BASS bass Bass!!!

Jayshen

Someone please please tell me how to improve my bass

i hav been playing bass tabs... but i dun feel it man... still cannot hav the power when just open jamming with my friends.... any books or Cds or magic words to recommand

but 2 mi, fingering exerises r different lor.......

i usually spent abt 1/2 hr 4 fingering ex be4 i pratise any songs lor.....

becos ex, i get 2 feel some of the notes which some songs i dun even have the chance 2 play lor......

but most important is 2 have fun, man.....

:twisted:

iansoh said:
u need to learn improvisation. reading tabs won't teach u that much.

true, untill when u will read tab, try to learn scale and do some fingering excercise to make ur left hand's finger strong, get some excercise for ur right hand also so u can speed well with ur right hand [3finger]

IMO the best way to improve is to get a teacher to teach u,maybe u prefer to learn from book or from video, but when u did some mistake,the book or the guy from the video wont stop and say to u 'oi!! wrong la,shouldnt do that way'...hahaha,its like u wont know which 1 is right and wrong [no offense bro] getting a teacher can put u in a right way n u can improve faster

there's this bass website www.talkbass.com which has some great tips and tricks to improve your playing.

i started playing bass in a nirvana cover band waaaay back in poly, so tabs was the only way to go. but once you listen to other stuff, you'll want to pick off little phrases that fancies you. try and listen to all kinds of music and find out what basslines is the bassist playing. slowly over time you'll have a database of those basslines. then from there you can take off your own.

you also can go the theory and classical route, but i think for most guys like me. nirvana was the only way to start eh? :)

hmm..

Sorry, quite new to this forum and bass..

Is there anyway that can improve the fingering and movement of your left hand on the fret board?

I only started playing bass for less than 4 months with zero bass knowlegde nor nothing..

My bass playing was stagnant since 1985 after the army , also I did not touch my bass for 20 yrs. I started playing the guitar again last dec, I learn to do some lead guitar, learn the different scales and after a few months I can do some solo and improvisation. I found that my bass playing has improved a lot too in terms bass runs and improvisation.

You need to know more music theory in order to improvise and do bass run , learning tabs will not help you , anyway most of the tabs on the net are not correct . I still prefer to use my ears to get the notes for any song, I think it is important to know the chords structure for any song in order to do your bass run . Don't limit yourself to one genre of music , listen to differnt genre of music, jazz and funk gives you the best grooves.

I grew up in the disco era , lots of great bass groove from that era and I think groove is something you have to feel for yourself , can't be taught by someone.

cheers
purplehaze3691

Jayshen said:
Someone please please tell me how to improve my bass

i hav been playing bass tabs... but i dun feel it man... still cannot hav the power when just open jamming with my friends.... any books or Cds or magic words to recommand

Great way to get better is to ditch tabs altogether. First and foremost, learn some basic scales and practice them all over the fretboard. It'll help you understand what to play in what key.

Next thing to do, is to learn everything by ear, as far as possible. It'll train your ear, and it'll help your groove, as you listen out for different things, and try to cop the feel.

Next is to listen to your drummer. Whatever you do, whether you play more or less, is to follow the kick drum. Not necessarily the kick note for note, but the timing of the kick. It'll pay off not to overplay too. The best bassists know when to follow the kick, and when not to.

Most of all, keep and open ear to all kinds of music. It'll give you better insight as to how the bass interacts with the drums and the other instruments, and how some styles of playing or certain notes can invoke certain feels.

Back