Art Students in JC

Hello! I think we're classmates considering your combination of H2 Eng lit, H2 History and H2 Economics with H1 Math. 3808 right? And I'm in ajc also. hahaha. okay, quite freaky..

Damn, I'm from 38/08! We are classmates! Who are you? And I seriously do not like the school.

Erh, anyway I solely want to be a politician. It's my dream to crush the current system. Although it's working, the flaws are so obvious.

I won't want to keep my mouth shut until the day I realize PAP isn't in power. It just isn't me to do so.

And oh, did anyone read the A Levels report on Home? I felt a little ****ed up after reading it. Cos they were talking about ACJC's approach to the freedom of subject combinations.

Last edited:
I'm a girl who has fallen off a rambutan tree before.
Who are you? hahahahahaha.

yay fellow softie!

Anyway, what to do man. For me I'm staying in ajc either way, will work hard but play harder. Coming to ajc was like a rude shock! I will never forget the time part of the shelter collapsed. What a classic. Luckily no one got hurt. Just waiting for some other portion of the school to collapse. I find it all really, really, really sad and quite funny also.

hahaha, but then again, I'm amused easily. :lol:

Last edited:
WAH LAO EH,
haha your kinda screwed man, Im glad my time in JC is over, I took econs geog and lit. Thats a real arts combi if you ask me. I cant do maths for nuts. Cant imagine studying in JC now, hahah.

here's an analogy.

imagine you are a woman (or a man, feminists don't shoot me please), and employers are suitors.

your qualifications are like your looks and your body, and
your abilities, skills, work ethic, etc are your personality.

at the end of the day, employers want a skilled, enthusiastic, hard worker who takes his work seriously and can do his job well, much like how men want a wife who is loving, can tolerate their nonsense, etc.

BUT,

first impressions do count, and just like how men will always first look at the big tits and tight arse, employers will always look at the qualifications first.

But whether they choose you, and whether they STICK with you, in the long run, depends on how you perform.

so a few points here:

1) at the end of the day, your performance matters the most
2) however, people are superficial, and it always helps to have nice certificates/tits to get you through the door
3) but you better have substance to back it up

I'm a girl who has fallen off a rambutan tree before.
Who are you? hahahahahaha.

Eh, I can't remember who are you. I'm the one who doesn't listen to pop at all...

And I solely believe certificates are not everything... Although it's a good thing to have them behind you...

i think the threadstarter feels unfair becoz science students appear to study wht they wanna, while arts students do not. it only appears, but who knows, science students also think that arts students appear to study wht they wanna study, while science students do not. for eg, i knew of a friend who wanna do chem, phy, econ and hist, but then the jc requirement was that math was a must for my school then.

anyway, i feel that maths is like freaking impt. firstly, most courses in uni, local or overseas, require some sort of pass in maths at either 'o' or 'a' level. secondly, i think it is the most relevant and common thing u see in ur everyday life, especially when u r beginning to earn ur own income. thirdly, somehow, i realise this trend that pple who do well in maths, seem to do better in alot of other things as well, even arts subjects. eg, most of my friends who r pro in music (music is an art subject), r much more pro than me in math.

i just feel that it is very difficult to evade maths totally in everyday life, so even if u hate it, y dun u try to embrace it? u may not do superbly well in maths, but at least, by learning to conquer and accept something u complain, rant and hate so much, itself is an accomplishment. the process of trying to overcome ur hatred or rejection for it is a kind of intrinsic and intangible development in urself, that may one day propel u to succes.

anyway, at the back of my mind, i do feel the same as the threadstarter. sometimes i feel bekchek (dun know how to spell frustrated in hokkian) abt the education system. not that it is bad, but i feel it can be better. nowadays, jc students have to take a combo of arts and science, my jc days gotta no such things. if i were to do jc now, i think i will flung it coz i totally sux at arts subject.

dude, trust me, u would want to take maths. u'll need it, or cant go anywhere.

and econs is easier than geog. trust me man, been there done that. maths is a guaranteed A for most students, and econs isnt that hard to score than geog and much less to study.

btw, econs isnt science. when u come to real exams, it's definitely arts. all those graphs and formulas are just useful to support ur argument. the real part comes from writing ur stand and supporting it.

i think the threadstarter feels unfair becoz science students appear to study wht they wanna, while arts students do not. it only appears, but who knows, science students also think that arts students appear to study wht they wanna study, while science students do not. for eg, i knew of a friend who wanna do chem, phy, econ and hist, but then the jc requirement was that math was a must for my school then.

anyway, i feel that maths is like freaking impt. firstly, most courses in uni, local or overseas, require some sort of pass in maths at either 'o' or 'a' level. secondly, i think it is the most relevant and common thing u see in ur everyday life, especially when u r beginning to earn ur own income. thirdly, somehow, i realise this trend that pple who do well in maths, seem to do better in alot of other things as well, even arts subjects. eg, most of my friends who r pro in music (music is an art subject), r much more pro than me in math.

