Djembe basics

KCC Community Drumming

Hello Fuji,

Will you be free this coming Saturday to join the group at KCC since we last drum together couple of weeks ago.

Pls call my mobile if your time permit.

Cheers........Hand drummer

Rikki my brudder,

I'm free this coming Saturday 5/1/08......... I will go down straight to the KCC at around 5.15pm......... see you there brudder........ Looking forward to it...... Happy Drumming!!!!!!!

Tun..tun.... tang.....tatang.....tang.......:cool:

Hi Fuji,

Just spoken to KCC and they inform me coming Saturday Community Drum session cancel. Next Saturday is OK. So sorry brother, alternative can we meet at the East Coast CP F2 for jamming session. As spoken earlier, can I invite U to see my new 'Mother Djembe' fm Germany. One need a chair to stand on - to drum.....he....he.....he......

Hand Drummer.

KCC Community Drumming

thanks handdrummer :) maybe i can drop by one of the community drumming sessions. kcc as in kembangan?

Hi nkf31,

Just spoken to Kallang CC and they inform me that coming Saturday Community Drumming session is cancelled. Next Saturday - OK. Sorry, can U pls join us next week Jan 12, - Saturday afternoon at 5.30 pm.

Hand drummer

Brudder,

We'll do the jamming session.... can't wait to see your good stuffs.... hee hee.... happy drumming....

Fuji

dudun..... dun.... tatang...... tang:cool:

Hi Fuji,

Just spoken to KCC and they inform me coming Saturday Community Drum session cancel. Next Saturday is OK. So sorry brother, alternative can we meet at the East Coast CP F2 for jamming session. As spoken earlier, can I invite U to see my new 'Mother Djembe' fm Germany. One need a chair to stand on - to drum.....he....he.....he......

Hand Drummer.[/QUOTE]

hey bro, what time does it end? cause i have youth service at church around that time. really appreciate the offer though!!

KCC - Community Drumming

hey bro, what time does it end? cause i have youth service at church around that time. really appreciate the offer though!!

Hey Bro,

Sorry miss out your message earlier, suggest to meet next Saturday at Kallang CC. KCC is just 3 mins walk behind Boon Keng MRT station. Time - 5.30 pm. But I need to contact the organiser to confirm whether the Community Drum session is available nearer to the date. Pls PM me your contact so that I confirm with U before Saturday.

Hand Drummer

KCC - Community Drumming

HD Brudder,

Wanna ask, is it on this Saturday....?:rolleyes:

Hey Fuji,

Yes - On this Saturday. Will call you at yr mobile - Sir.

The whole idea of us jamming at KCC is to test and try out some of the drums. Although this is a Fun thing but very basic for beginners. But after going thru one ot two sessions if we have enough kakis (drummers with their own personal drums), perhaps went we can grow to ten or more drummers, we can advance ourself to do somethings more interesting - Fusion stuff.

I looking forward to meet with other Softies whom are interested in sharing and learning together on hand percussions.

Ultimatel Goal - is to get everyone together - all our friends & drumming kakis to organise our very own Community Drumming session under the "SOFT" banner.

For "Rudimental Drummer" in reading - can Drum Exchange thru 'Soft', help this new Percussion group to hold our first session and to grow us to size once we are ready for it ?

Hand Drummer

Bro hand drummer -

I'm happy that you could take the lead on this one, form a committee a small one for the initial start (for this Social Activity Group - name it as an example here with an Identity bearing " Soft "... An example "Soft's Percussionists Xchange or whatever " as this group will inevitably grows the way I see it. Drum Circle are growing at very Fast Rate especially in the States too.

As regards to getting a Venue for this Soft's Percussion Drumming Group, I think it's a great idea that you get the group going at KCC as they have lots of HandDrums. Now if the group grows to a level deem by you members - that you will need your very own Venue.

You can stay making KCC a permanent home for this Soft's Percussion Xchange, if members feels comfortable - but that's provided this Soft's Social Activity Group can Retain it's Original Identity as "SPX"....if not - approached us - and it is of our Interest to assist you all find a permanent home as in "Soft's Drum Xchange Singapore" or DXS now where we share a Win-Win Situation between Jurong Green CC & Soft itself and this area of Community Building for Drums.

