For Local Bands Who Complain!

It may seem from a very indie standpoint, but most of the bands you come to love - save from an exceptional few - come from indie backgrounds. Plenty of bands you hear on the radio now started the very same way. To me, any band worth its cred starts out honestly and with indie persistence. it is the basis of existence for most bands that go on to outlast others. It's the hard groundwork that keeps you driven.
Heck, even Sean Kingston was indie on MySpace - that's how he got started. How about The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Colbie, Panic At The Disco, even Fall Out Boy, Marie Digby. Tons. I'm sure you guys can name even most of them than I could.

An interesting fact is the indie market has eaten into a large chunk of the share of the music industry. The combined sales of the indie market is larger than the individual pie share of the four major labels, namely, Universal Music, EMI Music, Warner Music, and Sony BMG. Granted, on an individual company basis, indie companies don't sell as much. But it is a FACT that major labels scout indie labels for talents and buy over shares from the indies or the companies themselves under a corporate umbrella. So I don't see anything wrong with it being a very indie-focused effort. It is the starting point of possibly bigger things to come for you if you try hard enough.

This post is merely a means to perhaps provide a starting point for musicians to get their music out there. There is perfectly nothing wrong with being heard and staying within Singapore. But let's be honest here --> most musicians are hungry for a greater number of people listening to their songs outside of this geographically limited space we call home.

But the truth of the matter is, most local musicians either
1) do not believe they are 'good enough' to deserve being heard by others
2) don't know how to go about doing it.

This is not the case of ALL musicians of course. But it does apply to the majority, at least from the large number of local bands I have interviewed during my work for LIME magazine.

This is a severe underrating of our own talents, because if we don't even believe enough in ourselves, you can forget about others believing in us.

And in order to earn that respect and that recognition outside of Singapore, that extra mile needs to be traveled the good old fashioned way. It ALSO increases your chances of getting picked up by a label, getting on movie soundtracks, gaining fans worldwide, making a decent living out of your music, and thus, providing you with the avenue to continue doing what you love.

___

The extent of your success will be determined by three things; the quality of your work, the hard and well-thought out effort you put behind promoting and marketing your music, and sheer luck.

Even with the best marketing team behind you, if your product is crap, no one will bite (e.g. Paris Hilton's album - which i actually like!) . But at the same time, even if you have the greatest album in the world and are playing in the greatest band in the world, without the proper marketing and promotion placed firmly behind you, your success will never reach its fullest potential. They must come hand in hand. And of course, a combination of both will increase your chances of luck -- that chance of getting that huge break.

And I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have that minor chance of success rather than to sit back and do nothing while listening too much to skeptics and cynics.

QUOTE:
"Anyway, are you not worried that the internet is also a large pirate bay, which does not only plunder your cash for album sale, but your ideas, creativity and many other things?"

Well, in the music industry, it is very important to get yourself copyrighted before you put anything out there to prevent piracy.
There is always always a chance that someone will plunder your ideas and ideas and creativity
But think of it this way;
Would you rather there be thousands of people listening to your music and appreciating it, or would you rather sit in your room in fear of your 'creativity being stolen'?
Sure, nobody would steal your ideas if you're never heard. But then, what's the point? You HAVE to put yourself out there, subject yourself to the risk of that happening in order to get any chance of possible returns.

So would you rather live in worry and wonder what could have been?
Or live out your dreams to the best of your ability?

BUT of course, taking the right path to ensure your copyright is covered and your legal protection is crucial in protecting your artistic credibility and your hard work.

_______

The fact is; people are natural skeptics. Only if you go on to prove them wrong do they start to take you seriously. But wouldn't it be great if there was a conceited unified effort from our scene? in order to succeed, YOU, as an artist, have to have a fire burning within you, a need to prove your skeptics wrong, a fighting desire to succeed and overcome failure. That is what separates mediocrity & obscurity from recognition and being content with your music career.
If I had listened to James when he told me "You really don't have a clue" then well, I'd be an armchair critic (Kudos to Visa! :) love you homie!)

Levan

Last edited:
Also for interest for musicians looking for and to understand legal protection for musicians in Singapore:

http://www.ipos.gov.sg/leftNav/cop/About+Copyright.htm
Information on copyright of works and protecting yourselves from overseas stealing

and

http://www.compass.org.sg
"The Composers and Authors Society of Singapore (COMPASS) is an organisation created to protect and promote the copyright interests of composers, authors and publishers of musical works and their related lyrics. "

_______

I will also soon post links to companies that actively source for potential avenues of exposure for your music, REGARDLESS of the country you originate from. These are intentional corporations that have good reputations and have helped musicians from all over the work make a living for themselves.

Cheers! I'm going for dinner!

