Free gigs anyone? It's time to make a stand, musicians!

christoh

"Not bad for the only Asian act in the SINGfest foreign line-up."
That line was written about the Wonder Girls' performance at Singfest last week. Funny, I thought Singapore was in Asia too. Even funnier is that two Singapore bands played, one was called "a local band" - but in reality is pronounced "Inch Chua and the Metric System".

Anyhoo, Facebook and other forums/social networking sites have been awash with indignant people complaining about how the local press doesn't support local music, blah blah blah.

It's funny because I was talking to a couple of rather prominent members of the music circle here and I asked what could be done to help indie musicians. Perhaps an association or a union, I suggested.

They scoffed. One said, "You can't even get two bands to agree on a minimum fee!" The other told me about how there used to be a union but due to the fact that the musicians themselves couldn't be bothered to do anything about it, in the end that whole system collapsed.

Can bands here agree on a minimum fee? Seriously.

FACT: Local bands agree to play for free. QUESTION: Can bands just please STOP playing for free(except for charity shows perhaps, or your friend's gig)?

True story: I used to get slammed by other local bands and organisers for wanting payment for any performance my band did - apart from charity shows. I wasn't asking for much, just taxi fare to go home after the gig, and food and drinks (not even free flow, just for the meal). That's $100 for the whole band. Is that too much?

True, we didn't get as much gigs as others bands did, but I think we made a bit more money than they did. And we did it playing original music too. We even got to play at the Singapore Indoor Stadium as an opening act. And got paid thousands for it. True, that was last time, before inflation, before Sars, before the 1997 Asian crisis. But...

It's basic math: If you spend $100 on rehearsals plus transport for each gig, and you make $0 from each gig, if you were as prolific as GSE in their first year, playing 60 gigs, you'd have made a total of -$6,000. Do we really want to lose money every time we did a gig? I don't think so. And I don't think we should. If nothing else, we should cut costs at least.

Back then, organisers already took advantage of local bands because they treated us like second class citizens. What did the local bands do? Well, nothing much. Oh, they complained. But not to NAC, not to MICA, so nobody helped. And whenever organisers wanted a band to play free "for exposure", they agreed. So how to win like that?

It's time we took a stand: Say "no" to free gigs (unless it's charity shows or if you're helping out a friend).

Here's a possible doomsday scenario. Someone wants you to open for a major act like U2. They ask you to play for free because you'll get a crowd of 10,000. That's a lot of exposure. It's tempting. But you say no. Everybody says no. The organisers go, so what, it's U2, we'll still make money.

But then, everybody can complain and say, HEY, why aren't we getting some form of renumeration for our efforts? And can complain to NAC - organisers aren't giving musicians fair due. NAC would probably have to listen if every single band in Singapore complained about the same thing to them. Otherwise, just draft a letter to the PM's Office. (But remember to use phrases like "local aesthetic" or "life values".)

If organisers got stubborn and refused to pay local acts their just dues, they're saying "we don't think local acts are good enough", that would imply that the local music scene isn't vibrant. How to be arts hub like that? Besides, wouldn't it be funny if Singfest had no local acts?

But here's something to consider. Same scenario. How can you capitalise on that 10,000 and monetise it? Perhaps if the organisers allow you to set up a merch stall selling your CDs and stuff? If you sell each item $1 above cost, and sell 10,000 copies, you'd make $10,000 in profit. But can you sell 10,000?

By the way, has anyone written to NAC for help? Anyone? Anyone? Sure, NAC might not do anything about it - but they ARE our arts council that's meant to help develop the arts and the last time I checked music in all its form was still listed under the arts. And at least the first move has been made, rather than just yelling out on Facebook.

And what about our Arts NMP? She has a Facebook page (search for Arts NMP (Singapore) or http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...ent_reply#!/group.php?gid=149593403966&ref=ts).

Last time I checked, she was empowered by the arts community to help state our case in the larger playing field that is the government. Again, it's true that nothing might be done, but would you rather say, at the end of it all, "at least we did something" or "we should've done something".

