annoying gig photographers

recklessnick

i know they're just doing their jobs and stuff but does anyone else get really annoyed when like 10-20 photographers stand in front of the band on stage and start taking pictures like last night's show at youth park? and it gets even better when they all turn around and start paying more attention to the pit dancers. i went to watch the band, not photographers

lol. u mean ytd's hardcore gig?

i guess they were annoying at times. but they add to the atmosphere with the camera flashes flashing around. lol.

I wouldn't mind them, IF THEY POSTED THESE PICTURES ONLINE TO PROMOTE THE LOCAL MUSIC SCENE!!!

Now, after taking like 1 GB of damn bloody pics, where do these photos go? their personal harddisk? I'd say its a waste of effort and the inconvenience caused to others is not worth it...

Singaporean's loves to complain. Heres one. sigh...

When theres no photographer, says no exposure.
Whens theres a lot , says annoying.. AIYO!!!!!

In any case, photographers are doing for the sake of hobby. But some are doing for the local scenes. Of cause they will only choose the best to publish it. Cause not all photo taken are not that nice :)

Kudos to all the photographers who took photos for gigs and bands.!!

i am a photog (not a professional one though) and i often shoot at gigs. i try my very best not to flash and i don't ever turn the camera on the crowd. i try to keep out of the way and stay low; i understand what it feels to try to have a good time but people just keep getting in the way. however, i think photogs on stage may potentially be pretty irritating if they're there most of the set. most of the time at bigger gigs, there's a photog pit cordoned off for the photographers so they don't get in the way.

and for all those who wonder where the work goes, please note plagiarism is a big (and freaking annoying) problem most photogs face. sure we'd like to share our photos, but people do steal them without crediting. this happens ALL THE TIME. if you put your name in a certain part of the picture, it just gets cropped out. watermarks just kinda screw photos up somehow. so when you put a photo up online, a week later you see people blogging about a band with your photos and when you tell them nicely to credit you or take the photos off, they just say you're being "an@l" or "cheap" or "irritating". oh and another thing. most people who shoot at gigs shoot for free. i am into photography as a hobby(in other words, i don't get paid for shooting bands), but i shoot bands so that people have something to remember from gigs they go to, and yes, to help with exposure(although not much help there). so please understand we're wasting effort. come on. we don't mind sharing, but the least you could do would be to acknowledge the effort and not just dismiss us as a "waste of effort".

anyway, just so you don't think all photogs are jacka5ses who don't share their work,
Flickr: Photos from eugene oh

my shots are pretty crappy. like i said, i'm no pro. but if you intend to use them, please email me first at apothecary_92@hotmail.com. thanks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind them, IF THEY POSTED THESE PICTURES ONLINE TO PROMOTE THE LOCAL MUSIC SCENE!!!

Now, after taking like 1 GB of damn bloody pics, where do these photos go? their personal harddisk? I'd say its a waste of effort and the inconvenience caused to others is not worth it...

It matters so much what they do with them? they must answer to us? Unless the photographers really cause that much inconvenience, but i agree that if theyre too many photoggers, can go blind if they flash too much..However, I admire their passion to capture the action and spirit of the gig and the performers.

Let them enjoy their work whether its a hobby or professional, they cant shoot birds and plants all the time. From these work experiences im certain they share it with fellow photographers on local forums to help everyone improve, just like we are doing here on soft, well some of us.

Im okay with the photographers, as long as they dont have like 20 flashing our eyes, wow thats alot, unheard of.

Last edited:
=biopromax

singaporeans also like to complain about how typical singaporeans are and how they like to complain. you do know you are a singaporean too?

you wouldn't know if you weren't at the show yesterday, there was practically a horizontal line of photographers standing in front of the band when overthrown was playing yesterday and facing the crowd snapping photos of the mosh pit.

Last edited:
So now, its a matter of being afraid people might use one's pictures he took of a band without his permission?

Does he, in the first place, ask the band, whether he is allowed to take pictures of them?

Are the works so professional such that people ripping it off without giving credit to the photographer = breaking his rice bowl?

I also take pictures and live footage of bands during shows. I'll try my best to upload the good ones on facebook ,friendster, youtube and whatever means I can and I'll definately pass these to the band I took pictures of if I knew any of their members personally.

The agenda here is simple. The local music scene is already so gimped. What we need is to flood the internet and media with visual images that depict a healthy and fun local music scene. This visual way might be as efficient, if not more, than an aural means of promotion, eg myspace/radio etc.

my view as a photographer, i guess all of us in the front would always want to get the best picture.

but perhaps, yeay maybe next time all gig photographers should showcase their photo in the forum.

at least there are people who bother to come down to these shows to take pics for the bands.... and abt them not posting the pics online, im sure if you guys as bands/audience ask them nicely after the show of where they upload their pics, im sure they will give cause im sure most of them wanna show their work.

personal opinion in hand...

since when did photography and the local scene became husband and wife.

let them (photog) do what they want. even if they dun ask the bands for permission, tell me how many bands can u find who wouldnt want they're damn faces appearing on pics on the net showcasing they're worth as a band. and mind you guys, plagiarism is a big issue, regardless if the photog is a pro or just an amatuer.

please.
you wanna help the local scene, stop bitching about every damn little thing.

Actually, photographers or videographers should be more considerate to the surrounding.