Many asked - Why Retain the Soft Identity.

(1) Firstly - The community is gather and Form from Soft Forum.

(2) Secondly - Soft will thus give Utmost Support here in many ways to help this Social Group grow.

(3) MOST IMPORTANTLY - We want you all to TAKE CHARGE, OWNERSHIP and HAVE INVOLVEMENT and MANAGED THIS PASSION and have FUN. - - - - Losing Soft's Identity - means everyone here (the Percussionists, the drummers, the committee who work so hard to get the group growing) - looses all rights and control of Situation......Trust me...It's for the Good of all of you.

Thank You handDrummer - I am very very glad that you have taken the 1st-Step here - You have Soft and my Utmost Support in this project (so call) and Good luck my Bro.

Get your Committee going......I will join in and assist you all on this matter here. Let the Committee organise and hold your 1st meetup.....Take a look at how we organise our 1st to this comming 10th DXS Meetup (get some ideas- call me anytime if there is a need here). Some members of DXS will be naturally interested in SPX activities.

I'm honestly hoping to see this group grow to a stage - where Xchange from both side (DXS & SPX) will come together and have an Xchange between the Percussionists & Drummers playing together....Let's battle it out in a fun way....or let's have a 200 Drummers drumming together at the same time har? .....Kekekeke the problem is "How To Get So Many Drum Sets At One Time"...

HAPPY DRUMMING my Brothers & Sisters !

Eric

Last edited:
Community Drumming thru SOFT

Bro hand drummer -

I'm happy that you could take the lead on this one, form a committee a small one for the initial start (for this Social Activity Group - name it as an example here with an Identity bearing " Soft "... An example "Soft's Percussionists Xchange or whatever " as this group will inevitably grows the way I see it. Drum Circle are growing at very Fast Rate especially in the States too.

As regards to getting a Venue for this Soft's Percussion Drumming Group, I think it's a great idea that you get the group going at KCC as they have lots of HandDrums. Now if the group grows to a level deem by you members - that you will need your very own Venue.

You can stay making KCC a permanent home for this Soft's Percussion Xchange, if members feels comfortable - but that's provided this Soft's Social Activity Group can Retain it's Original Identity as "SPX"....if not - approached us - and it is of our Interest to assist you all find a permanent home as in "Soft's Drum Xchange Singapore" or DXS now where we share a Win-Win Situation between Jurong Green CC & Soft itself and this area of Community Building for Drums.

Many asked - Why Retain the Soft Identity.

(1) Firstly - The community is gather and Form from Soft Forum.

(2) Secondly - Soft will thus give Utmost Support here in many ways to help this Social Group grow.

(3) MOST IMPORTANTLY - We want you all to TAKE CHARGE, OWNERSHIP and HAVE INVOLVEMENT and MANAGED THIS PASSION and have FUN. - - - - Losing Soft's Identity - means everyone here (the Percussionists, the drummers, the committee who work so hard to get the group growing) - looses all rights and control of Situation......Trust me...It's for the Good of all of you.

Thank You handDrummer - I am very very glad that you have taken the 1st-Step here - You have Soft and my Utmost Support in this project (so call) and Good luck my Bro.

Get your Committee going......I will join in and assist you all on this matter here. Let the Committee organise and hold your 1st meetup.....Take a look at how we organise our 1st to this comming 10th DXS Meetup (get some ideas- call me anytime if there is a need here). Some members of DXS will be naturally interested in SPX activities.

I'm honestly hoping to see this group grow to a stage - where Xchange from both side (DXS & SPX) will come together and have an Xchange between the Percussionists & Drummers playing together....Let's battle it out in a fun way....or let's have a 200 Drummers drumming together at the same time har? .....Kekekeke the problem is "How To Get So Many Drum Sets At One Time"...

HAPPY DRUMMING my Brothers & Sisters !

Eric

Thank You - RD

Great Lah...... But first let us " Percussion Group" grow to have more members thereafter we shall approach Drum Exchange thru SOFT for assistance to organize the first Percussion meet.

