Closure Of Biz: J&M GUITARS

JMguitars

Hi all,

In the last 3 months, I've proceed to wind down our operations in regards to product sales.

Last week, I wrote to the last manufacturer thanking them for their support and explaining my decision to end the business.

Managing J&M has been a great experience for me. Its been a fun and rewarding 5-8 years but now I'm calling it quits 'cause advances in my career leave little time to even part-time manage the business.

I've spoken to a couple of people who are in the retail biz about taking on some of my brands so perhaps, in the near future, you can still have a Singapore contact point for orders.

Given that Soft forumites have been clients or interested enquiriers, I'd like to express my sincere thanks for making this a great experience.

Peace.

Mark Lange
J&M Guitars

Hi Mark,

So sorry to hear of your departure from the business world, it's really tough and those of us who are still in it understand the sweat and grind to bringing products to the people. Hope you will still hang around and maybe moonlight a bit with some of us too.

Boutique products in Singapore is even more harder, with the presense of internet info and price reference, and also market geographical demograph. The general observation I have is that, about boutique products is that people here have unrealistic expectation on these products and the dealer. Also price expectation is exactly opposite of what a boutique product is meant to be priced at.

Seems that branded and cheapo products are still the mainstay over here.

Do chat up sometime when you are free and any small projects you are interested in we can discuss too.

Regards,
mikemann

sorry to hear that Mark, thanks for your efforts of the last few years. Good luck in the future

All the best man. You guys were much appreciated in the local music community. Have you guys found anyone to take over THD dealership?

all the best for the future! my best regards to you, though we have not met! but being all SOFTies here, we do have a certain comradeship, ya? 8)

All the best! You'll never know what can come out of this. And more often than not, it can be a blessing. But continue posting here.:)

Many thanks to all who posted with well wishes.

The Singapore music community is a small one so I'm sure I'll still be involved one way or another; not in retail sales but perhaps if I can make time in the future, I'll organise Singapore versions of Tonefest events.

Tonefest is a big "if" and I've been talking about doing it since a few years back but never got down to it.

In any case, you'll still find me here posting on SOFT.

ps - Lifehouse: in regards to THD, I have been speaking to another retailer about possibly doing, as with the case of Eminence Audio and Rocktron pdts. I cant speak on behalf of the retailers I spoek to in respect of whether they decide to continue with these brands but if they do, I'm sure they'll announce it in SOFT.

Hi,

Would you care to share your experiences when you were setting up and running JM guitars? It would be an eye opener for some of us :)

yeah, i think that tt may help some of us here to get a good view and to make us aware, and to understand better the pricing decisions that shops make, etc. yupz... =)

thanks for everything bro, hope you do well in your future endeavours! =)

it is sad that we have less choice

but i will be bad guy....and say maybe it is you (Mikemann) that have unrealistic expectation in today's market. This just my twisted view so don't take it personal.....

Also price expectation is exactly opposite of what a boutique product is meant to be priced at.

Buyer 99% always want the cheaper product. If I can find same thing cheaper in US or ebay why do I pay more to you for? Too many time boutique or even regular shop won't let you try it out and act like snob you-can't-get-it-anywhere-but-here-so-I-don't-have-to-nice-you. (I am not saying you cause I have never dealt with you but I am sure we have all been to local shops act like that).

I think most of us here have bought from overseas so you know we all considered the risks, the cost of shipping and customs, etc but still do it because we get what we want at better price. I know 3 guys with nice expensive PRS guitars and all imported from US. I haven't bought a pickup in Singapore for years.

Maybe in small population like Singapore it makes sense not to be in the business? Sad but that's global competition and the internet for you.

Same goes for effects. I get most of my stuff directly from manufacturers. Cheaper, at times, more variety. People such as Analog "Mike" Man, Robert Keeley or Bob Mcbroom (PedalworX) offers very good modifications that I don't think can be matched easily.

But my opinion with local home based luthiers and retailers are normally honest, responsive and very helpful. They stand by their products/services.

Back