Guitar Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

almondx

Ok. So I decided it was time to overhaul my PRS electronics. Brought it to GC after "rave reviews on soft." Those who raved about GCPLEASE EAT YOUR WORDS.

So went from a 5 way rotary with PRS standard 500k volume and tone knobs to a switchcraft 3 way switch, CTS 500K volume pot and CTS 500K push pull tone pot.

Before I brought my guitar in, I only wanted for a cts new push pull tone and switchcraft 3 way toggle. Kelvin told me that it costs $80. Fine. A little pricey, but it will do.

Next day I brought my guitar in, I wanted a new cts volume pot rewired as well. The price jumped from $80 to $150. WOW! Can you believe it? Extra $70 for rewiring a single volume pot + the pot itself.

I argued about this to him for awhile. Ok. Final price was $100. Sounds fine to me though still pricey. Decided to proceed. BBBBBBBBBIGGGGGGG MISTAKE.

What I got was - an allparts 3 way toggle (not the switchcraft), a crap CTS volume pot which cuts off the guitar's sound at volume 1.5 when typical pots cut off at volume 0-0.5.

So that means, I paid money for a lousy pot and a fake switch. --> I've been scammed, at least the switch.

Right. Went on to sweelee to buy a dimarzio pot for 12 bucks. Brought my guitar down and told him about the problem with the volume pot. Then Kelvin started grumbling + black face "YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON WITH SUCH A PROBLEM. I DO SO MANY TIMES FOR OTHER PEOPLE ALL NO PROBLEM. I HAVE 20+ YEARS OF EXPERIENCE I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING. YOU ARE THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM. IF I CHANGE THE POT AND THE PROBLEM STILL REMAINS YOU BETTER PAY."

So I shouted back at him. "YOU NOT HAPPY THEN FINE DON'T DO LAH."

To which he started shouting back at me "YOU BETTER NOT LET ME LOSE MY TEMPER HERE. I RUSH THE WORK AND GET PAID AT SUCH LOW PRICE I STILL DO FOR YOU. YOU BETTER WATCH WHAT YOU SAY HERE. YOUR GUITAR SO WHAT $5K? I HAVE SO MANY $20K GUITAR IN MY SHOP. YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE VOLUME POT NO PROBLEM I GIVE YOU GIBSON HISTORIC BLACK BEAUTY TO TRY."

To which I replied in a calmer tone "After you did your work I actually had burnt marks in the finish from small flakes of solder flying out. I actually buffed them out. (I know exactly what happens when hot solder lands on the finish leaving an imprint so I know what I'm talking about).

Then he shouted back at me "YOU DON'T ANYHOW SAY OK. I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING. YOU DON'T BELIEVE I SHOW YOU HOW IT LOOKS LIKE IF SOLDER LANDS ON YOUR GUITAR." To which he actually moved his soldering iron towards the finish of my guitar as though he wanted to burn it.

No choice, I quickly told him "YOU WANT TO TRY YOU TRY ON YOUR OWN GUITAR. DON'T TRY ON MINE". Then I told him to relax and cool down a little. Let him yell at me a bit more cause my guitar was at stake. Finally he got his Gibson from the glass case outside for me and asked me to go test. Which I did. What do you know? THE VOLUME POTS WORKED PERFECTLY FINE, UNLIKE MINE!!!

So he unsoldered everything, and soldered my dimarzio pot in. And it worked FINE!! WOW! IS THAT A MIRACLE?

After that he took my PRS to try, and while it was highly evident that I have sound from the amp even when my volume was down to 0.5, he told me "I HEAR NO DIFFERENCE. FORGET IT LAH. I DON'T CHARGE YOU FOR THE SOLDERING."

WTF? He still had the guts to say that? Isn't that admitting that he actually heard the difference but didn't want to admit it?

Right. Same day, brought my guitar to standard value to try out the Sound Drive amp. Well well well, what do you know? NO SOUND!!!! The nice guys at standard value then proceeded to check my wiring for free. Found out that the grounding wire was in contact with the metal legs of the capacitor causing the circuit to short out. A bit of insulating tape around the grounding wire and it was fine. All done for free! Now how many guitar shops would actually charge you a diagnostic fee? And I didn't even request the standard value guys to help me go over the wiring, they suggested it themselves.

As it turned out, Kelvin had also made a mistake by using a 0.22 cap (meant for singlecoils) instead of a 0.43 cap (meant for humbuckers). So I paid an extra $13 for it to be rewired to the proper specs for the caps.

This makes a total of an extra $25 due to the mistakes Kelvin made. I am at the losing end aren't I?

