Cobus!

Plus there are probably a whole lot of girls from his side of the world who'd want to date him as well lol :p

But yeah, nice groovy playing :)

But yeah, nice groovy playing :)

i wouldn't call it groovy. frankly i find his playing nothing special because i've seen a lot of people who play like this and moreover his strokes aren't really clean. his right hand always accents every beat and drowns out his left. meaning his strokes are not even.

but i dig the crossover sticking though it's not new, first time i've seen it used that way. buddy rich normally uses it for the toms and dennis chambers uses it for his timpani roll on cymbals. but the way cobus did it was pretty awesome.

i also dig the snare sound. but other than that, his playing is not really exceptional.

I notice around the forum that evident, you like to put out a lot of criticisms with regards to people's playing.

Perhaps you like to show us a video of your playing and what you can do, cos' you seem to be free of those mistakes that you've suggested of other people?

I notice around the forum that evident, you like to put out a lot of criticisms with regards to people's playing.

Perhaps you like to show us a video of your playing and what you can do, cos' you seem to be free of those mistakes that you've suggested of other people?

tell me this:

does a movie critic has to be able to make the world's best movie?

does a food connoisseur definitely have to be able to make a good dish?

someone who criticize may not have to artistic creativity, originality or ability to produce a good piece of work, and he still can be a good critic.

i know the principles of drumming, and i know enough to tell good from bad. i didn't say cobus was bad. in fact i'll admit he's better than me in this genre of music that he plays. but that doesn't mean i can't criticize or give comments. you don't have to be the world's best chef to tell what crappy food taste like.

and if you actually read all my replies, i always back my comments with reasons why i think so and how it can be better. instead of flaming and saying they suck and just leaving it at that. my motive is to help people think critically as well as know what areas to improve in. if you're not happy with that then fine, give me a good reason why i should stop helping others.

and i've never, in any of my posts, say that i am better than said players or that i am free of these mistakes, if i know that they are better than me. if you can point one out, just give me any URL. and i'll post a video for YOU alone. please don't malign me, i do not criticize in ill will.

i think you misread me when i said it wasn't groovy, because it isn't. it's rocking, it's pumping, it's not meant to be groovy. groovy is normally associated with laid-back funky styles. i failed to mention this previously.

Last edited:
okaye chilll.
Cobus isnt the best drummer out there.
I like his style and he has soul!!!

bigblackbear:YEA HE IS SOO CUTE:) ahhahahaha.

well i apologize if i offended anyone. apparently constructive criticisms aren't so well-received these days even if it's onyl worth 2 cents. i agree that cobus is good though, and my favorite drummer isn't exactly the most technical drummer out there either.

Yea.. Cobus is my idol too but i wouldnt say he is the best drummer i noe 0.0 i juz lyk the way he play n his styles =D

retardedrummer, u look familiar.. do you happen to study in Tanjong Katong Girls School? (TKGS) if not, then i guess its my mistake :D

Take a chill pill man. What I find groovy may not be groovy to some others.
Hey, I like my Salmon Sashimi but I don't force others to eat it too what lol.

True that Cobus is not the best drummer around. Well, the term 'best drummer' alone is highly subjective.

What interests me is how Cobus knows how to make use of the new media (internet) to carve out a career in music for himself. He understands how to make use of the internet and what interests people. It's all good if he can inspire people to play drums, in his own way, isn't it? :)

Last edited:
Yea cobus' playing style highly inspired me. and as i still suck at drum tuning ( i onli tuned 2 toms in sch before =X) i listen out to how he tune his drums to fit certain music =D

Cobus is working his instructional DVD and he is a self-taught drummer who has been playing for quite a good number of years.

Back