Levan
ASTRONINJA www.myspace.com/astroninary

Last edited:
Also try

Not the greatest of websites to let your music be heard by listeners BUT the free widgets they provide are killer! Excellent for cutting and pasting onto your MySpace, Facebook, blogs, and also allows fans to help you promote your music through theirs!

More links! Caring and sharing time!!!

Affinity Music -
Hosting unsigned singers, songwriters, and bands.

BandLink.Net -
Thousands of searchable links to band pages; small categorized directory of music radio, record labels, and music businesses.

Bandname.com -
Worldwide band name registry: also a band search engine, issue press releases, and a music industry database.

Bandpromo.com -
Musical index where you can find: info and contacts of Artists/Bands (albums, news, concerts...), websites directory related with music.

BandRadio.com -
A musician's resource site for all that is the music business. Includes a searchable directory.

MANY MORE TO COME!
______

Levan
Singapore's #1 ranked MySpace Music Profile
www.myspace.com/astroninary -- Add us!

ASTRONINJAADVERT.jpg

Last edited:
More links!

http://www.leadershipnow.com/leadershop/0990-2dwnld.html

Download this free PDF!
UNLEASHING THE IDEAVIRUS
It's a book written about the concept of viral marketing (not the annoying type of viral marketing) and how innovative and creative ideas can spread throughout the Internet. This book doesn't directly deal with music par se, but if you really take the time to read it, you can easily apply it to your music promotion strategies both on and offline.

Don't sit by and wait for something to happen for your music career. Go out and do something about it - create opportunities, don't wait on them.

Levan
ASTRONINJA
www.myspace.com/astroninary

Thank you :)
Sadly few people here seem very keen on or believing of the theories, hence the lack of response, even though foreign bands practice it rather often!
Guess we're not at that stage of commitment yet. I'm not sure!

Haha I meant the post in general, not the ideavirus thing :)

I didn't study that in poly nope! I just read up about how some successful bands have managed to get their careers off the ground using the Internet and whatever I found out, I just kept reading on about it until I grasped as much as I possibly could about online promotions of music. There are hundreds of other options out there too! And there are many signed and unsigned musicians out there who make a decent living when they put in the hard work. And believe me, with enough effort and marketing, it is very possible to score deals and get yourself heard. Much, much, much much more than a one off gig at Baybeats or Lime Sonic Bang and more coverage than ANY media in Singapore can provide in terms of sheer size of the demographic audience.

I've interviewed quite a number of local bands and when I asked them why didn't they try this avenue of promoting their music instead, most of them just went 'no time', 'not sure if it'll work' or worse, 'we scared nobody want to hear our music'. That's fine for casual musicians I think but for musicians who claim to be serious but don't want to put in the maximum possible number of behind-the-scenes work hours (for fear of putting themselves out on a limb perhaps? Our society doesn't exactly promote opportunities for musicians anyway), I don't understand it. And because I don't understand it, I won't make any assumptions :)

But I can honestly say, putting a decent month's work into promoting your band online will generate ten times more number of fans you'll get than one month's media coverage in Singapore. It's the truth.

But to each their own I say! :)

Levan
ASTRONINJA

Last edited:
Yea man.. Thanx for the info man but we signed up for that as well already (start of this year actually) we are just waiting for the album to be ready and we'll go full scale on everything that we can get our hands on to (not in a gay way) ;)..

My good friend, Levan, has provided very useful resources and its all about how active you are in making full use of these resources. its a lot of time and effort but think about it i rather do it and try to promote my bands music till almost everyone knows us than just sit and wait for someone from some label to drop by and ask for my band, life is too short for wait. Its like waiting for it to snow in singapore. (which might happen come 2012, the end of the world... time : 11:11pm ) :twisted:

But honestly, Dont be afraid of going out there and show the world what you got because for all you know your material might just be better than some of those top bands out there to catch the ears of the audience. A good way to Promote is using the internet, the greatest tool ever made (for viruses :mrgreen:)

Check out our myspace and add us (www.myspace.com/flawedelement) - join the mailing list- || - album coming out end of the year -

*This is a good thread for bands who are serious about their music career*

Thanks Joe!

Yup this isn't a thread for casual musicians, or cynical musicians or musicians who see more reasons to fail than to succeed. It definitely isn't for musicians with the mentality of 'I Have to wait till I get as good as <insert idol here> first before I start promoting". It's all about active promotion from the get-go and putting in that extra mile for the sake of being heard by others.

And one of the things I discover the most from interviewing local bands is that many of them suffer from low self-esteem issues. "If Singapore cannot accept us, nobody will." That is NOT true. If Jimi Hendrix had thought that way, why, we'd never have heard of Jimi Hendrix.

Another thing is also the fear of investing the time, effort and on some occasions, money necessary to get their music off the ground. Because Singaporeans have been so conditioned to fear failure and social rejection, many just have an in-build compulsion to run away from even trying. And when i say try I don't just mean playing the same shows over and over and re-using conventional means of promotion time and time again without evaluating the effectiveness of it.

