Brian Blade?

a bit (b)late

Yeah recently got into him after hearing him on Dave Matthews solo album i think... His shuffle is grooving boy on the so damn lucky track.

The drummer playing for Dave Matthews is his brother, Brady Blade.

Brian Blade plays for Joshua Redman, Wayne Shorter and leads his own group called Brian Blade Fellowship.

I'm a Brian Blade fan! :) 1st saw his fine musical drumming talent when he played for Joni Mitchell. You can watch it on the Joni Mitchell live dvd "Painting with Words"

I like Brian Blade too! Nice playing on the Josh Redman Elastic Band rendition of 'Summertime' from drummerworld.com. Too bad he didn't come down for the Josh Redman concert @ the Esplanade last year.

Just a small correction on the Summertime. This tune wasn't played by the Elastic Band. I believe this was done many years back before the conception of the Joshua Redman Elastic Band.

I believe it could be from any album by Brad Mehldau instead. Nonetheless, Brain Blade was magical on this tune. You should also check him out on Wayne Shorter's album "Footprints Live!" He complements Wayne Shorter very well..

Wow Brian Blade fans here! Nice nice! So who are the drummers among you guys here? Lemme noe cos I'm always keen to play and make music with new rhythmic talents. Send me a hands up ya. :)

BebopIggy said:
The drummer playing for Dave Matthews is his brother, Brady Blade.

Brian Blade plays for Joshua Redman, Wayne Shorter and leads his own group called Brian Blade Fellowship.

hm i thought it was carter beauford?

Wayne Shorter Quartet - Atlantis
Live at the Jazz a Vienne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEYetAyL5HU

I think he's using a 60's or 70's Sonor kit. That LSR crashes real nice under his touch!

Joshua Redman - Headin' Home
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6h6gBrBuTLc

Solo on Jazz Crimes
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8VdtC9WhnCg&mode=related&search=
I reckon that's a Silver Sparkle Roundbadge kit?

From what I gather from around the net, his main hats during the Redman years were a pair of 16" old A's, a mis-matched pair that he bought in a pawn shop. I've seen clips of him recently, and it looks like he may still be using these, but I've heard others say he may be using some 15's now.

His main ride is almost always a 24" old A. Now it is cracked and has some crazy repair with bolts and whatnot, but it still sounds great.
On his far right is usually a K con Light with rivets

CIMG0308.jpg

His LSR, either an 18 or 20 old K, lately a 22 TW spizz on his left.
CIMG0311.jpg

Someone saw him recently with mostly new Zildjians, so it is safe to say he is not opposed to switching things up.

coool didn't know it was brian blade on footprints, he's gd! dun really dig brady though thought he's playing on the dave matthews solo album was rather flat. but hey carter beauford is a monster. was brian the one tht played with seal?

blurred said:
coool didn't know it was brian blade on footprints, he's gd! dun really dig brady though thought he's playing on the dave matthews solo album was rather flat. but hey carter beauford is a monster. was brian the one tht played with seal?
i think thats the main objective of Dave hired Brady for. To keep the drum part of his song as minimal as he (dave) can because everybody knows how busy Carter play in DMB's song.

yah ur probably right. beauford can be real busy like a bee. i still didn't really dig brady blade's playing on tht record though. beauford i find accentuated and sets up the accents and grooves almost like a big band drummer. blade tends to play through them which i'm not too fond of, might be the production style but still....

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Blade played with Seal along the way but for a long time now it's been the Japanese super sessionist Drummer Gota.

Brian Blade was drumming for Joni Mitchell in the quite recent live dvd "Painting with Words". That was actually the 1st time I saw and heard Brian Blade and it occurred to me that drumming with deft technique and dynamics is more challenging in an acoustic setting which Brian excels in. :)

blurred said:

Back