Drop Audrey a message and let Audrey help you in whatever way she can. She seems like she really wants to. So why not give it a shot? What have you got to lose? It's time we took a stand. And make that stand work.

(Just out of curiosity: How much is the minimum amount that bands will play for? I really want to know. Drop me a comment at my blog - http://blogs.todayonline.com/poparazzi)

PS: If you want to leave negative comments, could you do me a favour and skip out all the name-calling, rudeness and foul language? Please? Say what you need to say without being nasty. Otherwise, it's very difficult to publish your comments as is. Better yet, offer constructive criticism.

Eg: Perhaps you should check your facts before making such comments if you want to be taken seriously (constructive despite negativity - great)

Maybe you should have your brain checked by an otter (constructive - slightly, bordering on rude).

You're a ****** ******** disappointment, your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries and you have no brain (rude, not funny - except for elderberry reference, definitely not constructive at all)

Hi Chris, very insightful post. I am sure this is something on the mind of many musicians/bands. Not just in the local scene but everywhere in the world. HOW TO MAKE A LIVING PLAYING MUSIC.

Just like any other profession, musicians need to go through the training, gain the experience and finally get the recognition they deserve.

I have seen the news report where the 'local band' was not named. Honestly, that is not a big concern for me. The issue created more publicity for the reporter than the 'local band'.

There is a formula to this.

Create really good songs. Make every song a radio hit. Use that as gauge to your song's commercial viability.

Perform really good live show. Make the audience connected to you. Use your superstar charm. Win more supporters.

Good business sense. Identify where you can make the revenue. Corporate gigs, CD sales, digital sales, own gigs, endorsement, merchandise, fan club ...

Add up the above and you will be in demand!! Newspaper/Magazine will have your face on the front page. Radio will play your music back to back. Aunties will want their daughter/son Or they themselves to marry you.

There is a time when the musician/band will have to make the decision to play anymore free gigs or not. It will be a moment of enlightenment. Not soon but if they work at it, it will come.

Great thread, Chris.

I'm not in a band right now but it is true that local musicians should stop agreeing to play for free in a profitable event. Getting paid and working for free is what separates the professionals from the hobbyists. If the majority of musicians agree to play for free for 'exposure', then you're setting the norm and encouraging the attitude of concert promoters/organisers towards local bands - that you're only hobbyists and hobbyists shouldn't get paid.

They most probably think they are the ones doing you a favour for providing you a stage even though, as Chris said, you put in a lot of resources and effort in rehearsals and transport. There's a word for that: exploitation.

You shouldn't think "if I ask to get paid, I'm going to lose out because other bands agree to play for free and they're the ones who'll get gigs" because how far can you go working for free? It'll only be a matter of time before you call it quits because you realise your efforts are not rewarded and it has become a burden.

If organisers got stubborn and refused to pay local acts their just dues, they're saying "we don't think local acts are good enough", that would imply that the local music scene isn't vibrant. How to be arts hub like that?
Organisers will say it's not their fault. They will quote audiences who say "we don't think local acts are good enough", even though these audiences have never heard any local act outside of Singapore Idol. How to be arts hub? Honestly I think promoting the country as an arts hub is ridiculous. You can buy everything you need for IT or life science or whatever hub. But you can't buy culture. Union support or even laws to make them pay bands is not going to promote understanding or appreciation of music or the arts.

It's always bothered me that musicians are the one bunch who'll work for free. No other group of creative talents will go without basic compensation... even the least recognised artist gains, at minimum, a favour in return for contributing a piece of work. But musicians often play for free and never hear from the same organisers again. I guess it says something about how desperate many young people are for exposure, or to put it bluntly, some misguided notion of fame.

I agree completely that the way out is to choose not to play for free, and obviously we have to all stand together on this issue. But there will always be someone willing to "sell out" for -- ironically -- $0.

What bugs me is people (not just organisers) who scoff and say "if you love making music so much, you'll do it for free"... Well if they like listening to our music, they'll pay for it! Or not...

i think if its a profitable event then there should be some sort of an allowance. its the demand and supply theory. if they want you badly, they will pay. nothing is free.

