Eh why can't hear that guitar?First impressions of bass.

This is an interesting discussion - but actually a very old problem. It is in some senses true that you can't really hear the bass mixed well in tracks today (although it varies very much from band to band and style to style).

However, the invention of the electric bass guitar, specifically the Fender bass and all the developments in bass amps and heads may actually have helped pop and rock music to get MUCH louder, leading to psychedelic rock, classic rock, metal and so on.

Before the electric bass, drummers, keys and bass had to keep quite soft to let the guitars or piano (melody instruments) be heard over crap car and transistor radios - if you think they are bad now, trust me they are a lot worse then. (I started out as a kid wanting to play drums listening to Ringo Starr on an old transistor radio).

When bassists went electric, and their amps got bigger and more powerful, they were able to fill out the music and let the drums, guitars and other instruments get louder and louder, and faster and faster. This in turn gave the "heaviness" to rock, jazz and other forms of modern music. Electric bass, some people think, may have helped lay the foundation of modern popular music - and I guess, is today a victim of its own success with guitars and drums able to get so heavy and so loud?

Classic example is the old Motown bassists, James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt who together with a few other session musicians laid down some of the most incredible music ever written - My Girl, Midnight Train to Georgia, Papa was a Rollin' Stone. Today some of those tracks have been remastered and the original basslines engineered for sound so you can hear the original recordings crystal clear - if you're struggling to make yourself heard in your band; or just want to hear just how amazing and powerful the bass can be, try and lay hold of these tracks and plug in and listen - I guarantee you will be blown away.

There's also a pretty good book on this whole thing and the history of our instrument called "How the Fender Bass Changed the World" check out http://www.amazon.com/How-Fender-Bass-Changed-World/dp/0879306300 by Jim Roberts, former editor of Bass Player mag.

i used to listen to alot of X Japan, l'arc en ciel in primary school (brother's influence)..

you got a really good brother lol.
during my pri sch days, i only listened to stuff like N'SYNC and Avril Lavigne etc.
i only discovered bass at like sec 3. im slow lol

bass is cool but i feel that it should remain as a support rhythmic instrument in music. imo it is not suitable to be a lead instrument like the electric guitar

While it's certainly possible, tried and proven by many a fantastic bassist, I still prefer to be the background supporter; Helping tweak the mood and feel of each section of the song as required. Staying at the low-end will usually get you noticed by those who know how to appreciate it, rather than those who'd only think you play well after an up-front barrage shred-fest of notes. It's not how many notes you played, but what, and where.

...Then again, I have a complex about this, so yeah :???:

Last edited:
Back