Cycling on pavements - allowed?

EugeneSmasher

The basic question is as above.

And if you're wondering, I did my research and checked the Singapore Statutes, Road Safety Act. There's info about cycling on roads and following traffic rules, blah blah blah, but there's nothing about cycling on pavements (the walkways where pedestrians walk).

However, my mom thinks that it is illegal, so just want to clarify here. Don't want to get into any more scrapes with the traffic police. So, cycling on pavements - illegal or legal?

Thanks in advance!

Fair enough if a cyclist cycles in a manner dangerous to pedestrians, he/she can be prosecuted, but what about a responsible cyclist who cycles slowly and cautiously?

Depends. Cyclists should be considerate for peds, Motorists should be considerate for cyclists. The way Singaporeans drive, cycling on pavents better be allowed. Drive so close to the yellow lines, the honk at you even though they on the next lane. Alamak.

Yep. Everybody must play his/her part. Cycling on roads is more dangerous than mountain biking in my opinion. At least rocks, trees and fallen branches don't move around in unpredictable manners.

I've almost been knocked down by impatient drivers on many occasions, and the green man was on. Ironically, most of those impatient drivers were taxi drivers.

I still don't know if it's legal! Help!

Even if its Illegal, try telling the policeman to tell his 8 year old son to cycle on the road. Even there is a rule that says its illegal, government didn't enforce it because it is not practical. U see on the pavements there are divisions into cyclist's red pavements, and then joins back to the main pavement. It means it is not illegal, but if cyclists can separate from the main pavement it's better. I've been cycling past police, police cars and police posts for years and I have not been in any trouble. They will only get you when u are cycling dangerously.

Considering I've cycled past police on pathways, it should be legal because they never stopped me, only the people who cycle on the road, asking them to cycle on the pathway instead

Its a give and take situation on the pathways

Cyclists should be considerate to the people on the pathway. Ride at a moderate speed, ring your bell if you see people 50 metres ahead of you

Pedestrians, please don't make life more difficult for cyclists. When you hear their bell, please step aside and let them pass. Don't make life more difficult for them or yourself. And its a lot more safer if you just stepped aside then trying to obstruct the way.
I've seen an idiot purposely obstruct the way, forcing the cyclist to go around and actually knock into a roadside barrier. Bike and biker flew and gave pedestrian a scratch. Fight ensured, police were called in, and the pedestrian got a big shelling from the police for being inconsiderate.

Bottom line: Give and take, and everything would be fine

Yep. Everybody must play his/her part. Cycling on roads is more dangerous than mountain biking in my opinion. At least rocks, trees and fallen branches don't move around in unpredictable manners.

I've almost been knocked down by impatient drivers on many occasions, and the green man was on. Ironically, most of those impatient drivers were taxi drivers.

I still don't know if it's legal! Help!

I'm an avid cyclist and i have to say

Ride on pavement shiok meh, keep stopping, so slow etc

Road biking is daunting in the first few rides, i felt that way too. But follow traffic rules, go slow, be considerate and you'll be fine.

But what do i know, i just got knocked down by a taxi last week...

Do you ride a roadie or an mtb?

Hmmm okay. Thanks guys! I got better peace of mind now, guess it's not illegal after all since the police aren't stopping cyclists who cycle on the pavements. Shall try it soon. :cool:

Because here in Woodlands, feeder and intra-town buses tend to take a long time to arrive so for shorter distances within Woodlands and maybe Kranji as well, bicycle seems a more appropriate choice of transport.

My bike's neither here nor there actually. Looks like a mountain bike but it's fully rigid and it's single-speed. I'm intending to get a Giant Yukon someday (I can afford it now but just barely), but I rather wait until I can very easily afford it.

Well i think cycles should stick to being on the road. I've stayed in the UK for a few years and over there there are designated cycle lanes on the roads and most of the British drivers are very considerate to cyclists so it's pretty safe.

Right now I'm in Canada, and bikes are not permitted on the sidewalks. but, like the UK, there are designated cycle lanes here. It's also mandatory for cyclists to wear a reflective jacket and a helmet.

Last edited:
I just don't get cyclists.

Along Loyang Ave, there is a designated lane of sorts on the pavement that links both Changi Beach and Pasir Ris Park, meant for bicycles. Even with such a thoughtful gesture by the NPB, I still see people cycling on the road or on the foor traffic-only pavement on the opposite side of the road which is bloody narrow.

I never give way when I am walking along the latter pavement. Why? BECAUSE PROVISION HAS BEEN MADE FOR CYCLISTS TO USE THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD AS A DEDICATED LANE YET THESE PEOPLE ARE DUMB ENOUGH TO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. How hard is it to cross the road before the Shell Station, if they're heading to Changi?

/rant

Last edited:
Well, some places don't have designated bicycle paths.