Firstly, I disagree on the Science students only "appearing" to feel so. I have tons of friends in the Science stream and there's really a difference. Especially in my school where the darn ****ing focus is all on the Science students. I'd heard of HCI and been to PJ. They are all the same.

Secondly, I do not know if you'd read all of the posts in the thread, but Maths is NOT a pre-requisite to enter FASS in NUS. And I seriously do not see the importance of binomial expansions on my income sheet.

And anyway the approach towards Economics is more of a scientific way because they make uses of theories. Demand and supply. Price mechanism. They are all works of science. And Economics is a Science. It's Social Science just like Sociology.

Last edited:
Firstly, I disagree on the Science students only "appearing" to feel so. I have tons of friends in the Science stream and there's really a difference. Especially in my school where the darn ****ing focus is all on the Science students. I'd heard of HCI and been to PJ. They are all the same.

Secondly, I do not know if you'd read all of the posts in the thread, but Maths is NOT a pre-requisite to enter FASS in NUS. And I seriously do not see the importance of binomial expansions on my income sheet.

And anyway the approach towards Economics is more of a scientific way because they make uses of theories. Demand and supply. Price mechanism. They are all works of science. And Economics is a Science. It's Social Science just like Sociology.

wht is HCI? is it hwa chong institution? in my days, it was called hwa chong junior college.

anyway, i didnt say anything about maths being a pre-requisite to entering fass in nus. i said "most courses in uni, local or overseas, require some sort of pass in maths at either 'o' or 'a' level". i used the word "most" as opposed to "all" because i know that maths is not a pre-requisite in fass maths even w/o reading all the posts in the thread.

i think for most of us, the reason why we do maths is definitely not because we like maths, or we're gonna do a maths related course in uni, but because it is the EASIEST subject to ace(at least for most of us). As sad as it may seems the importance of maths here at the A' levels is about getting an easy A.
An additional A on your result slip ,regardless of what subject it is does give you an added advantage in pursuing any course you want.

of course there are people who will stand by their '100% pure-breed arts student' superiority complex, and ditch maths totally, in the end they're just short changing themselves of an easy A

and with regards to econs, the boundaries of economic theories and laws are not as clearly defined as the more mainstream science subjects. It is all based on human judgement and oppinions which are bound to change every now and then. Its a dynamic subject, it will continue to change through out major events in the future. Perhaps the way economics was taught in jc may be more 'science oriented' but that is not the case in uni..

wht is HCI? is it hwa chong institution? in my days, it was called hwa chong junior college.

anyway, i didnt say anything about maths being a pre-requisite to entering fass in nus. i said "most courses in uni, local or overseas, require some sort of pass in maths at either 'o' or 'a' level". i used the word "most" as opposed to "all" because i know that maths is not a pre-requisite in fass maths even w/o reading all the posts in the thread.

Yeah, HCI stands for Hwa Chong Institution. Anyway, I assume most Arts students will end up in FASS and I'm talking about Arts students here.

Unless anyone has details of students who decided to do something else?

Well, from my 3 months of H2 Economics experience, I can safely say that Economics is really quite Science-oriented in JCs. That's the reason why Science students take Economics as their contrasting subject. It's just more suitable and that's the reason why a lot of people diss Geography.

Which is pretty unfair. I think Geography is really much simpler. Pity I can't take it. It has always been my favourite subject but I want to give history another shot.

Anyway, regarding about undefined theories in Economics, as you'd mentioned, it's theories. Theories are created to give an explanation, but they may not be facts. That's why theories can change. There are many scientific theories that have changed throughout the years, most notably the one on convectional electric current. What is not scientific about theories in Economics then?

I respect Economics as a social science subject and really, it's seriously more scientific than what others think it is.

Back