Beginner questions on bass (again!)

lexxmexx

Okok, I know questions like these had been asked many many times before and I had also did searches for info here but the more I see, the more confused I get. Hope some kind souls can help me here.

I am a total beginner on string instruments and I am thinking of picking up the bass. It seems like many people had recommended the BB414 here. What's the difference between this and the BB614 besides the price? Are they P or J style?
Also, how is the RBX374 compared to the BB414?

I am intending for this bass to go a long way so student models are out. The music I am interested in playing are jazz, fusion, pop and rock (almost everything liao), so flexibility is another consideration. Most people said that 4 strings are best for beginners but based on your playing experiences, is there an absolute need for the 5th string? Have you ever "kena" situations where you compromised your playing because you are short of the 5th string?

I particularly like the looks of those basses that have rather small bodies with natural wood finishing. What models are they? Does Yamaha have them? Are they expensive?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey there, the Yamaha BB414 is a good choice because of its versatility with its P n J pickup configurations. the BB 614 is just the active version of the 414 with an tweakable 3-band onboard eq. It's entirely up to you to choose which sound or feel you prefer so like anybody else would say: try both.

As for the choice of 4/5 strings, i personally felt the need to go low after having owned two 4 stringed basses. but then again some people never need to, or prefer the feel of a 4 string bass. given that you intend to play all sorts of genres i'd suggest a 5 string, but only if you have some background knowledge of bass.

some people might argue with me on this but if you are an absolute beginner i'd rather you go 4 string. as learning fundamentals like techniques is very very important before you move up a string. Nobody but yourself can mak the decisions.

I particularly like the looks of those basses that have rather small bodies with natural wood finishing. What models are they? Does Yamaha have them? Are they expensive?

Yamaha had some older (BB series?) that had natural wood finishes. They used to cost about 1k if i'm not mistaken. If you like REAL natural wood finishing, check out:

Warwick Basses Amps & Rock&Roll

yes they are expensive but worth it. Swee Lee has some in stock and sales goes really slow. some models have been sitting there for 6-8 years!

If your budget is tight try the Rockbass by Warwick series. It's a sub-brand of Warwick (like how squier is to fender) and offers models that have top-notch quality and fantastic sound, even though made in China! I own one myself and i can tell you it's a whole lot better made than my mexican fender, or other China-made instruments for that matter!

Hope i've been helpful. :D Out.

the BB414 is a great choice. Try it out together with the RBX374 to hear the difference.

the smaller body one you're referring the to the Yamaha SG-B? That's a really good one as well, but more expensive than the BB414.

Thanks bros for the great advice.

Wow, seems like the smaller body ones are more expensive. The Warwicks are way too expensive given that I am a noob and don't know how far I will go. It might also be an overkill for me since the bass will be my secondary instrument. I truly understand that I must try them out to see the difference for myself but I don't know if I can really tell the difference since I have no idea on what to look out for...haha. I want to keep this a secret from my bassist friends for now so cannot ask them to help me try out.

Anyway, I have decided on the BB414 already. Any ideas on what amps to get? I need an inexpensive one that is small and decent. Actually thought of getting the Pevey Microbass but read from some of the feedbacks here that it is not that good.

Thanks again, bros!

the ibanez soundwave range are really bang for the buck. great value

i want warwick too. but no money and no skill

Hey bro,

I own a rbx374... Its been really ups n downs... I its the thing wif active basses sometimes.. Too much options with the EQ controls that it really screws u up haha...
Compared to the BB614(my fren owns 1), the rbx has a smaller body i guess... Its dual humbuckers i think if not wrong(do correct me fellow softies)... N 614 being P/J style pickups...

I'm not at a stage where my ear is so atuned to being able 2 differentiate low notes that well... But i wld say its about preference bah... What i usually do is EQ my rbx374 to not sound too overly muddy by cutting the mids n boosting the treble a little... No idea how a bass shld sound in jazz,rock. But i usually play pop, rock n christian stuff...

Its a good beginner's bass that will last sometime i guess.. I'm juz looking for other options...
So if its not 2 late 2 deter u haha... my RBX374 is up for sale:

http://soft.com.sg/forum/bass-buy-sell/48849-wts-yamaha-4string-bass-rbx374.html

Get BB414. Start with 4 strings first. Build a stable foundation then move to 5 or 6 strings. Many tried 4 to 5 to 6 but finally back to 4 again. Its is said that 4 strings BAss are Bassist best friend. lol.

Get BB414. Start with 4 strings first. Build a stable foundation then move to 5 or 6 strings. Many tried 4 to 5 to 6 but finally back to 4 again. Its is said that 4 strings BAss are Bassist best friend. lol.

I am intending for this bass to go a long way so student models are out. The music I am interested in playing are jazz, fusion, pop and rock (almost everything liao), so flexibility is another consideration. Most people said that 4 strings are best for beginners but based on your playing experiences, is there an absolute need for the 5th string? Have you ever "kena" situations where you compromised your playing because you are short of the 5th string?

Thanks in advance

i started out bass a few months back, thinking 'yeah i'm a beginner, four strings would do', so i went ahead and got myself the RBX-374. utterly loved it, but the music i was interested in playing ended up requiring a 5th string. i tried to compromise for awhile but in the end, i bought the RBX-375 a couple of weeks back. so i'd say go ahead and get a 5-string if your preferred genre/genres require it!

now for trivialities, i sold my 4-string to my dad. he always borrows my bass but now he says he's proud to own one too!

The BB414 is a great buy. If I could have 1 and only 1 bass under $600, that'd be it.

If you need to get a practice amp, just get the cheapest you can find. Forget about spending more if you're never going to take it out to gig with. Alternatively, you can get a headphone amp like a Korg Pandora.

Great idea, I didn't know that there are such things as headphone amps. Can share some more on how much they cost and where can I get them?

you don't need a pandora to use as a headphone amp, you can plug in a 1/8" adapter to the 'out' of a digital effects processor like a korg or line6 multifx and it is still effective

alternatively there are alot of el cheapo bass headphone amps selling in the US that costs like less than 50 USD. how you bring it here is another matter :)

just fyi i think yamaha basses have increased in price lately. BBs and RBXs are hitting 700and up. ouch.

which is why i consider myself insanely fortunate to have gotten my rbx at the sale a month back. hahaha.

yeah my dad rocks! he jams at home more than i do, lol.

Back