Firewire problem

Dale

I got a laptop, an old one without firewire port. and i got a firewire audio interface. is there such thing as firewire adaptor or sth like that for me to connect to my laptop so that i can use the firewire interface?

thx :)

anyway, if old laptop, have pcmcia or expresscard slot? Theres pcmcia/expresscard fw add on. Just google for the pic. Simlim sq , mustafa also got sell.

I think I've seen such adaptors before. However, you lose the benefit of firewire, which is theoretically faster than USB.

i highly recommend you tell us the model / specs of your laptop in case it's better off you buying a new one. cos old pc/laptop may not record stable.

Bluprintstudio: i dont know my laptop spec man. But its acer travelmate 4150. And i just noticed that i have a port that is kinda small and has numbers 1394 on it. I read my interface manual and it says that the firewire cable is IEEE 1394. Can i connect my interface thru that port if i get another type of cable? Like normal firewire on 1 side and a smaller one on the other side...i hope u guys understand what im trying to say here. Hahah

Yes, 1394 is a firewire port. As you pointed out, there are two kinds of firewire ports - one larger and one smaller. You can get a cable larger at one end and smaller at the other.

thx for the help guys.

bluprintstudios, i dont really understand much abt the bus powered thing. but i'll go try out with a normal 6pin to 4pin cable 1st.
thx again for the help :)

what blue bro mean, if using 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable to connect audio interface to computer, theres a possibility that the fw port on computer side, wont have enough power, to power up the audio interface. In this case, use external adaptor to power up audio interface when connecting fw audio interface to computer.

External powder adaptor for powering audio interface, firewire connection for data transfer.

Dale :
This should be more selfexplanatory

Audio interface (like presonus firebox, you didn't tell us what audio interface) > FireWire 6pin to 6pin > computer
(power is being carried through 6pin)

As compared to ...
Audio interface > FireWire 6pin to 4 pin + power adaptor > computer (while power adapter plugs into power socket cos no power through 4pin)

i really appreciate all your help guys. i've got my interface working with my laptop already. btw, im using yamaha n8 digital mixer. it has a power adapter, so i didnt have any problems with the 6pin to 4pin cable. problem solved. thx alot guys :)

Back