Getting to know my fender more... need help

jeremyspk

Hi guitarists (fender owners or not),
I've been slacking for a while, playing other stuffs instead of my fender strat. Recently, I realised the need to learn more techniques and begin to play my strat more, which led to a painful realisation:
1) My pick-ups' got red-brown oxidation residues... man... are they becoming rusty? MY GOODNESS :(
And, my bridge, the screws which u adjust intonation, the screws on the pickguard, and the one on the input jack, are getting rusty or rusty already! HELLLPPP!!!

2) On standard tuning EADGBe, the string G, got more unnecessary gain than others, how do I adjust it? It's so bad that when my finger releases from the string G, the after-effect ringing (not a pull-off) was loud enough to make me feel "unclean" (if u know what i mean). Well, i was learning how to sweep cleanly, and didn't want that abnormal string G to tell me wrongly that I'm playing it wrong, when it was fine. Wait hold on, is that fine? :/

3) This sounds damn stupid, and i'm probably right, for not knowing my guitar. Honestly, till now, i've no idea what my Fender guitar build is...
I know it's holding USA texas pick up...and it's erm... 3 screw on the shiny plate written Fender Japan... saw the serial no. some where...but no model no. :/ This fender's headstock is bigger than usual... Any idea how to know my model? :confused:

Need your assistance... :)

1) My pick-ups' got red-brown oxidation residues... man... are they becoming rusty? MY GOODNESS :(
And, my bridge, the screws which u adjust intonation, the screws on the pickguard, and the one on the input jack, are getting rusty or rusty already! HELLLPPP!!!

Rusty screws and pick up bobbins are normal. Actually, the more they rust, the cooler it'll look. Has the finish aged yet? If you don't like the screws, its ok, and they're easily changable.

2) On standard tuning EADGBe, the string G, got more unnecessary gain than others, how do I adjust it? It's so bad that when my finger releases from the string G, the after-effect ringing (not a pull-off) was loud enough to make me feel "unclean" (if u know what i mean). Well, i was learning how to sweep cleanly, and didn't want that abnormal string G to tell me wrongly that I'm playing it wrong, when it was fine. Wait hold on, is that fine? :/

The G string tends to be the LOUDEST string of the 6. Something to do with the inherent harmonics of that length, note, and the 25.5" scale of the guitar. You'll find it's not that prominent on a Les Paul of a shorter scale. It's normal. Especially on vintage spec pickups where the bobbin staggers are more raised on the D and G strings. Perhaps your pickups aren't balanced? Have you adjusted them before? To totally resolve this, you need staggers where the G string is more subdued. Kinman does this. But with some pickup balancing, and picking control, it's not 100% necessary.

3) This sounds damn stupid, and i'm probably right, for not knowing my guitar. Honestly, till now, i've no idea what my Fender guitar build is...
I know it's holding USA texas pick up...and it's erm... 3 screw on the shiny plate written Fender Japan... saw the serial no. some where...but no model no. :/ This fender's headstock is bigger than usual... Any idea how to know my model? :confused:

Without pics, it's really hard to tell. But I'd say yours is probably a 70s spec Strat. The 3 bolt plate as well as the big headstock are dead giveaways... Sounds like an ST72...

Hope this helps...

Rusty screws and pick up bobbins are normal. Actually, the more they rust, the cooler it'll look. Has the finish aged yet? If you don't like the screws, its ok, and they're easily changable.

Actually I'm fine with brown screws, as long as the disintegrated grain of the screw won't affect the removal of that component (say the pick-guard portion).
As for the finish, can't see any change (except a few scratches). Probably due to the fact that I've been applying some Guitar polish formula... Should I stop and let it age? :D

The G string tends to be the LOUDEST string of the 6. Something to do with the inherent harmonics of that length, note, and the 25.5" scale of the guitar. You'll find it's not that prominent on a Les Paul of a shorter scale. It's normal. Especially on vintage spec pickups where the bobbin staggers are more raised on the D and G strings. Perhaps your pickups aren't balanced? Have you adjusted them before? To totally resolve this, you need staggers where the G string is more subdued. Kinman does this. But with some pickup balancing, and picking control, it's not 100% necessary.

suspected bout the inherent harmonics (not too sure though) and as you said, the magnets on G, it looked like it's the highest among the six.
Is there anyway to only adjust that particular stagger?

Without pics, it's really hard to tell. But I'd say yours is probably a 70s spec Strat. The 3 bolt plate as well as the big headstock are dead giveaways... Sounds like an ST72...

I see i see. I love my fender, it sounds good! :D I'll try to take a pic of it soon.

Thanks man, great help! :)

Should I stop and let it age? :D

That's up to you man... Some like it pristine, some like it aged...

suspected bout the inherent harmonics (not too sure though) and as you said, the magnets on G, it looked like it's the highest among the six.

Nope... Not unless you get those adjustable pole pickups, which I think are normally only on HBs and P90s.

Should I stop and let it age? :D

That's up to you man... Some like it pristine, some like it aged...

Nope... Not unless you get those adjustable pole pickups, which I think are normally only on HBs and P90s.

ah...
:/
okay.. thanks. :)

Back