Rest assured - coming will have more members for the regular get-together drum sessions either at KCC or East Coast Park by the sea front. I love the Living Energy in & around the East Coast Park - plenty of fresh Air, Sea breeze, Green plants and with our feet standing/touching the Earth.

Reckon this a good - Living & Living - combination.

The djembe, a living drum with body crafted from the tree trunk, drumhead made from Goat skin and rope tune.

Once again "Thank You" - RD.

Hand drummer

Would love to join u in ur handdrumming handdrummer!

Have a set of LP aspire bongos at home. Need inspiration to play it. Else always only playing Son Montuno grooves...

My church has a Remo djembe and Bongos which I play sometimes for worship. But I'm basically only playing the rock/pop grooves on them. Need more ideas too!

Am also looking to buy a good Djembe:

1) Are LP djembes good? and ...
2) Do u know how much does a djembe stand (if i want to put it beside my drumset cos no time to tilt the drum w my knees) cost?

Djembe stand

Would love to join u in ur handdrumming handdrummer!

Have a set of LP aspire bongos at home. Need inspiration to play it. Else always only playing Son Montuno grooves...

My church has a Remo djembe and Bongos which I play sometimes for worship. But I'm basically only playing the rock/pop grooves on them. Need more ideas too!

Am also looking to buy a good Djembe:

1) Are LP djembes good? and ...
2) Do u know how much does a djembe stand (if i want to put it beside my drumset cos no time to tilt the drum w my knees) cost?

Hello Pakerdee,

We welcome you to come along for jamming sessions whenever you are available - bro. PM me if you are free tomorrow between 5.30 to 7 pm at KCC.

At the East Coast park - we prefer more on Fusion stuff. Recall the last time with some regular kakis, we try out jamming with a Dhol, a firecracker snare, a Remo djembe, a tan-tan drum, a 16" floor tom and a set of agogo bells. It turn out not too bad for a first attempt. Can explore further to improve on it.

We can share, explore and learn from each other new drumming rythym, strokes, technics in hand drumming. Although I am not an Pro but can manage to drum a bit.......lah.

A personal opinion, LP has some very exciting model. Love their - top end model - Galaxy series. Reckon it is over price XX for this model. I am not used to play on the Aspire series. The drumhead mounting is rather difficult to have very tight tuning, more-over cannot last very much during heavy slapping and bounding. The skin rather fragile and replacement cost at S$90/piece is X. Furthermore always no replacement stock - hv to wait.

I used 2 types of djembe stand myself. The Pro conga Meinl stand for the bigger mother djembe and the traditional mid-range 27" heavy duty gas tank rope djembe. The other standard and smaller djembes, I prefer to use the tilted stand. However it is not advisable for hard slaps and heavy hand stroke on base.

Suggest not to buy first - unless you are very certain of what suit you best to compliment your drum kit. Borrow one to try it out first before buying with no regret later.

Remo Djembe are much easier to play especially you don't need much strength to bring out the slap. Light and Crispy. The 'Tone'..so...so. The fyberskin is more durable and don't need to loosen after playing. I found the base is a set-back in Remo as compare to the traditional djembe. However it is a matter of one choice.

Cheers........Hand drummer

Are U back in Sin ?

I find djembe playing addictive once you're hooked to it. Few months ago, I was just trying out playing the djembe with my manicure and now, I've been faithfully playing it every week without fail and of course that means no more manicure for me. You'll be surprised that more females are interested in djembe these days, I know that as most of my classmates are female. Have fun with it!! :cool:

Hello Trish80,

Are U back and ready for drumming ? Got yourself any new toys ? Remember to keep the group posted on the drum circle session in Canada. Fellow kakis cannot wait to hear from U.........lah.

Hand drummer

sounds interesting...
actually been practising on djembe... some sort of drum circle u all doing?
perhap letting go my LP aspire djembe, u all interested..would let go..
got 2 in my hse now..haaa.... seeing whether u guys interested?

perhaps one day u guys could create video n upload to youtube abt the jamming session so at least we can see n feel how is it all about ?
:) thanks alotz...

