Edder's Kustom Kvlt DIY '69 Terecaster

edder

hahaha...

I've purchased a few guitar bodies from USA Custom Guitars last year and here's the first work in progress.

The before...

2070763665_221786d6e9_o.jpg

The current...

2216920812_800379de54_o.jpg

To dye the wood top I use DYLON fabric dye. Available at artshops and DIY mart.

The color I used is Havana Brown as the base and Golden Glow as the top. http://www.dylon.co.uk/colourcentre/multipurpose/multipurchart.htm

First I dye the top with Havana Brown. Let it dry and then sand off till I can see distinctive portions of the wood figure in brown and the other parts in maple.

For this body, I tried a "burst" finish and dyed the sides with Havana Brown again but the "burst" lines was quite obvious and had a hard time trying to blend it in. I have some ideas to do this better next time. 2 more bodies to go.

Then I dye the top with Golden Glow till I get the shade I want.

Once dried, I did a few quick coats of lacquer. Using RJ London's "Dull lacquer clear" aerosol cos that what I have on hand. Was planning to make this body a matt finish but then its still open cos the wood figure is growing on me. Can easily respray with "Clear lacquer" and buff till kilat-kilat.

There's a lot more sanding and clear coating to do, so this is just a work in progress.

Cheers,

Ed

heh... thanks hub37 its fun but I'm not getting enough sleep for the past few days... haha...

spectator, yes! thats my custom pine wood 5/6 cut fretless wonder!

It looks good satin but imagine how the 3d effect will be with some additional gloss coats.

This bod definately needs a flame maple neck with ebony board and abalone inlays.

great stuff Ed, makes me really wanna work on my carved top now ...

pictures of the neck tonight but you're 2/3 right about the neck specs.

Its a baritone scale Mahogany neck with striped Macassar Ebony and abalone inlays. I've already stained the Mahogany with Colron rosewood wood dye to cop that rosewood neck visual effect! hahahha...

striped Madagascar Ebony? wow ... thats something else. Cant wait to see that baby

ever tot of having the body edges like natural clear (like wood binding?)

its not as striped as I hoped to be like those used on those uber chi chi bass but it will do just fine.

bro any experience with fresh ebony fretboards? do I need to at least oil it once or just leave as is? I figure oiling it will make em stripes standout more.

man - U got me there... I have only worked on 2 ebony boards in the past and these were the "already stained" dark brown / black variety so I dont have much info on that... I think stewart mcdonald sells the ebony stain for fingerboard and U mite wanna scope that out?

I do know that oiling ebony boards is advisable coz of the brittleness of wood

Last edited:
so you gonna hang it on the wall ...nice table top tho ..

:twisted:

(beer drinkin smiley inserted here)

fgl: thank you sir! i'll just oil the neck lightly with some Danish oil and buff with some fine steel wool for the "baby's butt" smooth feel.

oh yeah and yes i tried to do the fake binding thing but USA Custom radiused the body edges. so its not that nice on this and its a real PITA to do. I've done it once on a hard edged body from WD Music and its doable. Just need to tape the sides exposing the "bound" area and do a light coat of lacquer to "seal" the wood. After that then can dye the other parts of the body. A lot of work but when you get it right it is BEST!

goose: sharrap you! hahaha...

KennethC: build for own pleasure is fun, build for others takes all the fun away. I still wanna keep this as a hobby unlike the pedal business which is no longer fun.

chanmin: thats a great name! hahaha... Dodge Guitars - Dodgiecaster, Dodgy Custom Body.

fenderben, phileo17: xie xie!

Last edited:
Looks good ed.

Did you prep the wood first? As in wipe water over the bare wood several times before applying the colour?

Btw, is the dye alcohol soluble? Or just water soluble?

nope didn't bother with the prep work cos thro experience, no matter what the wood fiber will keep lifting the moment it touches water.

i've been wanting to test if the dye is alcohol soluble but everytime i keep forgetting to put aside a little bit to test.

Back