Home Studio mini-Overhaul - Need advice! :)

jeremyspk

Hey Softies!
I'm gonna do a mini-overhaul with a new buylist (i'm doing internship now, got extra cash for new equipment) and could use some advice/recommendations on what to keep/sell, what good to buy, and what don't-even-bother to think about. Really appreciate all the semi-pro/pro knowledge I can get here!

My room (the new HDB non-master bedroom kind of size, small)
Except for floating cupboards, and thin curtains, it's practically untreated.

What I do:
Acoustic guitar recording, MIDI piano, vocals.
I use MIDI and LOOPS to do the drums/strings/bass.

Current gear list:
- Mac with Logic Studio (i do everything with it)
- Samson c01u condenser diaphragm
- Korg 61p
- Taylor 410ce LTD ed. a.guitar
- Ibanez AEG10VS a.guitar
- Boom mic stand
- Pop filter (large)
- AudioTechnica ATM-40fs (I use it for software monitoring and mixing)
- (Crappy) Sonic Gear EVO7 speakers (everything sounds really thin)

I'm thinking of getting:
- KRK Rokit RP5
- An Audio Interface (any recommendations?)
I do multi-tracking, but I would like to do stereo mic-ing, so at least 2 XLR simultaneously.
- SM57 X 2 (should i get SM57 + another pencil mic instead?)
- SM58 dynamic
- A diaphragm condenser (coz my samson's a usb, don't think can record tog.)
- 1 more mic stand + other misc cables and stuffs.
- Some soundproof padding or something, really have little idea. :/

Some questions:
1) KRK Rokit RP5 can buy? Or I'm better off mixing on my ATM-40fs?
ATM-40fs is really flat + it's a headphone, sometimes I fear i would dmg my ears.

2) Mic pre-amp, necessary? Any pre-amp in-built on audio interfaces?

3) Soundproofing. Is it expensive? Is it worth the $ and effort in terms of the improvement of sound u get (with respect to my room)?

Thanks in advance!

i would recommend presonus for an audio interface.the xmax preamps on some of the presonus models are pretty good.beats m-audio preamp by a mile IMO.

If you only wanna get 2xlr inputs only.then this is the only model http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=4 but i think this isn't the one with xmax preamp.

then again,i'm not too sure the difference in quality between the presonus w/o xmas vs the presonus with xmax

theres a thread here that might help..http://soft.com.sg/forum/how-sound/38326-diy-recording-faq.html

hope this helps

cheers!=)

Monitors : room treatment will kick in when you start to use monitor speakers. you got a car or your parents? one of the method I use is run a final mix confirmation on car speakers, cos if it sounds good usually you're close. but then again depends what car speakers you on... listen to it flat. no bass or treble or SSO whatevers enhancement.

Audio interface : how much of "Multitracking" would you wanna do? record drums? because if you're programming drums you're not going to need an 8 input audio interface nor cables and drummics. then yes all you need is stereo (2 input). ppl use Presonus Firebox/Audiobox (USB) , Zoom H4n (I heard the preamps on this is great + comes with onboard mics) , you don't need midi because you're on a korg 61p right? so if you bought the zoom h4n it comes with onboard stereo pencil condenser mics

another large diaphragm condenser mic to consider is the AT2020, but understand once you get this, you pretty much ditch your samson heheh

to answer your qns :
1) KRK Rokit RP5 can buy? Or I'm better off mixing on my ATM-40fs?
ATM-40fs is really flat + it's a headphone, sometimes I fear i would dmg my ears.

can buy! but monitor speakers only properly utilized in a treated room. means more $$$. if you mix on your AT-40fs, and fear ear damage, monitor at low levels, set a limit on ear fatigue as well.

2) Mic pre-amp, necessary? Any pre-amp in-built on audio interfaces?

most preamps come built in already.

3) Soundproofing. Is it expensive? Is it worth the $ and effort in terms of the improvement of sound u get (with respect to my room)?

sound treatment or sound proofing? treatment = prevent sound bouncing from walls IN a room. proofing = prevent noise from outside coming in, and inside noise going out.

yes it's costly. there's make-do methods to make up via isolation (turning off aircon etc, whoever's blasting the tv in the living room pls turn it down) , record at night. close miking away from your walls (bounce)
for vocals there's an alternative method, if you're using a "open door" cabinet for your clothes, open the cabinet, hang clothes ON the doors, and spread the hanged clothes evenly and there you go, "Half of a ghetto vocal booth" . make sure you use a towel to cover your clothes otherwise it's pretty gross to sing/spray saliva on your washed laundry.

Wow, thanks blueprintstudios, kimmi, and James.
Really helpful :)

My budget is around 1.6k-2k.
Okay current gear-acq list:
SM57 + another pencil condenser (pls rec)
SM58 dyn
AT2020 ldc <<== should i buy a shockmount too? Does it help?
Presonus AudioBox(or maybe Firebox) firewire got significant improvements?
KRK Rokit RP5 (there's this G2 version, better? hmm)

I'm thinking of Jaybon's padding material (someone on soft recommended it)
http://www.myspace.com/jaybonmusic
But I need to learn more about before putting them up. I'm still reading up.

And yeah, misc stuffs like cables and stands.
And some $$ to reserve for Logic Studio 9. Express is not enough for me.

Should I get 2 X SM57 or 1 SM57 and another pencil condenser?

DO I need to stack/lift up my monitors if they are placed beside the LCD mon and my head is the same height as the LCD?

The KRK rokit rp5 is to placed 10cm in front of a wall, i need to pad the back? (although I read that reflections is minimal at back)

Last edited:
pencil condenser : if budget - Behringer C2. haha
if not tight budget, erm . Rode NT5?

Shockmount for at2020 - not exactly a necessity unless you're on a fake/unstable floor.

Audiobox came after Firebox. improvements wise, I got people complaining about how crap the preamp of the firebox is. but quality aside, achieves the purpose i guess?

rokit rp5 - no experience with it. sorry.

padding material - at your own risk, although people are starting to have good results with Vicoustics.

>Should I get 2 X SM57 or 1 SM57 and another pencil condenser?
depends what you're recording really. the application.

> DO I need to stack/lift up my monitors if they are placed beside the LCD mon and my head is the same height as the LCD?
monitors should be the same height as your ears.

>The KRK rokit rp5 is to placed 10cm in front of a wall, i need to pad the back? (although I read that reflections is minimal at back)
try without first. if it adds unwanted resonances then come and buy

Just like above posts, i'd like to give my suggestions too... somehow, the fingers are feeling the itch to type a bit.

Your gears aren't that bad. But if you feel the itch to 'burn' some papers, why not.

If I were you, based on the gears you've listed, I'd go for better condenser mic, a monitor speaker and do simple room treatment since I'll be getting a good monitor speaker.

That's all. :)

Hi guys,

thanks for the input.
Here's what I've got:

1. KRK Rokit Rp5

2. Apogee Duet

3. Rode NT1A

and going to buy some foam from jaybonmusic (not sure how effective they will be, but gonna try. 3 bucks a piece, why not?)

Hey Jeremy, remember to post some pix when you get them all in place.

Back