, and it’s working, but in windows recording mixer (the standard volume adjustment thing), there is nothing under recording (should it be like that?) meaning I cannot adjust the volume of the mic. Also, obviously as I have the line out plugged into the L input of the breakout cables; it’s only in the L channel. I'm looking at this simple, cheap mixer:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB802
First of all, can I adjust the volume here? What would the set up look like? I.E. I’m thinking amp->mixer->breakout cables. Would I connect the mixer to the breakout cables by using the "main out" - would the computer then pick up a stereo signal? Also, what is the "FX" on the mixer? And how many Things can I record at once? As in, it has 6 inputs, so can I record 6 things at a time, or is that dependant on the software/sound card? Which input would the line from the amp go into? Just like line in 1? Basically, how do I plug in the guitar into the mixer and record it on the computer in stereo decently.

And then...monitors. I would be recording quite a bit, but mainly listening to music, and other things, such as playing games, audio-editing etc. So, would I either get monitors (such as the KRK RP5's) or would I simply get a decent set of speakers...why is it not possible to create a mix on a good set of speakers?

Sorry about the disorganization etc...But I don’t want to spend all my cash on stuff I don’t need. Also bear in mind these recordings are just for school projects and home recording stuff...it doesn’t need to be the best studio in the world!...Thanks everyone.

Audiophile

The control panel for M-audio cards is usually in the CONTROL PANEL of Your PC. Make its shortcut appear in the desktop or quick launch bar. You can do all the setting there and save it

>> And then...monitors. I would be recording quite a bit, but mainly listening to music, and other things, such as playing games, audio-editing etc. So, would I either get monitors (such as the KRK RP5's) or would I simply get a decent set of speakers...why is it not possible to create a mix on a good set of speakers?

If you are recording "quite a bit", you would want to get decent monitors.
You should trust your own ears when buying monitors but I do agree that it is hard to get all your choices in the same room to compare before you purchase.

Here's the lowdown on budget monitors according to blind test by several producers in the latest issue of future music (FM155):

Best overall - Yamaha MSP3 "Easily the best of the bunch in terms of accuracy and a definite first buy from this test".

Best for listening - Fostex PMO5 "Good listening monitors and a great 2nd set for A-B-ing which you can afford at this price".

Good for listening - KRK RP5 - "Nice sounding monitors; work for Rock or at higher levels but a little coloured in the bass region"

Good For accuracy - M-audio BX5 "Good accuracy but not as consistent as the Yamahas. A good buy though".

Avoid - anything made by Roland.

That's a lot of questions in one post. Let's try to deal with them one by one.

1. Windows Recording mixer. If you really wants to record via Windows (not recommended), you can use the Sound Recorder in Windows. But really, you should be using an audio recording software. That's the only way you can record multiple tracks.

2. L line out. As already mentioned in the other post, you should get either a mixer or a pair of monitor speakers. No good listening to mono.

3. Adjusting volume of mic. Audiophile should have a mixer software installed with the drivers. In the mixer software, you should be able to adjust the level of inputs and outputs.

4. FX in mixer. The "FX send" simply means you connect the mixer to an external FX unit (be it reverb of effects) and then send it back to the mixer. This way, you get to apply reverbs and effects to your mix. But then, with most audio softwares, you get decent reverbs and effects plug-ins bundled with it, although it will tax your CPU depending on how many tracks you are applying it to.

If you're on a tight budget, my suggestion is:
Don't get a mixer. Your onboard mixer that comes with your card should suffice; plus your card already has multiple audio inputs. Get a decent pair of speakers that at least let you connect L and R channel separately. Monitors can be costly - get it unless you are into serious audio production. But since you mentioned using it only for school projects, speakers should be OK. What you should get is an audio software for recording. Protools offer a free audio/ sequencer program but only works with Windows ME and 98 (link). Anvil Studio also offers a free program but only lets you record one audio track up to one minute (link). You may want to spend your money on an audio/ sequencer software if you do not already own one.

Re: Audiophile

KMA said:
The control panel for M-audio cards is usually in the CONTROL PANEL of Your PC. Make its shortcut appear in the desktop or quick launch bar. You can do all the setting there and save it

I have all the volumes in the control panel thing on full...

And how do I connect the guitar to record stereo?
And I basically need speakers that have a 1/4" jack for L and R...

M-Audio website

I have only experience with Delta 66 before. If I choose ASIO, which gives negligble latency, I need to choose two 1/4 jack for stereo connection. one for left and another for right. Please check the Tips and Tricks page in the M-Audio website for your card

Ok what Im gonna do is get some montior hedphones and a mixer and spend the rest on spearks for general use....good speakrs (2.1) for about 200/250? \m/

heh. okie. i think u might be better off like that la. IMHO. headhpones i suppose u can't go wrong with either an AKG k270, or Sony 7506. there's also Beyer and others...go try and find the one that u liek best la.
anyways, for abt $200-$250, a 2.1 setup will be either the Klipsch GMXA2.1 or the Altec Lansing MX5021. enjoy!

The behringer...its only 120..and i have heard good things about it and the dealer assured me that it will work for a good long time. where to buy the Altec Lansig speakers? Or what is a very good speaker sop - or should I just go back to sweeeeee leee?

who's the dealer?
behringer items are a 'luck' thing mostly. if u r lucky, it works well. if not, then yeah...
altec lansing - can buy at sim lim. any shop will have. take ur pick really. that goes for the klipsch too.

Back