DAMN DEPRESSED ! help me if u can

siva

i got a podxt and damn .. i cannot seem to get a gd tone out of it

podxt users please gimme as much advice as possible in this area . cos im kidna new to it lar ..

under the WHAT ARE YOU CONNECTED TO ? what should i be choosing ?
studio direct , stack front , stack pwramp , combo front , combo pwramp , bose ps1 ?

i use a ibanez rg prestige 2550 and a ibanez 10 watter..

please help THX !

i think there're choices for the speaker u're going through right? think u need to change under the software to use a 1x10" speaker so that the pod xt live can emulate well with it.

I think the most important thing you need right now is a decent guitar amp with good clean sound.

A 10watter with 6.5 or 8" speaker is very difficult to get a desirable versatile tone from. Once a guitarist progress to finding more tones, the amp is the first item to upgrade, not effects.

If you are on a low budget, can consider a smarvo 40watter 12". Cheap & good.

im using the ibanez 10 watt amp that came with the beginner package .( got gain bass mids treble volume knobs)

mine is the podxt .. the red kidney shaped 1 ..

wah.. now damn depressed ah .. emailed line 6 ah .. waiting for their help

dude, tell us wat's wrong with the sound man?
if you remember what Randolf said yesterday, the amp is the crux of getting good tone. You gotta have a good clean tone before you can build anything on it, and I doubt you can achieve that with your Ibanez 10 watts.

siva said:
i got a podxt and damn .. i cannot seem to get a gd tone out of it

podxt users please gimme as much advice as possible in this area . cos im kidna new to it lar ..

under the WHAT ARE YOU CONNECTED TO ? what should i be choosing ?
studio direct , stack front , stack pwramp , combo front , combo pwramp , bose ps1 ?

i use a ibanez rg prestige 2550 and a ibanez 10 watter..

please help THX !

To answer your question, I assume you need to choose "combo front". But anyway, the fact of the matter is, modellers like the PODXT aren't really designed to give good tone in front of an amp. Once in a while you may get good results depending on the amp (i.e. if your amp has a flat enough frequency response when all knobs are set to 12o'clock). The PODXT will sound best plugged in directly to a slave amp or though a mixer then out to studio monitors or any good quality powered speaker system. If you really want to run it through a combo amp, then you should be getting an amp with a preamp bypass so you can run the PODXT straight through your combos poweramp section. Another option would be through the effects loop, but the former would still yield better results. Alternatively, you could also look into products like the Atomic Reactor 212 slave amp, which is really designed for use in conjunction with amp modellers.

See, it's not really the POD XT nor your amp at fault. It's the way you're using it that's not allowing you to get good tone out of it. If you really want to get your tone through equipment running in front of the amp, then I suggest getting rid of the PODXT and stick with dedicated effects units.

Get the Smarvo and stick the XT into the Effects Loop.
I bet my balls it'll sound better. :D
And of course, the good clean sound thing.

I totally agree with jdawg. The way you used the PodXT is not really optimal. You can try to turning off the speaker simulation on PodXT as your amp speaker is already shaping the sound. Keep your amp setting as clean and flat eq as possible. Don't use the effect loop, go direct.

My recommended setup
Guitart -> PodXT -> Good pair of studio monitor
Guitart -> PodXT -> Good pair of stereo headphone
Guitart -> PodXT -> Line in of a good hi-fi set (my friend did that to good measure)
2nd Alternative
Guitart -> PodXT -> Transparent amp (Whatever that may be e.g. Roland jazz chorus)

For my I used guitarport exclusively (similar to PodXT) for practise with headphone. And IMO, it sound great.
When I wanted enjoy or try play something serious, my tube amp is the weapon of choice.

Hope you can get a good setup.

Before you spend money on more gadgets to chain to your PodXT, why not check if it is really capable of giving you your "right" tone?

How? Simply plug your headphones in to the PHONE jack and listen. Note that once you use headphones, PodXT will automatically switch to DIRECT STUDIO. This means you'll be using the amp and cabinet simulation software which will give you the actual tone that PodXT is intended to produce.

If you're still the least satisfied with the various amp and effect models, then I doubt a PodXT is really what you need in the first place.

Otherwise, try either of the PWRAMP settings if you're outputing to your Ibanez amp. Both FRONT settings will sound very thin thru a 10 watter IMHO. Personally I use COMBO PWRAMP setting via a Vox Pathfinder. Alternatively, I also suggest that you connect the PodXT directly to a hi-fi set or even computer speakers (via computer) and use the DIRECT STUDIO setting. You don't have to bother about BOSE P1 unless you're using one.

Anyway, be very patient and experiment with as many different settings as possible before you give up and start GAS-ing.

The missing key? A power speakers/monitors with probably a 12 inch speaker. I feel an 8 inch speaker will not give you the sound you'd want.

Back