Fret buzz problems.. help!

gibbytones

Ok.. I use a lespaul with 9s all the time.

I had a 9.5 pack and was restringing my guitar earlier today. Just as I put in and got the lowE into tension, there was a nasty ugly filthy fret buzz. There was literally no 'E' coming from anything lower than the 9th fret. Ive tried adjusting my action height still maintaining a preferred height but its seems impossible to get rid of the fret buzz.

One might say that its cause I'm using 9.5s instead of 9s. But what boggles me that can a .5 change cause that much of a difference in action from the string to the frets.

so guys.. helping hand here please..

thanks!!

Yes changing gauges can effect everything. Action, neck, intonation, height of the pickup to the strings and the tone, get it re setup and stick to the same gauges everytime u restring.
It get's even worst when u are using a floating type of bridge like the Floyd Rose.

if you're using a 0.095 set then the low E is a 44..so there's a bigger difference then you think..definitely need a setup..

gibbytones, what is your current setup like?

For me, I enjoy very low action with an arrow straight neck - there's very low tolerances. So if I were to lean back, like when sitting down, there will be fretbuzz. Pretty rad huh.

my actions settings are already quite low.. Ive asked around and people have said that it can make a great difference changing the gauges even abit.

Im gonna put the 9s I always use in it and see if I still have the buzz..

haha sorry for hijacking the thread. my 2nd string has fret buzz at the 6-7th fret region. and it only happens for that particular string for that particular frets. any ideas? its on my warlock and im using curt mangan 9s-46. and i tried setting my action a lot higher than it was already but the fret buzz still occurs. any help?

thanks haha.

mine oso hav fret buzz, as long as u cnt hear it on de amp, its ok. if u find de buzz irritatin, bring it to a tech

try these first if you're adventurous

1. Google on "neck relief truss rod adjustment" and I'm sure you'll have some in depth reading material on how to look at your neck relief.
2. Increase the height of your tune-o-matics a little bit and see if the fret buzz is removed.
3. What kind of volume are you playing at? No trick question here. Are the fret buzz AMPLIFIED and not just acoustically present?

kthxbai

optisailor2002: sound like you need a fret leveling bro.

oh wait i meant something worse than a fret buzz. the 6th and 7th fret both play at the 7th fret. lol. that means i have to rpess down at the 6th fret real hard before the 6th fret plays.

ok i have fixed my problem..

Even when i changed back to my 9s I still had a bit of a buzz on the 10th fret. But every other frets were ringing fine as it always did. Even when I adjusted my action and intonation again the buzz at the 10th fret still existed. mind you, the buzz was only on the 10th fret on the LowE.

What i did was i sanded down the fret just a bit. until the buzz was no more. I did it with the strings on so i was sanding and checking sanding and checking. and finally, it all sounded perfect again.

looks like its time to refret sooon..

ok i have fixed my problem..

Even when i changed back to my 9s I still had a bit of a buzz on the 10th fret. But every other frets were ringing fine as it always did. Even when I adjusted my action and intonation again the buzz at the 10th fret still existed. mind you, the buzz was only on the 10th fret on the LowE.

What i did was i sanded down the fret just a bit. until the buzz was no more. I did it with the strings on so i was sanding and checking sanding and checking. and finally, it all sounded perfect again.

looks like its time to refret sooon..

haha perhaps i should do that to my fret too =/

at your own risk bro.. haha. i wouldnt recommend it but hey, it works. make sure you use a very mild sandpaper and sand away slowly..

on the other hand.. doing it lightly on all your frets also makes your frets look alive again.

at your own risk bro.. haha. i wouldnt recommend it but hey, it works. make sure you use a very mild sandpaper and sand away slowly..

on the other hand.. doing it lightly on all your frets also makes your frets look alive again.

oh was wondering what grade sandpaper do you use to sandpaper your frets? (if i got that term right and if you get what i mean lol)

Adjust ur neck warping 1st, action and intonation, if it's still very bad than before doing any sanding job, take a plastic mallet or hammer, knock the high fret so that it seats properly inside. If it still persist than the best is to use a fret file, it's a proper tool for fret leveling.

Back