Last edited:
Lp Aspire Djembe

sounds interesting...
actually been practising on djembe... some sort of drum circle u all doing?
perhap letting go my LP aspire djembe, u all interested..would let go..
got 2 in my hse now..haaa.... seeing whether u guys interested?

perhaps one day u guys could create video n upload to youtube abt the jamming session so at least we can see n feel how is it all about ?
:) thanks alotz...

Bro,

Tks - Got your Pm. Will discuss further.

Hand Drummer

hey..
just thought I'd ask..
are there any other shops in singapore that sell djembe?
other than sweelee and yamaha?=X
know how to play abit...but think of getting one to improve x)
thanks!

drum shop

hey..
just thought I'd ask..
thanks!

Hi,

Beside abv 2 mentioned, you can also go to Ranking or Accent. Drum is not cheap and buying the wrong drum can be painful and expensive mistake. Why not contact some of your friends who own a drum and get their vaulable feedback about drums. Learn and let ask them to share with you on some of their experiences of hand drums.

If you are keen to know more - PM me so that I can also share with you on some of my experiences and knowledge on what I know and had learned about hand drums.

Acquired my first drum more than 2 years ago but due my burning Passion in drums, now ended up close to 20 at home. I am now being warn by my ministry of home affairs not more buying drums........lah.

Hand drummer.

djembe drum

hey..
just thought I'd ask..
thanks!

Dash,

Got your PM. Personally I prefer to have both type the commerical and the traditional djembe. If I am drumming with a full ensemble of drummers including the base back-up of the kenkeni, Samban and the dununba. I personally prefer a commerical djembe, much more brighter in tone, can forget about the base, a let down (personal choice). However if I am drumming alone, I prefer the traditional rope tie djembe on a medium heavy duty natural goat skin head (I don't like the tone of the young calf skin head) together with a rounded bell body. The base tone is much mellow, deeper and has the depth. Whereas the slap and tone is much softer and in-order to achieve a crispy slap (need to tune / adjusted very tightly). Reckon the sound of the djembe is very much depend on the body. Personally - I much prefer the body crafted from the bottom end of the tree trunk - the tone tend to be richer and has more density as compare to the upper tree trunk body. Also, the sound is more season compare to the younger wood, cut from the upper trunk of the same tree .

Suggest not to buy first but test the sound out from the various music shops. Consult with some of your friends to find out their opinions on other djembes. Buy only when you are very certain of what you like.

Hand Drummer

hey(=
got your pm too. but quite busy, so might not have time to got for the saturday thing or call. so sorry >.<
hmmm.. oh yeah and it's not easy to find get people to change the drum head for the traditional djembe as compared to changing for the commercial djembe? saw some videos and seems to be not so difficult for the commercial djembe..is that true also?:)

changing traditional drum head

hey(=
got your pm too. but quite busy, so might not have time to got for the saturday thing or call. so sorry >.<
hmmm.. oh yeah and it's not easy to find get people to change the drum head for the traditional djembe as compared to changing for the commercial djembe? saw some videos and seems to be not so difficult for the commercial djembe..is that true also?:)

Bro,

Last week I send my traditional djembe to change the damaged head and it cost me SIN$70.00 for workmanship only, excluding the goat skin which I had a spare piece. The person told me, he is rather busy and can only repair and change it in one month time. If have only one djembe - you will have this problem.

Commercial djembe is much easier, you can change the drum head yourself. However many retail shops do not carry extra drum head and you ended up order in advance - waiting time. Suggest buy a djembe and a spare skin.

I normally keep one to two extra skins for my drum as it come handy whenever needed.

Believe most common mistakes for beginners are - cannot decide on the Want and the Needs. Buy one that can cater to all your "Needs" if possible. Also, depending on your style of playing (strokes & technques) that matches with your hand size. Upmost important that you must be comfortable with it and can bring out the sound of the drum. Accessories are not cheap to keep as spare.

Adding to it, suggest to buy a drum that matches your height and build as it is much easier and lighter to strap it around your body on standing and moving position during stage performance. Unless you want it on stand.

Happy Drumming - Dash.

Hand drummer.

Back