can One Cab work for All heads?will it work?

Kimmi

Hey guys,

May I ask, i'm planning to head into amps and thinking,can i buy a 4x12 cab and switch it out for celestions speakers and then just remain to that one cab and buy different heads.Will that work?

I'm considering to go for either 4 greenback,4 blue or 4 vintage 30.

maybe no, but I'm not very sure about it since I'm no techie.

What i know is each head requires certain resistant (e.g. 2 ohm, 4 ohm) for the cab. I don't know the impact if you plug a head into a cab that is not matched what it need.

Last edited:
yea, i heard about the Ohm part so definitely confuse.

I know tt would be easier to just get the matching cab to head ...just wanted to save space..so get a cab and switch out the speakers and then change around the heads.

thanks rhizopus

you don't have to get a matching cab for it to work. most cabinets are stock 8ohms if they're 4x12". what you want to do is to keep changing heads while using the same cabinet right? as long as the head has an 8ohm output, which it should definitely have, you can do it without any problems.

you don't have to get a matching cab for it to work. most cabinets are stock 8ohms if they're 4x12". what you want to do is to keep changing heads while using the same cabinet right? as long as the head has an 8ohm output, which it should definitely have, you can do it without any problems.

spot on dude!.....yea...so even if i switch out the stock speakers,the ohms won't be affected right?

just make sure you get the same impedance as the stock ones, otherwise the resistance will definitely change. which cabinet are you planning to get? Greenbacks come in various ratings so you should look out for that.

currently saving up for the cabs..but definitely a 4x12 but still a long way from getting the head...haha..

however,I'm thinking since i'm switching out the stock speakers for celestions,i don;t need to get too expensives cabs.right?

I saw a marshall cab going for 900 at davis i think or should i just settle for any cheap 4x12 cab.would it make a difference?

it'd definitely make a sonic difference, but some differences are exaggerated. try to go for a marine birch plywood one if you can. currently i'm using a 1960AX which is preloaded with G12s and it sounds great.

woah "marine birch plywood "..haha..something new i learn.

a marshall 1960AX cab and the GH12s are greenback rite? or century vintage?

woah....it really isn't as easy as I tot it would be...so many things to learn..hahaa

Thanks jskadiang!

The main diff between the more expensive cabs and the cheap ones (aside from speakers) is the materials used to construct.

The cabinet construction and materials will play a big part in the sound of the cab.
Some cheap cabs may have certain frequencies boosted by the vibration of the wood etc.

If you buy a good cab like a marshall 1960 then the cab construction will be good. The stock speakers are also decent.

If you want to experiment then I suggest read up a lot before you invest. see what speakers your guitar heroes use etc.

Some folks recommend mixing speaker types in a 4 x 12 to get best of both world type of tone. you could go for a left right configuration or an x configuration depending on if you want to get a more stereo sound or a blend of the two speakers.

But do note also that unless you plan to cart your whole rig around for shows it might be better to invest in heads/ guitars rather than pimping your cab. They are the more portable pieces and you always plug into the venues cab if available. which is way more practical

no problem man. it's all terminology that you don't really need to know i guess. :) in simplified terms, you get what you pay for. don't skimp on the cab if you're going to be running expensive heads through. but also on the other hand don't be too wary of good deals. the 1960s are popular for a good reason. the 1960AX is loaded with 25W greenbacks.

to answer your original question, yes one cabinet will work with virtually any head you buy. :)

haha 'someone',that mixing part is super tempting idea ah..best of both world in one cab.haha..nice..

nah,i'm not planning to cart my rig to a gig.Thats like for the real professionals or touring musician..haha playing gigs here in singapore and carting my rig would be wierd.I've not seen anyone cart their personal rig to a gig before.It would be awesome though.

haha,i guess if have a chance of playing a gig,i'll probably use what they supply. I'm kind of planning this to have fun at home.the thought of playing with variety of different amps heads is such a dream.Thus i'm planning to have a good cab to save cost and space.

thanks someone!

yea jskadiang,"don't skimp on the cab if you're going to be running expensive heads through",kind of running of that principal.just trying to learn more and have some knowledge before commiting myself to it.

Thanks man for all the help..nice...

ever thought of getting a pair of 2x12 instead ?
easier to move around.
and if you dun use in stereo ( another advantage )
you can have different speakers in each cab = more variety

haha rat boy ur idea sounds really good.the whole stereo concept does sound cool and the fact its more portable is another plus too..

i'm not really relying on all 4 speakers for the sound.Just love the look of a 4x12. however,2 2x12 can cover that "look" i'm looking for and when i'm playing,i can just hook up one 2x12 and the other 2x12 can just be a dummy if i'm only running on one head.

but what is the ohm of a 2x12?like Jskadiang said one cab works with virtually all head but i'm basing it on that a cab means a 4x12.so would 2x12 work with virtually any head?

haha..i'm basing on convinience when searching for heads to pair up with it.

Back