Can an SM58 be used as a guitar amp mike?

seekz

I heard from somewhere before that the SM58 and SM57 are essentially the same. And that the difference is mostly cosmetic.

Is that true?

And more so, I would like to know if I can record guitar amps with an SM58

hey i own both sm 57 and 58. and what i can say is that the sm57 requires more gain than the sm 58. though sm 57 is famous for miking drums and amplifier, i somethimes(just for fun) use the sm 58 to record guitars too. the sm 58 (if position closely) can give added bass reponse so it'll be quite interesting if u want to get a more fatter sound.

anyway, thats just my opinion, but wat i can say is, just experiment with which ever mics u have, place them at different angles or combine both together, each at different distance away from the amp. u can get a more ambient(not sure if i spelt it correctly) feel to ur guitars.

i prefer the closed mike angled/edge of the cone sound
center of the cone is so piercing and shrill...

I have a second Large Diagphram mike, how far and how should I face it
when I record to get more ambience?

LoL, I'm trying to record demos for my pedal,
been getting too many requests for them

Perfectly fine. If you take the windscreen of the top of a 58, you basically have a 57 without its own windscreen. There is hardly any difference between the two. The 58 does have more perceived bass, most probably because the mids are a wee bit more even than the 57.

Back