Good business sense. Identify where you can make the revenue. Corporate gigs, CD sales, digital sales, own gigs, endorsement, merchandise, fan club ...

Business sense is what really lack locally. This is biggest between local and international act. Even govt cannot do anything about it.

At first, I agree to the NAC part of the article. However, no matter how many money govt can give, it is no going to solve the problem. Becos. you need able person(lot of them)to create this music industry. there is no music industry that is created by any govt. Govt can only help to protect industry as we pay them(tax) to do so.

If organisers got stubborn and refused to pay local acts their just dues, they're saying "we don't think local acts are good enough", that would imply that the local music scene isn't vibrant. How to be arts hub like that? Besides, wouldn't it be funny if Singfest had no local acts?

Do you know that some local solo artist get paid $XXXX for a gig not even the scale of Singfest?

A local band need fame to get them getting paid for gig. First produce very good album, a standard that can put on HMV shelf. Then buy as many airtime for TV and radio broadcast. Keep doing that until little kids, ah peh and ah ma know who you are round in Singapore.Of cos,buy prior slot in all music store to feature your album. It is good to have bus to promote your album. Then TV appearance will come and you are able to command a price for performance. It is what I know the market part of local solo artist like Ou De Yang,Joi Chua and Tanya Chua. Of cos they dun really do this part, but handle by some powderful artist manager.

^ Kong wee , interestingly how u said 1st produce a good album , most local bands and artists do shy away from that mostly due to lack of $$$ and even in the recording industry , undercutting is pretty rampant and honestly who wants to do so much work for so little $$ ? even if it's for the love of it .

Chris i think you've mentioned some good points and as always thanks for sticking up for Singapore Music , below is a response i posted to another friend's FB page regarding my thoughts on the situation :

" Q-Sujin Thomas:If you do not fully respect and recognise talent in local bands, DO NOT ask them to perform at your silly festival. Mutual boycott is the way to go.

A -Roland Lim : ‎^ i think u guys need to know that festivals like BDO and Soundwave , when they offer local band/stage slots the terms and payment aren't too far off what Singfest is offering. at the end of the day it benefits the local bands more to be on the bill than the organizers , who have to cover a huge overlay and cost. I understand the outrage and of course i would love for our local bands to have more exposure/more "respect" and more pay but unlike the chinese mandopop scene or jazz circle ( from the little that i do know ) our " local ORIGINAL english " music scene doesn't have a legit industry that the outside peeps/organizations/corporations can trust/rely/put their money in , moreover imho there are only literally a handful of original english local acts that can deliver a great show worthy of a huge festival slot and most of these acts have already been offered and have played a similar festival ( be it baybeats/mosaic/singfest etc. )

Bani Haykal of B Quartet has also eloquently put that our small community faces segregation amongst one another thru genres and age gaps and there are so many dividing cliques and so much shit talking/back stabbing/tall poppy syndrome that it's hard for people to take us seriously. And this is painfully obvious because our other scene counterparts are doing much better than us .

I'm a huge fan of Sixx, i think they're a wonderful act and one of the best /most enjoyable to watch in Sg .it's a bummer what happened but at least midas offered them something for the cancellation . also it's a huge misconception that it was due to kanye west rocking up late that caused the cancellation , however i clarified with one of the sixx members and was told that all the acts who soundchecked were running late and the program was just way too behind schedule * apparently *. People also need to understand that cancellations like these do happen in other countries/festivals etc etc and it's usually the 1st band or act that has to give way unfortunately . There are curfews( i was told the Fort canning curfew is 12am by one of the assistant sound engineers ) /insurance/staff working hours / safety issues that need to be taken consideration when running overtime , it's not just a simple disrespectful manner or disregard for local acts that causes organizers to cancel slots .

Lastly , respect is something that i feel needs to be earned , not demanded or expected . If we want to be taken seriously it needs to come from ourselves 1st .

