Dealing with humidity and acoustic guitars - advice please

asdavies

Hi guys,

What is the best way of looking after (but still regularly playing) an acoustic guitar given our high humidity conditions? I would like to invest in a nice guitar that I hopefully keep for decades (current guitar is 20 years old from Oz, but has suffered a bit in Singapore’s climate).

I can think of a few options for me:

Option 1: Keep the guitar on a stand in a non-air con room but away from sun. Even though the humidity is high, at least it is relatively stable.

Option 2: Buy or assemble a humidity controlled cupboard. I could buy a IKEA wardrobe and put a dehumidifier in in that can maintain a constant humidity (say at 50-60%). The only problem is that when I take the guitar out to play, it will face a rapid change in humidity.

Option 3: Humidity manage the entire room the guitars are kept in and played in. However, this would mean higher energy costs due to a larger room (roughly 3mx3m) and a bigger more expensive dehumidifier. Also, humidity levels will change I guess as and when the door to the room is opened or if my wife forgets or weekly cleaner forgets to shut the door.

Option 4: Keep guitars in case when not playing and put in one of those two-way humidity packs. Then it's a hassle taking the guitar in and out of the case and replacing the packs.

Option 5: Don't buy nice guitars or buy one of those carbon fibre guitars (which don't sound very nice IMO).

So what is worse? High and constant humidity or rapid changes in humidity? Logically, speaking which do you think are the best options? None of them seem great to me.

Last edited:
Hi,

Let's address the most important issue:
If you happen to have the ability to purchase a nice guitar that you need humidity control, its better if you commit to that wooden one than a high end carbon fibre since you won't be playing the guitar in the first place if you don't happen to appreciate it in the first place, hence this question.

Personally, I have done the following:
1)Place my acoustics in a cool shaded (away from direct sunlight) area
2)My acoustics are kept inside the case with a humidity pack
3)Have a simple hydrometer in my room from planet waves
4)Have a portable dehumidifier.

I learnt my lesson once when I happen to have a very bloated Meastro (supposedly it is to be less affected by humidity cause its made in Singapore?)

Therefore, I think option 3 is the best. If you are too concerned with taking the guitar in and out of the case then you can leave your room totally closed and switch on your dehumidifier, but thats alot of unnecessary electricity bills :/

Hey bro,

It's the stress-swell cycle that is typically more damaging to guitars in my opinion. That said, it is certainly recommended that guitars be properly dehumidified when they swell excessively over long periods of time. This will relieve the guitar of stress and prevents permanent deformation.

I personally would recommend option 3 if your guitars are fairly expensive. A dehumidifier for a small room wouldn't cost much (We have one at $380) and do not take up much energy. An enclosed environment is certainly recommended but it wouldn't hurt if they aren't consistently enclosed neither. We offer the same to our clients when they return to dehumidify their guitars with us and it has always worked well.

You may also wish to give our new McPherson carbon fiber guitars a try, they do sound pretty amazing for me. It's my primary instrument for all my gigs these days.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back