Eh why can't hear that guitar?First impressions of bass.

Ris

A long long time ago when I first saw the bassist from No Doubt (MTV last time all day),
I was really trying hard to figure out why no sound comes out from that guy standing at the back with the drummer, cus I was expecting something as sharp as that from the lead guitar. Wasn't paying attention to the basslines though.

With months to come then realise bass is deep toned.

How about you? First impressions of the ever-sexeh bass?

no doubt one cant hear bass guitar very much. still the same today though. esp in pop songs. but in rock songs, sure can hear. u gotta know wad it sounds like to know that its a bass guitar hahaah. :D

Ha ha if you weren't looking you'd definitely hear tony kanal in no doubt. Especially in their tragic kingdom album! And you'd wonder what that low groovey thing was.. :)

Eh i thought old no doubt very bass driven one and that rock songs then the bass is very far back in the mix? Haha! 2 words. Mark Hoppus.

Aiya last time dno bass sound like what, then see the bassist pluckpluck but like no sound come out.

That was when I was 8 or 9

it was some built in speakers in this small JVC tv. cant hear no crap from them. lol

there have been alot of rubbish bassists in popular bands in the past decade or so. not surprising that people don't know

if the bassline doesn't stand out, people won't realise that there's an instrument playing it. hit the clubs. people there HEAR the bass. if a real bass guitar was recorded instead of samples in black clubbing music, the bass guitar's prominence would skyrocket.

remember, a bass guitar is also a guitar. people won't know that it has a specialized purpose

remember, a bass guitar is also a guitar. people won't know that it has a specialized purpose

oh so true.

the very obvious feature that gives away their similarity is their strings, i guess. beginners would wonder why this guitar has 4 (let's say it's a 4-stringed bass) very thick strings.

when i first heard of the bass guitar,
i was amazed lah.

i've no idea it's connected to electric guitar. (as in linke/associated)
i thought it's more related to cello/double bass.
haha.

It depends on the type of music actually.

The bass tends to be buried in rock songs as opposed to pop songs due to distorted guitars. Different bands have varied emphasis on the role of the bass.

No bass = ..and justice for all
Bass Sex = Jamiroquai

Another reason why most people dont notice the bass is because they're listening their music through low quality speakers. A low quality speaker can literally make the bass non-existent even when a bass heavy song is played. And people are wondering where they invested their money. Its in woofers, baby.

Tip: If you want your bass to cut through more you might wanna EQ with bass cut, and mid boost. Careful though, you might wanna keep some of your bass intact incase it sounds to empty and gritty.

Btw Tony Kanal is a great player and if you have listened to his songs you can hear that his tone is varied in different songs.

Don't speak = bassy, more subtle
Its my life = higher in the mix and more middy

I wanted to learn a musical instrument. I considered guitar, but everyone seemed to be learning guitar and I wanted to do something a bit different.
I went to a shop and asked to try a bass guitar, and they plugged me into this crazy 2000watt stack. I pulled the E string for the first time, and the GROUND SHOOK BENEATH ME!!! bwahahaha...

So I learned bass as my first ever instrument. :>

-Annikk

I used to [and still do] listen to pop rock such as the Click Five and Fall out Boy and i can definitely hear their bass [albeit very boring basslines], it may be a low rumble or toneless 'toing' but its still there. =P

Pete Wentz FTW, he inspired me to take up bass as an instrument.

Last edited:
i'm interested to pick up bass. but then my guitar skills still not good -.- have to work on guitar skill first before considering on a bass guitar :/

I was inspired by the bassist from nirvana : D his freaking-fantastic grooves.
It was the only basslines i could catch from all the music last time.
Until i went into Jrock.
You can hear all their bass tones.
Just check out the GazettE

i'm interested to pick up bass. but then my guitar skills still not good -.- have to work on guitar skill first before considering on a bass guitar :/

that's not exactly true whaat. its a misconception IMO. you can learn how to play bass without learning guitar. and i think it's much easier to study theory on bass than guitar (though my own theory is still standing at shit-zilch...).
anyway, if you listen to the radio, you'd hardly hear any bass at all.. you wont even be able to hear Flea on a Peppers' song. thats just the way radio is. i guess that's why you cant hear most pop-song basslines. and that's probably why we all didnt know what the bass was and sounded like when we were kids, before we bought our own records and started listening to REAL music!

i used to listen to alot of X Japan, l'arc en ciel in primary school (brother's influence) and ya red hot chilli peppers as well and usually the bass would be heard pretty easy, fell it love with the low bass sound and it got me playing the bass

that's not exactly true whaat. its a misconception IMO. you can learn how to play bass without learning guitar. and i think it's much easier to study theory on bass than guitar (though my own theory is still standing at shit-zilch...).
anyway, if you listen to the radio, you'd hardly hear any bass at all.. you wont even be able to hear Flea on a Peppers' song. thats just the way radio is. i guess that's why you cant hear most pop-song basslines. and that's probably why we all didnt know what the bass was and sounded like when we were kids, before we bought our own records and started listening to REAL music!

i dont even know wat's bass is when i wasnt exposed to learning guitar last time.

I only dig my ear and only listen Basslines in most of the song ^^ The reason is because i know there's a such thing 'Bass' exist 1st than guitar/ lead guitarist. :mrgreen:! Edit : i mean i tend to pay more attention on Bass :mrgreen:

GnR bassline riffs are great ^^ i meant the 80s 90s albums, old batch! But i never listen to VelvetRevovler/ new GnR at all :shock:.... :mrgreen:

Back