Art Students in JC

empihsrow

I'm sorry guys. Although I know this has got nothing to do with music, I need a place to vent my anger and displeasure with the education system.

Calling out to all Arts students in JC, have you ever felt that your subject combination looked more like a subject combination belonging to the Science stream instead of the Arts Stream?

Well, I sure do. I'm recently enrolled in Anderson Junior College and the very first thing they asked me to do was to submit the subject combinations that I want to offer in this college.

Alright, so I tried. And the very moment I logged into the system, I knew I was screwed. All available subject combinations in AJ have H2 Econs and H2/H1 Maths. Some subject combinations even offered H2 Econs, H2 Maths and H1 Science courses. Of course, we are allowed to customize one combination in case we do not want to take up the available choices. BUT! But we can only customize one subjection choice out of three and the customization is subject to "resources and other limitations".

And so, I decided to customize my first choice of subject combination and I chose H2 Chem, H2 Hist, H2 Lit and H2 Geog. This subject combination looks more like an Arts subject combination than any other combinations that I can apply for.

And screw, I looked at the temporary lecture schedules for the next two weeks and I know my customized subject combination has failed(Well, cos they're holding H2 Geog and H2 Hist lectures at the very same time!). I'm forced to take up Econs and Maths now.

And you know something... If you're to ask me if Econs is an Arts subject. I will tell you: "No, it's FREAKING not!" Econs, in a sense, is more of a Science subject because science refers to a system of acquiring knowledge based on the scientific method, as well as to the organized body of knowledge gained through such research. And yes, Econs do belong to a section of science known as Social Sciences. I was in PJ during PAE and I have gone through Econs lecture and hell, the demand and supply curve sure looks like Maths and Science to me. The PPC curve sure does look very scientific too.

And I have to admit, I hate Maths since I was young. I find it boring and irritating. Like how do integration and differentiation affect my English Literature or my History papers? AND DAMN, I HAVE TO TAKE MATHS FOR ANOTHER 2 MORE YEARS AND EVEN SIT AN A LEVEL PAPER FOR IT.

Why am I an Arts student then? I might as well go to the Science stream and apply for the courses available there! And mind you, there is a greater flexibility in the Science subject combinations than the Arts subject combinations!

NOW WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

Why aren't Art students given the same advantage that Science students get? Why do Science students get to do whatever they want(Since there are only 3 Science courses available?) while the Arts student are unable to enjoy the same share of flexibility in our studies? Can the MOE tell us what are they doing with the Arts stream?

For hell's sake, Arts students are not Science students. We might be the minority but you cannot forsake the minority just to attend to the majority. We have our own needs and rights too. You cannot deny us the right to enjoy our freedom of choices just because all resources are allocated to the majority! This is UNFAIR.

And what has the government been doing with all their money? Investing in more Science courses? Investing in more Science programmes? Investing in... An education system that is more favourable towards the Science students?

This education system does not walk the talk. I'm facing the reality of it right now and so much for all the shit about "holistic development", "greater flexibility", "more freedom".

It's all about: "We shall only offer the best for the Science students!"

I AM PISSED AND I WANT TO BOYCOTT MY SCHOOL AND THE EDUCATION SYSTEM. I cannot believe that even in JCs, we are still under such tight reins.

Arts students, I'm sure you have felt the same too. Do something about it. Stop the Science students from getting their way!

Last edited:
F**k it. It's not the teachers' problem.

It's the system's policies with science, science, science and science.

That's pretty sad but why are you ranting there? Go rant to your CT or your principal of the HODs or something. And bear in mind that every student has to take a contrasting subject. I'm in arts too. Give the school a break la, they cannot please everyone. Most contrasting subjects an arts student would take is maths(cause a lot of uni courses need it).

Why do you feel that the science students are getting their way? I'm sure some of them cannot take the subject combination of their choice too.

If you do not want to take maths, go talk to the school admin I'm sure they will think of something for you. But you still need a contrasting subject, right. My suggestion is take ki, you get to learn a lot and its really more of an arts subject than a science subject.

hahaha this debate will go on forever trust me. haha. more jcs are opening up to the fact that certain science students will want to take certain arts subjects and vice versa. but there has always been this implication that students in the arts streams were weak in their sciences so the option for arts students to take certain science subs has always been very limited, if there were any at all.

but think about it subjects are not always either pure science and pure arts. like music, you cant always put a finger on something and say, "this is pure arts" or "this is pure rock, no jazz just 100% rock.". the edu system is trying to bridge the gap between the "science stream" and the "arts stream" and by that, the introduction of more in-between subs - the social sciences. econs is one good example of it. the thing about econs is it is a humanities subject in the sense that it, well studies the inner workings of humanity through econs markets, but in a qualitative and quantative methods - like how those science kids do their thang.

i hated lit, i hated maths. but i loved econs. its making the most of our arts its not a matter of science students getting their way really, its a matter of the gap being bridged. give it some time, and im sure they'll rid the arts-science stream thing and come up with a very flexible system.

well, maybe in aj there is a limited subject combination.
just do your best, im sure you'll get the hang of it after sometime.
besides, maths is argubly the easiest to score in.

non mihi solum!!

Man, they really do have greater flexibility in the science courses... Of course they have to take a contrasting subject but nonetheless science students can get to choose while arts students really can't[It was the same in PJ too].

Econs and Maths are in every possible combination they offer for Arts students and it's really sad. Because I rightly believe that the school should not coerce students into doing what they don't want to do and Econs, in a wider sense, isn't an Arts subject compared to other subjects like History, Literature or Music.

It's an experience that a lot Science students do not understand because they do not understand our point of view and neither have they lived through such a thing. And really, I can't live with my subject combination. I do not like to study what I hate studying. It's a waste of my time in school doing so and it's a waste of the teacher's breath too.

And anyway... Poly has little humanities courses... The few which I could think of are Theatre Drama and Psychology. And I'm not really interested in them.

Last edited:
Most contrasting subjects an arts student would take is maths(cause a lot of uni courses need it)..

It's not true. In FASS, maths is not a pre-requisite for most subjects. I think only Psychology and Sociology require a good pass in O Levels A Maths.

im in ijc and they have like 32 different subject combinations. i got into sci stream for jae. but when they asked me to select my subject combo, i chose H2 maths, hist and econs ... and h1 physics. which is basically an arts combo. so its not so bad.

Hmm... I thought Econs and Math is kinda 'compulsory' regardless whether you are Science or Art stream?

Thats what I got when my JAE posting was to PJC. I transferred out to poly immediately of course. :D

I said most!! Well if your jc cannot afford to give so many options to the arts students, its a sad but true fact you've got to acknowledge. if you cannot study what you hate, then dont study and fail.

I'm taking econs and maths too and i hate them but well i must admit that they are useful. I do know people in my school who do not take maths or econs and they are in the arts stream. Have you tried appealing to the school?

seriously, it matters less WHAT you take then HOW WELL you do for it. in the end u go uni, the only thing you can take with you is maths

so just enjoy the supposedly 'better' babes in arts

and nothing wrong with poly either, alot of poly students make it to unis. it only matters how good you are

Back