Here in Woodlands, it's the opposite of your experience. Here, more people walk on the bicycle paths than on the pedestrian walkways. Hence, cyclists are forced to cross over to the pedestrian walkways because the roads here are very busy and dangerous for cyclists. There are inconsiderate cyclists, but there are also inconsiderate pedestrians.

Last edited:
its actually illegal to cycle on pavement meant for pedestrain walking and subjected to $20 fine, according to TP.

This was one of the many issue debated in parliament 2-3 years back and the news was in paper as well.

Anyway, i breiefly remember reading that in papers round that time and a quick search online, i found this. It mentioned bout which chapter what so ever on the act of cycling on pavement is illegal.

http://irresponsiblemotorists.blogspot.com/2008/02/keep-cyclists-out-of-pedestrian.html

anyway, while theres rules and regulations, its impossibe for the governing body to keep a look out for these sorta thing. Imho, wanna cycle on pavement, be a responsible cyclist.

Might as well sell my bike already. Cycle on the road, my death's just around the corner. Cycle on the walkway, $20 fine. Don't know about other people but from long-time experience, I know I have an uncanny ability to get into trouble.

Other cyclists can cycle on the pavements if they want but for me, forget it. Sucks being a cyclist in Singapore.

The law is only as powerful as the person who enforces it.
Considering that the enforcers do not enforce it, to what good is the law? It is merely a line on a piece of paper, that is all

Anyway, since people are complaining about cyclists using pavements, perhaps I should also remind people not to become idiots and get their feet of the cycling track

I used to cycle at East Coast regulary until a particular incident stopped me.
For those who go there often or stay near there, on weekends, it is usually very crowded, to such an extent that the pedestrians actually walk on the cycling roads, putting themselves and the cyclists at danger.

I was cycling at a relatively moderate speed one night when there was this group of 3 girls in front, occupying the whole entire lane. To my right, was traffic that went in the opposite direction.
I rang my bell as soon as they were 50 metres in front of me, however, they refused to budge.
So I decided to go around them as the incoming traffic on the right was empty and I was confident that I could go around those girls before the incoming bikes came.
So still ringing my bell, I cycled around the group to the left, until I was cycling ON the white road divider.
Suddenly, the girl on the right jumped to the right, and straight into my path. The girl in the middle had attempted to playfully slap the girl on the right.
I swerved, lost control of the bike and skidded. My back wheel scratched the girl on the leg. I crashed and flew off the bike, right in front of the girls.
The bike, wasn't so lucky. It went into the opposite direction, onto the incoming path.
The cyclists in front also had to skid to avoid my flying bike. One of them fell off the bike but thankfully he wasn't too badly injured

The most ridiculous thing of all, was that despite bleeding from the arm and knee, I was subjected to the girl's malicious screaming and scolding for being "an inconsiderate rider"
They refused to let me go until some other eyewitnesses scolding them for being the inconsiderate ones that they shut up and left the place in a huff.

Consider this:
They were making things inconsiderate for people by walking on the cycling path when they weren't supposed to.
I had gave them ample warnings with my ringing of my bell for the whole 50 metres I travelled till I flew
They made sudden movements that were beyond my control

If people are complaining about cyclists on pavements, then perhaps pedestrians should also stop acting like as if they own the pavement. I always believed it is give and take.
And also, since there are some people who are anal enough to insist on persecuting cyclists who use pavements (I see a lot of them doing so on the SGClub forums), then in the same way I propose that we persecute pedestrians on cycling roads as jaywalkers, giving them the exact same punishments that jaywalkers on traffic roads get. After all, they are putting everyone at risk by jaywalking

i've been riding off-road and road ride for a while and yea encounter a few inconsiderate drivers and pedestrians but i never ever got stop by TP or any police for cycling on pavement accept for a few pedestrian than scold me for cycling "too fast" on the pavement.

i was cycling fast on the pavement but when i was near them i went off-road on the grassy patch beside them and than jump back on the pavement. the guy shouted at me, i stop, cycle back infront of him and taunt him and scold him back! hhah

once i was cycling on the left side road, got this car rev up and go infront of me, jam brake to do the left turn. too slow to react, i e-brake and slam right at the back of his car, got a really really bad fall, bleeding, sore, etc..etc.. that guy go out and shouted at me saying i am drunk etc..etc.. i was so pissed i take out my bike pump and limp to him, that coward freaked out and get into his car and drove off. I wish he stayed i would kick his @ss big time.

went off-road on the grassy patch beside them and than jump back on the pavement. the guy shouted at me, i stop, cycle back infront of him and taunt him and scold him back! hhah

that guy go out and shouted at me saying i am drunk etc..etc.. i was so pissed i take out my bike pump and limp to him, that coward freaked out and get into his car and drove off. I wish he stayed i would kick his @ss big time.

Pics or it didn't happen

Last edited:
Back