Today. My 3 way toggle spoilt. Why? Because the toggle was so lose and wobbly that if I just jiggled it in the middle position POPS will be heard as the circuit connects from the lower output neck humbucker to the higher output bridge humbucker. Attempted to bend the metal tabs to tighten the toggle then I lost my entire signal.

On a hunch, I told shredcow about this. WOOHOO we made a surprising discovery that my toggle is not switchcraft.

Here's the punchline. I removed the knurled nut from the 3 way toggle and WOOHOO! OCTAGON SHAPED HOLE!!!

Here are the pics:

IMG_0560.jpg

Nice hole?

It's a good thing the 3 way toggle nut barely covers the hole. Ok it doesn't.

IMG_0561.jpg

Yes this is a switchcraft.. NOT!

Ah! Sorry, my mistake. Change KC TO Kelvin. I got the initials mixed up. BIG apologies to KC.

Last edited:
sorry to hear that bro..
when did u bring th eguitar for the wiring? but from what i know kc is no longer with gc for a while now already, no offence, but u sure that was kc?

from what i know, kc work is pretty good...

Your post is highly misleading and i must say your are spoiling the reputation of one of the best repair man around.

KC was no longer with Guitar Connection as of October 06. Unless you are telling me you are reporting an incident that happen over a year ago. And as you stated in ur "story". The repair man said he has so many $20k guitars in his shop. Key word " HIS SHOP" which is Kelvin's shop. The owner of guitar connection.

KC works for maestro and fixes guitars for alot of pros out here. I hardly think he would risk his reputation fixing your guitar in such a screwed up manner when he does work for the guys that play at Harry's and Jazz at Southbridge.

You are right that KC has a very good reputation and we all recommend him in the forum. Simply stated, its your own fault you did not research where the man works at. Its like telling yourself your gonna hunt for rabbits in the hole cept that you decided to check out the bear's lair, since it looks like a hole anyway.

Get your facts right and make sure you do before you post your defaming story all around. Hot headed or heat of the moment, no excuse for ruining what might be an innocent man's rice bowl.

You owe KC a big apology.

Last edited:
Almond I dont think thats KC lah. You could have mistaken "K"elvin, owner of GC, with KC. From the conversation you have mentioned, and from the way the person speaks to you, its highly Kelvin the person you are referring to. $20,000 dollars guitar?? As far as I am concern, a guitar worth nothin if there's no taker.

Btw, you know whats wrong with guitar players here? We sometimes suffered ill treatment from dealers and all we can do is only to rant in the forum (including myself) and end up being helpless. Dude, I felt sorry for you. Go to CASE. Give him a BIG one.

well guys..for a student..5k is worth alot!

i was there when he FIRST send the thing for servicing..

but not when the argument happened *damn! i missed a show*

well..let this be a lesson learnt..

quite frankly, when almondx told me over msn that he was charged $100 for that kinda job..i seriously thought that it was daylight robbery.:mrgreen:

Hey man u should edit your first post and change the title and the name of the person there.
Not right to keep it cos its misleading. Also dont wanna blame the wrong people right?

I think you are referring to kelvin, and you aint the first one. Ive got a pretty miffing experience at his shop too.

Hey Almondx bro,

I think you made a mistake about KC. He works at maestro and has been for at least a few months if not more.

And I'm not sure you got the value's of the caps right. 0.022 is supposed to be for humbuckers and 0.047 for single coils. Humbuckers are darker so they use a small cap which means they become less dark relatively when turned down. Vice versa for single coils.

Having said that, if you are referring to others at GC, I have no problems believing you at all. I think alot of what they sell is overpriced. And I've heard they way they try to convince kids to do this and do that. They won't bat an eyelid to overcharge you if you don't know you stuff. In that sense I rather go to davis because his prices are fixed, not always cheap, but you know he's not trying to rip you off (service is another thing though).

I'm not surprised they used fake stuff for you. Being that electronics is not something everyone knows about, they could easily do the wrong thing for you. Some just spray and clean the pot and say they've changed it.

My advice, get a soldering iron set for about $30=40 bucks and just do it yourself. Practice on your used pots first before doing it to your guitar. You should get it down pretty quickly. Soldering is chicken feed compared to a refret or a paint job.

Need specific help? PM me.

Ok, lets cut the flak on the threadstarter.

He may have gotten the person wrong, and if so, a retraction would be nice.

However, he is right to feel royally screwed, and so would we if we were in his shoes.

Almondx, you have my sympathy ... its a costly lesson on picking a serviceperson very selectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back