In the end, some people might probably reason this out to be nothing but hoopla, that there are more reasons for failure than to succeed, that perhaps we're Asian so it's a little harder for us, that our music industry is small blah blah blah. In the end what separates the ones who succeed and those who don't is their ability to see beyond the limitations of our surroundings and work towards a goal despite or in spite of the conditions.

Here is a little bit of a OneRepublic phoner I had about a week back. Maybe they'll say it best.

Last edited:
My interview with OneRepublic:

Tell us about how MySpace helped with the band’s claim to fame.
RYAN TEDDER: Drew signed us up for MySpace back in 2003 when it was just a burgeoning Internet social networking site with only about seven million people on it. We are far too lazy or inept to figure out any other way of getting ourselves out there other than using the free Internet!
DREW BROWN: It was probably the biggest payoff for us.

Didn’t you guys try more conventional means of promotion like posters and flyers?
RYAN:
We spent a lot of money on flyers and posters. We drove around Los Angeles putting them up before shows but then we’d come back the next day and they’d all be torn down! We were just a band of idiots who thought, “Well, this is what other bands do so we’ll just do it too.” I’m going to say it right now: flyers, posters and all that crap don’t work!

My Interview with Panic At The Disco:

Even before signing to a label years ago, you guys were doing well for yourselves on MySpace with a small but dedicated fanbase. How did you stand out from the rest of the pack back then?
RYAN ROSS: These days the Internet can be a huge help to bands. We were discovered through Livejournal! The problem is that there’re a lot of bands out there who sound the same and basically copy off each other. That’s kind of what missing in rock music today – it isn’t really exciting anymore! For us, we stood out because we weren’t interested in sounding like others. We wanted to create music that hasn’t been heard before and weren’t interested in imitating. Also, we had quite a decent fanbase online through Purevolume as well!
____

I've been working on this MySpace for slightly under two months now using the various links I've provided (plus many many) and channeling everything towards the profile (while the website is still being set up) Note: This is even before the release of any official album. Do check out the comments left behind. Most of the people who visit the site thus far are not Singaporean but in spite of this, we have had a good response and pre-booking of the upcoming album from people around the world willing to listen and pay money for an act halfway across the world.

The purpose of this post isn't simply to highlight my own MySpace though. It's simply bringing to light the fact that these things really do work with a little (ok, a LOT!) of effort and that the Internet does work in bridging entire geographical and musical gaps that existed before and that most Singapore bands have not realized the full potential of this because we are too used to conventional means of advertising and promotion within the scene.

But if we opened our eyes, invested the time and effort to really get our music out there to foreigners so they know a little something more about us other than the fact that we've banned bubblegum, it will inevitably leads towards the growth of our scene both locally and on overseas shores.

Wouldn't it be cool one day for someone from Europe to say "Oh yeah I've heard about the country through its music!" when you say you're from Singapore?

Another interesting point:
Jack Johnson, now a major label artist, had his first independently released album sold on CDBaby.com
He promoted his music through the Internet and sold 20,000 copies of the CD through the site. Most of these sales were made throughout various parts of the world. 20,000 copies, I would say, is significantly more than what most local musicians can claim to have sold. And he did it - using the Internet -.

I know many will claim this to be a wild and bold vision but I truly believe that the scene would benefit greater in the long run from collectively heading in this direction. Even if people like James thinks I 'don't have a clue' :p

Last edited:
Another thing is also the fear of investing the time, effort and on some occasions, money necessary to get their music off the ground. Because Singaporeans have been so conditioned to fear failure and social rejection, many just have an in-build compulsion to run away from even trying.

I like what you'd mentioned Levan. And I'm doing just the opposite bit by bit. I hope it's worth my effort.

Don't underestimate the power and influence of Internet radio!

Check out www.live365.com and consider submitting some of your songs for internet radio airplay. A lot of these independently run stations have a HUGE following around the world with stations garnering a massive 250,000 HOURS of listenership PER MONTH on the site alone. As most of these stations are independently owned, they will greatly consider playing your songs if you take the effort to give them a decent press kit introducing yourselves.

Good luck!

Thanks for the article!
In another part of the entertainment industry, a good friend of mine - Singaporean still living in Singapore and raising his kids in Singapore - just successfuly got his comic book creation Freedom Formula (www.radicalcomics.com) bought by New Regency Fox and it'll be made into a movie produced by Brian Singer (X Men). Which is another good example that being from Singapore is no limit to what we can achieve, if we have a clear vision, work hard and work smart.

Hi - how do you get your music onto Soundbuzz.com? I tried searching the site but there's no info there for bands or labels who want to get sold. Thanks!

Back