Also I hope people understand that boycotting isn't the solution . There are deeper and more outstanding issues as to why our local english music scene artistes aren't getting the 'respect' they deserve and unless we work together to sort 'em out things are gonna stay the same shitty way they are . "

Just My 2 Cents

this is ridiculous. if people don't want to play for free, i surely will. because i know my place, i know my limits, and i know that i am not of the same calibre as singfest headliners.

the OP ignores a key element: RESPECT

by respect i am not talking about how we should DEMAND respect FROM others. it is about how we should GIVE respect TO others. and i think it is bloody rich that any local band in singapore should DEMAND the kind of RESPECT that international artists DESERVE, because the bottom line is that THEY DO NOT DESERVE IT.

while you can argue that international acts are backed by massive record labels, on the other hand, there is nothing to suggest that they have not EARNED this support.

i have reiterated time and time again that music is an industry. if you want to be successful, you need to know how to do business. if you want to remain an amateur, it doesn't matter. but where professionals are concerned, the amount of money you deserve is proportionate to the amount of money you can make.

it's time for a reality cheque. if you were part of a large event organising company, or a huge record label, and the CEO sits you down and asks you to explain why he should spend big money on a local act, what are you going to point to? their worldwide popularity? record sales? or are you just going to say, "oh, they are LOCAL and they are good"? obviously, in this modern day and age, that is not enough. i'm sure there are many good korean bands/artists, but not all of them achieve the kind of success that the wondergirls have.

i find that in singapore, we are always asking ourselves what we need rather than what we deserve.

there are big monks in small temples. and then there are small monks in big temples. but when you consider big monks in big temples, there is no comparison.

i will leave you with a quote:
"And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Last edited:
Cause #1
Local is not that cool. Good example is how many Chinese and Malay singers have to go overseas to "make it" and come back before we locals say "hey this singer is good!".

Cause #2
How many so called "fans" actually buy a CD? Most try to sponge a free copy from the band or copy from a friend. How many "supporters" turn up at gigs but try ways and means to gain free entry even if they are working adults and the tickets cost $8?

Cause #3
Bani Haykal of B Quartet has also eloquently put that our small community faces segregation amongst one another thru genres and age gaps and there are so many dividing cliques and so much shit talking/back stabbing/tall poppy syndrome that it's hard for people to take us seriously. And this is painfully obvious because our other scene counterparts are doing much better than us.

Cause #4
Bands who themselves are willing to play for free or even worst "pay to play"! Some organizers will ask bands to sell "x" number of tickets or else they won't get to play or post a request asking for opening bands when some foreign act comes to town.

Lets face it! We are own worst enemy. It has been for so many years. During my elder brother's time in the 80's when the scene was forming until now. Bands may change but the scene remains the same.

the fact remains that for (at least) most of us amateurs, playing itself brings us satisfaction, because making music is a passion, not a job. this satisfaction cannot be easily quantified. hence the idea that we need to be paid for playing is warped. it is as if playing is something that we rather not do, like work, and need to be compensated for it.

if you say that gig organisers need to remunerate bands for the amount of money they had spent for rehearsals etc in order for the bands to break even, it does not take into account the intangible benefit that the band receives by having an opportunity to play.

on the other hand, it would be difficult to prove how much marginal benefit the gig organiser would gain if he allows a local band to play. that is why they have bargaining power.

i would much rather see bands play for passion and the love for music, than to do it for the money.

Last edited:
the fact remains that for (at least) most of us amateurs, playing itself brings us satisfaction, because making music is a passion... and need to be compensated for it.

does not take into account the intangible benefit that the band receives by having an opportunity to play.
How many bands have translated this "opportunity" to some degree of success? For new bands it maybe great for exposure but there comes a time where the gig organizers are juz making use of the band.

Many local bands see playing as a hobby. Not something you can make a living from (or at least some kopi $$$). So they treat it as that and so our scene will be like this. Its more than 20 odd years and nothing has changed.

Hate to say this but this is Singapore so the government has to involve more people who are actually in the scene and not let it b run by some civil servant wannabe scene-ster with a fancy overseas degree. They did it with some measure of success with sports and I'm sure it will work with music.

I agree with shinobi's last post, in terms of a musician's/band's playing for satisfaction of playing up stage on top of their passion. I'm a musician myself, and for me the moments on stage are priceless no doubt.

