Djembe basics

thanks alot for the advice!
wow I nearly forgot about the weight, and oh, btw, I'm a girl:) when I was at the workshop we had a closing performance and i performed with the djembe strapped.. the weight isnt that much of a problem I guess. but maybe cause I havent tried heavier djembes before =P hmmm...I think I shall get a commercial djembe then..shall look around:)

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but do you guys still meet to drum anywhere?..would like to go take a look if it's possible.

Cheers and Regards,
Nick

drumming at East Coast

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but do you guys still meet to drum anywhere?..would like to go take a look if it's possible.

Cheers and Regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

Most of the time on Saturday nite after 8 pm to 12 mi-nite along East Coast depending on the availability of the pavilion. Will PM you my contact. Welcome and look forward to see you soon.

Hand drummer

Grand master Mamady Keita

Something interesting about Djembe Drumming - Just to share with Softies members :

Quote :

Mamady Keita, Djembe Grandmaster

“The man who makes the djembe speak”

Masterclasses from 13th Sept – 21st Sept. 2008
Closing date for sign up : 1st September 2008

Dear friends,

It is with great pleasure that we present you djembe Grandmaster Mamady Keita. We are indeed honoured that Mamady has agreed to come to Singapore and we very much want to share this rare African drum maestro with all of you.

Mamady Keita is consider one of the greatest djembe player ever by many and even by fellow drum grandmasters in Africa. Once awarded ‘Best African Drummer’ in his younger days, Mamady has been wowing audiences all over the world with his virtuoso performances on the djembe since 1970s. Mamady opened his first school of percussion in 1991 in Belgium call Tam Tam Mandingue (Drums from the Manding). The school rapidly gain reputation and now has branches all over the world. Today, Mamady continues to travel around the world and carries out his mission of preserving the tradition and music of the djembe. His djembe playing and musicality is exceptional and many were thrilled, breathless and amazed after experiencing his drum solos.

Mamady will be conducting djembe masterclasses for all levels. Attached are details of the various masterclasses. To enquire more or reserve your places, please reply to this email or call 63341430.

putting rhythm back into lives

Lîla Drums
Phone/Fax : 63341430
111 North Bridge Road
#05-41 Peninsula Plaza
Singapore 179098

www.liladrums.com

Hi! I'm kinda new to the Djembe, being that I'm mainly a guitarist and I just wanted to try out playing the Djembe with acoustic guitars in the mix.

Would that be possible? Or would that be a distant dream I can only dream about?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. :(

Drumming session

wow I nearly forgot about the weight, and oh, btw, I'm a girl:) when I was at the workshop we had a closing performance and i performed with the djembe strapped.. the weight isnt that much of a problem I guess. but maybe cause I havent tried heavier djembes before =P hmmm...I think I shall get a commercial djembe then..shall look around:)

Dash,

If interested you are welcome to join us at the Community Drum Circle session on Saturday between 5 to 7 pm. Can PM me for venue details. The session is free of charge - drums provided.

Hand drummer

East Coast Jam session

Hi Hand Drummer,

Thank you for your good posting. Do you jam regularly at East Coast? I'd love to join you guys.

Kamal

Hi Kamal,

Used to jam regularly at East Coast, the problem now - towards year end rather difficult to fix a date - raining we call off. Even we can secure a sheltered pavilion encountered strong wind - not advisable, drums can get wet. We normally move along the coast line for a good sheltered pavilion. In Nov / Dec, very difficult too many campers taken up the good spot.

Why not join me on Saturday pm at KCC for some fun community drum session.

Hand drummer

Hi Kamal,

Used to jam regularly at East Coast, the problem now - towards year end rather difficult to fix a date - raining we call off. Even we can secure a sheltered pavilion encountered strong wind - not advisable, drums can get wet. We normally move along the coast line for a good sheltered pavilion. In Nov / Dec, very difficult too many campers taken up the good spot.

Why not join me on Saturday pm at KCC for some fun community drum session.

Hand drummer

Hi Hand Drummer,

What's KCC? Where is it? This Saturday? Djembes are provided? Are there also other drums there or just djembes? What time is it?

Tks.

Kamal

HI Rudimental Drummer, I know how that feels! I've got a swollen finger from playing the djembe too.. worst is, its show after show... no time for the finger to heal. I had to get one of those tape thing to wrap the finger. Best solution I found out, is that chinese instrument tape used to wrap "nails" to the fingers for playing the Sansiang. It works best!

Try the Toca rope tuned fibre djembe! Its DAMN light! For you it should be a breeze! But personally I prefer a heavy djembe to keep the weight down when I jump about. :)

Hi Hand Drummer,

What's KCC? Where is it? This Saturday? Djembes are provided? Are there also other drums there or just djembes? What time is it?

Tks.

Kamal

Kallang Community Club, Boon Keng MRT Station(somewhere there), Every Saturday, 6.30pm onwards (6.30 right?)

Djembe's, Ashiko's(Arthur Hull signature version by REMO), Conga's, Nesting drums, dun duns, tan tan's, bells, sticks, tambourines, shakers... you name it!

djembe lessons

Hi,

just wondering if kallang CC or anywhere else currently offers djembe classes?

Back