My work involve shooting video for HK/TW pop artistes. Most of the time, I will be in front of the crowd, within the barricade. But I try my best to squat down and not block the audience behind. Maybe once in a while I will need to move or stand up to take some shots of the crowds but it will be fast.

Was shooting a press conference the other day. Arrived early and set up my camera at the back of the room behind the last seat. Subsequently, other camera crew arrive and setup along side. Normal practise.

Then, this guy from a local website (not stomp, must state first else ) came and put his camera RIGHT IN FRONT of the stage, blocking everybody! Haizz...

my opinion in this is that,

for the bands, you guys should just simply appreciate ppl who are willing to commit their time (even though they got nothing better to do in life at that point of time) to take photos/videos of you. and then put it up on their deviantart/photo website/youtube and let you know and your fans know about it so they can check it out. and yes indeed, lighting @ gigs is expensive, they do chip in in the "rockstar stage" effect with all those flashes.

however , photographers i feel shouldn't block the audience's view for more than 10 seconds to get a good shot. I used to film gigs I do feel bad blocking audience sometimes (being 6 feet) , but 1) it's as easy as "shifting aside and stand infront of me if you're shorter" 2) you're not even supporting the band by standing up and going forth. so why complain? 3) at baybeats, there're times the petite girls usually watch my cam (I flip the LCD screen for them) if the crowd is too heavy to be infront and there're too many damn tall kids (i don't know what you freaks eat nowadays) blocking them.

so the question is who is irritating?
gig photographers go
1) snap happy and blocks everyone's view without consideration.
2) brings home gigabytes (400) of photos , keeps/photoshop only 10.
3) doesn't even put up online or send to the band.
4) puts up online , shows the photoblog friends but doesn't inform the band (is it that hard to send a myspace msg or put up on forum just so you got more ppl appreciating your photos?)
5) all of 1,2,3, because your photos suck? congratulations you just wasted $<your cam,transport,gig entry> + <insert gig's timing> hrs of your life.

gig videographers (me for example)
1) block the whole world behind you.. sorry la..
2) you have no choice but to push away brainless assault moshing kids to protect your camera and maintain stable footage. (hate it when I dont' have a choice to pick someone my own size.)
3) you "film the band almost for free without permission" (they cover the dvd/entry/transport charge) although seriously i had enough of this complaint from bands.. Permission??
4) you take weeks to convert the footage to put up online... (although those who know video rendering takes days.. no choice.)
5) about putting up online and all those i think I got cover already.

bands
1) you're picky despite a freebie.
2) you're given the footage/photos but YOU don't put up or advertise to your fans. expect to be spoonfed.
3) rockstar attitude and you want to legally threaten the photographer/videographer, unless your ticketing is handled by sistic and you're covered by a touring company then understandable la..
4) if footage/photos were not watermarked, you don't give credits when you put up online. or you actually go and "crop" off the watermark and claim as yours or don't give credit.
to me how I handle this is that "it's fine, it's as easy as I'll never take footage of your band again. other bands get to gain your loss." I hope other new bands will steal your song's chords and rewrite them better then you'll have a taste of your own medicine.
5a) you expect the videographer/photographer to attend your every gig and take footage of it. he's your "bro/buddy/friend" if he says yes, he's on your MSN ignore list if he says no.
5b) or even worse. he's on your MSN ignore list during the times you guys don't have gig slots then msg him when you do.
5c) Band A with band members 1,2,3 ask to film/take photo. etc etc, band A disbands and band members 1,2 form Band B and band members 3 forms Band C with others. and these 2 bands contact you again and again expecting freebie footage. P.S : WE HAVE A LIFE. all of us music-related guys lead double lives, either work/study/NS + passion (music/photo/videoetc) we're not your personal sidekicks.

audience :
you selfishly complain about all of us (band/photo/video) but you're not there to support anyway, you're just there to.. well, enjoy a good view. and being sore about it when your world is not a perfect circle. you sit down on the floor and stay at the back and complain about the supporters standing infront and blocking your view. and moshers, auto abit la, if you see someone carrying a digicam/videocam don't go and purposely mosh into them. i don't see you guys moshing into the stage and breaking the band's guitars/bass/drums. these are our "instruments" also you know.

apparently everyone's got something to complain about, end of the day it's all about give and take isn't it? photographers don't hog 1 fixed spot. videographers try to pick the best spot that doesn't block anyone cos you'll be at a fixed spot. audience pls stand and go forth have fun and assault moshers pls go buy a bag of rice and bring your "Contender Asia" home to hantum.

40¢ worth

as for why they dont see their pics after last nights show...

if you were in a band playing last night, looking horrible and what not, at least let him touch up the photos with photoshop and add some effects also!

it takes quite a while to do stuff like that.

Well Said, BluePrintStudios! :)

Hmm, another post about gig photographers eh.

Well, it's a FREE gig..so anyone is FREE to move around and FREE to take pictures.
That's another reason why PAYING gigs have more control over the photographers and bigger bands usually just restrict the media/photographers to the 1st 2 or 3 songs and they all leave. WHY? So that the PAYING people in front do not get blocked as well as not to cause a distraction to the band.

Gig photogs/videogs are one hell of under appreciated people! so give and take lah.
Everyone is here to enjoy and music and spread the love. :)

My 30cents. Haha.

Back