Good guitar stores in Manila

vernplum

Hi

Off to Manila today for 3 days. Any Pinoy rockers out there know where the best places to check out are please? (I went once to a tiny crappy store behind Landmark - not going again. :))

Cheers

not much good guitar stores in manila (compared to guitar stores here in sg)... guitars are more expensive there due to the lack of local distributors. for ex, an epi lp std will cost you almost 1k sgd there because they are just imports

we have a local brand named RJ guitars which are quite cheap and probably has the same or at least near the quality of samick, sx and other sub-brands

yeah i would not suggest buying from the Manila because its expensive.

I would rather suggest go for the music clubs there.

The 'IN' music now is bossa nova...i think bossa nova is not common here in Singapore so you should not miss the opportunity when you are in Manila. There are also a lot of jazz bars there that you may want your ears to be immersed to.

for the list of best bars... search at the Philippines music forum @ www.philmusic.com

Well, thanks guys. I was wondering whether I could cruise around and find some unusual/rare things, perhaps only available here. For example, in Cebu there is a thriving acoustic/classical guitar building scene - I checked some of the factories out a couple of years back. :)

Bossa Nova.. hmm... I can't dance (that's why i'm a musician) so maybe I'll just go along, drink San Mig and watch the chicks shaking their booty. :)

yeah cebu is very much popular with acoustic guitars and also their "kapis" or seashell trimmed guitars (usually bought by collectors)

yeah bossa nova is the "in" thing in manila. its not really pure bossa nova, mostly they re-do pop songs to bossa style. i think some now call it "Bossa Manila"

106732782_a10bc92959.jpg

pic above is sitti navarro. one of the hottest bossa artists there right now

also check out the indie scene which is thriving with good acts. might want to grab some cds as well as they are cheaper there. usual price is 400+ pesos or about 11-12sgd. for local artists, its about 7-10sgd.

local indie bands worth noting are typecast, pedicab, pupil, urbandub and many others. you can try their cd's they are worth checking out

I was wondering whether I could cruise around and find some unusual/rare things, perhaps only available here.

get your self a "barrel man" statue :lol:

my officemate got a kick out of it when i gave her one

yeah i was about to say updharmadown also

too many good bands to mention really. the mainstream bands are just about 10-20% of the whole music scene.

too bad i missed fete de la musique last summer. that's the event with hundreds of bands playing in different stages with different styles

vernplum said:
Hi

Off to Manila today for 3 days. Any Pinoy rockers out there know where the best places to check out are please? (I went once to a tiny crappy store behind Landmark - not going again. :))

Cheers

Man check out www.yupangco.com its in Makati.

G. A. Yupangco & Co., Inc.
Yupangco Building
339 Gil J. Puyat Avenue, Makati City 1200
Philippines

Usually they have sale in December you might get some good deals.

Audiophile is also a good
http://www.audiophilecomponents.com/

email them for their exact location @ mcs@audiophilecomponents.com

Back