However, the part of bands/musicians being paid I would not say is totally warped. Not that they feel they need to be paid, because the experience(in many forms) they get easily overwrites the thought of monetary benefits truly. Imo though, if bands/musicians throughout Singapore definitely get paid by organisers for their shows, it's really a more healthy SIGN in the music scene rather than anything else.

The day gig organisers of smaller gigs can consistently and unconditionally pay Singaporean acts for their shows, imo, boils down mainly to a comfotable number of people that buy the tickets and support/watch where they can get the money to pay with. I stress again though the point is not about the money, just that if that day comes, it means there is a growing number of fans and supporters, and that there is more of a music scene here to talk about and be proud of. So, It's really about the general crowd in Singapore, but no one can really force them to like or not like what they hear.

If any of us had an Instruction Manual to tell us how to make Singapore acts get what they deserve and make the music scene a more appreciated and stronger one, I'm sure anyone of us would without a doubt carry it out. Problem is that don't exist...and particularly I myself have no idea to make it better, like many others. I also just see loads of factors and problems which just keep the music scene status quo. But alas, we all support and wish the best for it.

Last edited:
^ Kong wee , interestingly how u said 1st produce a good album , most local bands and artists do shy away from that mostly due to lack of $$$ and even in the recording industry , undercutting is pretty rampant and honestly who wants to do so much work for so little $$ ? even if it's for the love of it .

There is a local chinese band gain fame through TV completion. But the album is sub standard. So now, I never hear that band name for a moment.

My personal opinion will be
1. If u feel u are not gd, u can start out to play for free for the purpose of exposure. To hgain experience etc.
2) Subsequently, start to upgrade by finding paid gigs. U gotta start somewhere, cos playing for free won't get u anywhere and besides its not friendly on ur pockets(jamming fee, equipment).
3) Always negotiate pay or some form of remuneration, gota emphasize, u pay peanuts, u get monkeys, i'm sure uphand, the organsiers would be able to work something out. But of cos, u muz be of a certain standard to ask for pay.
4) Lastly, i'm not really a fan of pay to play gigs, sure u can start out by doing that, but gotta move on at a certain pt too. Unless ur friends don't mind paying to buy ur tix, otherwise i feel its best if u can win over real "fans" not ur own friends.
Tat would be the best satisfaction.

And yep, if we musicians in the local scene don't unite tgt, no one is goin to help us. Cohesion is strength bros..
So let's do our part. :)

Cheers! Peace :)

actually i would disagree.

i have seen some local acts that are easily on par with acts from US/European acts. some can even rival international touring acts.

i play mainly in a 4-piece light jazz/traditional blues band and this is what we ask for:

$400 - for a set of 45 mins or so and to organise a jam for people after.
we have been paid anywhere from $100 per pax to $300 a pax. thats not including negotiation on food and drinks and rental of equipment. (PA, drumsets, amps, mikes)
we refuse any gig that says that we play for free, for less that $80 per pax, or even that we get paid 20% of drinks sales for the time that we get paid.

i would say that it is the indie versus other genres phenomenon. its the same in other countries. especially if you are a small and relatively unknown indie act.
i mean what i play is relatively unknown, in other words, "indie", but we do throw in a few audience -friendly songs that people will recognise, so maybe that tempers it a little. but i know what i play. i play essentially top 40s (albeit top 40s from the 40s and 50s, haha) but with original instrumentation.

but agreed. we need a musician's union. in fact, every sector if u examine carefully, needs a proper worker's union to agree on minimum pay.

the point is that:
you can play for passion and get paid at the same time. both can go hand in hand, even in singapore.
what many bands lack tho, is some aligning with the audience in terms of songs.
sure, play your originals and be satisfied and happy, but pepper it with songs which the audience will appreciate. you are not selling out or compromising your integrity this way.
you are simply realistically keeping your own passion alive and igniting it in the audience.

Last edited:

i have seen some local acts that are easily on par with acts from US/European acts. some can even rival international touring acts.

Agree. Singapore has got some crazy talent dude. Some that can even own it with not-so-brilliant stage equipment.

Last edited:
Back