EMG pickups. need help

siva

i have read alot of good and also bad things abt emg pickups from various sites

good ones include being very round thick and nice

bad ones include very thin screechy lifelss

im kidna confused hence..

any of u here use emgs in ur guitars or had experience with it ? could u all please gimme ur personal opinions..

if u all have a recording or watsoever.. better still

cos i got an emg81 now . and am planning to get a les paul guitar and slap on 2 emgs .. however, im kinda scared things will not work out.

dual 81s ?

hmmm. i was tinking of getting 81n 85b like zakk wylde as the main reason for my les paul with emgs is him ! haha

or a 60n 81b combi .. which ppl. say is very good.

really confused..

ppl with emgs in their les pauls ! please offer ur much sought after advice

emgs are very clean, articulate and clinically tight, that is prob why many people find them lifeless.

as for the thin and screechy part, it wont happen in your les paul, dont worry :) the 81 might be overly bright in some guitars, where a 85 would be better.

hmm .. so in a les paul .. wat would u all recommend ?

since i have the 81 already .. 81neck 85 bri or 60neck 81bri .. haha

im kinda scared of failure lar . tts y

have u read the emg book available at davis? itz pretty informative..if it doesnt help u, i dunno what will :eek: no lah sometimes u need to go ahead w/ somethin despite ur doubts. same goes with relationships. ur not sure abt the magnitude of the pros n cons, bt in the end u do go ahead dont u :wink:

tml i will be going down to davis .. gonna ask them .haha.

yea.. thx man .

but of course feedback from softies here with emgs in les pauls would be better lar . personal experience.

nice analogy. btw. thx

85 is very bass/mid heavy and not as bright as a 81, EMGs are definately very quiet even when I push the distortion all the way to max, the noise is not that loud.

-Beast

I have 2 guitars with the Emgs 60/81 and 85/81 combinations respectively.

First off, the 60 is alot cleaner and sterile but sounds crystal clear, very balanced between highs and lows.

The 85 is much more bassy, with more mids as well. It's more for the 'jazz' sort of clean tone. There's a reason why Zakk uses it, it gives alot of balls to dirty leads.

As for the 81, i've attached 2 clips played entire with 81's on the bridge. If you do metal exclusively like me. The emgs will serve you well and long before you actually search for any alternatives, well i haven't after a good number of years.

http://download.yousendit.com/3F2E5BD844E91DCC

http://download.yousendit.com/C2C8E0C9214FEB6E

I can understand why ppl say emgs are sterile and lifeless, but well, if it suits your purpose, job's done.

hmm .. i really like zakk's tone.. esp on the gibson 100th anniversary vid with slash

u seen it ??

btw.. zakk uses the 81 for his bri or neck ?

is putting the emgs on a les paul standard similar to what i will get on th zakk wylde model ?? it should be the same ritE?

well. . the tone should be same rite?

nvm .. tml i go davis and ask them lar .

but .. keep the views coming in !

guitar, amp, effect, strings etc all contribute to tone...

EMGs - alright by me, super clean and hum free...good esp for studio work

gemg 60 85 or 81 - makes great combo...add in an EMG afterburner gain boost for more "burn" 8)

Back