Advice for Bass overdrive

Colarndo

I'm looking for a bass overdrive and have decided on 3 models. The Boss SD-1 and the Boss ODB3 and the discontinued Korg Classic OD-105 if I can find it. From what I know, The SD-1 was created more for electric guitarists. The ODB3 is more for Bass but as the SD-1 has a Tube overdrive, it's more tempting to get one. Well dont know whether the Korg Classic OD-105 is around but heard it was good while it lasted. Which should i choose? And Swee Lee or Luther to bring it in for me?

The SD-1 is the Super Overdrive that's very similar to the Tubescreamer. It has a lot of low end roll-off so I wouldn't use it with a bass. It's solid state btw, same goes for ODB-3. Haven't tried the Korg or ODB-3. I'd recommend a Big Muff though, tried one with bass guitar and it sounds not bad.

the big muff is a good recommendation for a bass overdrive/distortion. Big muff can give you the sound like what cliff burton did with anesthesia(pulling teeth).

One thing to note is that do try out the pedal you had in mind with the bass. Some guitar overdrive/distortion pedal kills the bottom end of the bass and it make the bass tone sound thin.

I bought an Ibanez PD-7. it's not bad. People say the Boss ODB-3 gave a fuzzy sound so I decided against it. I didnt have the budget for a Big Muff or a Tech 21 Bass D.I

Ibanez PD7 is a good choice too. Generally i find the Ibanez ToneLok series quite good value for money. :)

Ragus said:
Ibanez PD7 is a good choice too. Generally i find the Ibanez ToneLok series quite good value for money. :)

I agree :) I love the Ibanez Tonelok (forgot the model SB7 or something) Bass Synthesizer... Not as good as the Boss one but its damn value for money... Shucks swee lee no stock now only one worn out display piece...

Heard from my friend the SansAmp Bass DI Driver is damn good, but its pricey... PD7 sounds not bad (heard its the metal band bassist's staple pedal) but i got the boss ODB-3 pedal laz time in my experimenting days. Ya know for RHCP stuff and strumming the upper frets of the bass like a guitar with super light gauge strings...corny man. I sold it off coz not much use for me haha juz playing around with it.

Agree with the rest, BOSS SD-1 not very suitable for BASS, although you COULD use it as a booster....I'm not sure.... I use it for my guitar as a booster (Level UP, Drive DOWN)....It brings out alot of high gain type of sounds...so might make a bass lose "presence"

As for the tone-lok series, well, it's very good value for money and simple to use (simple push button for battery access) but it is kind of bulky plus the pedal doesn't engage well. You must really really give it a good solid "stomp" to activate it because if you just press it, chances are it doesn't engage and it'll just pop back up when you release your foot.... my experience.

I use the ODB-3 for bass guitar to create my overdrive sounds, and it creates the tone that i want (Silverchair bass fuzz) sounds.

My settings are 9-(level), 2-(hi), 5- (lo), 12-(balance), 12-(gain) o'clock, and i use a fender jazz bass.

The pedal is good enough for my use, so I think it depends on the exact sound you want in mind. :wink:

the sansamp bass DI is not too expensive, unless if you are a student, then still can understand. But i do heard from some people that there is a shop down in simlim selling it brand new and definitely cheaper than sinamex. How true is that, might have to check it out. If not, chk out some 2nd hand one, thats how i got mine 2 yrs back. And i must say that it really does change how your bass sound, for the better that is :D

brundisium said:
But i do heard from some people that there is a shop down in simlim selling it brand new and definitely cheaper than sinamex. How true is that, might have to check it out.

Whoa! Hey if u find the place let us know ya? For cheapskates like me haha... If i can get it cheaper much better than paying almost $300 at sinamex... :(

The thing is magic man,so crispy clean and clear...I heard the SansAmp accoustic version D.I in the studio and now swear by it's sound.Heard it was US$200. The best D.I sound I've heard so far.

I am gonna buy a Tech 21 buy this year! I can't stand not having something I hunger for. So any suggestions for A Tech21 Bass D.I Dealer locally? Problem is, I only heard it in the studio but not sure of it's application in "Live" sound situation. Some things sound good at home but sound like shit or in the studio or the other way round so need different views.

the sansamp bass di will make any bass sounds good. Some bassist commented that it sort of improve the bass sound by killing off the natural tone of the bass used.

The knobs on the pedal can give you a wide range of tone, from treblish click bass tone to fat bassy tone. As for live tone, this pedal is more than enopugh to cover it, either using it as a pedal or using the xlr output.

sinamex is the dealer for tech 21 stuff.

If you want to get it cheaper price, do chk out sim lim square for a shop that seem to have the bass DI at a lower price.....

super_punk said:
i heard the ibanez pd-7 is good

dude, why is it everything that you heard only?? How long have you been playing? Think you need to learn more about tone before giving any comment......

Which shop in Sim Lim Square lei? Some things are good for studio and some things are good for recording and it would be wise to find one that suits my needs.

brundisium said:
the sansamp bass di will make any bass sounds good. Some bassist commented that it sort of improve the bass sound by killing off the natural tone of the bass used.

The knobs on the pedal can give you a wide range of tone, from treblish click bass tone to fat bassy tone. As for live tone, this pedal is more than enopugh to cover it, either using it as a pedal or using the xlr output.

sinamex is the dealer for tech 21 stuff.

If you want to get it cheaper price, do chk out sim lim square for a shop that seem to have the bass DI at a lower price.....

Personally, I find the Tech21 to color the tone too much. So much to the extent where the bass would sound pretty much lo-fi. Personal preference I guess. I never did like any Tech21 products, owned/used some, sold em off...

There are a bunch of samples of bass preamps on http://www.basstasters.com, A/B the sansamp with any of the other preamps demo-ed there gives a clear idea.

Colarndo said:
Which shop in Sim Lim Square lei? Some things are good for studio and some things are good for recording and it would be wise to find one that suits my needs.

I believe they're referring to Esden Trading. They're on the outside of SLS. They are also the agents for Mesa Boogie, Spector. Honestly, I feel that Sinamex should lose dealership for a no of products. They do not stock products, and would only order if a certain no of people make orders. Might as well buy mail order, would even be quicker.

And this problem with em not only applies to Tech21 products. I was told that I had to wait over 6 months for a MOTU firewire interface and provided others order MOTU products as well. They wanna be careful on their orders, dun wanna stock on items and not want to release their dealerships, in the end, both the consumer and company that manufactures the product suffers.

Back