Acoustic Guitar Help?

yingyign

hello! I'm relatively new to the guitar, and started learning on the Yamaha C40 earlier in the year. However, as my body frame and hands are quite small, the full sized guitar is too big and large for me both size and fret wise, as the distance really puts a strain on my fingers. I also got a classical to begin with because I figured that the nylon strings would be easier on the hands.

After developing calluses on my fingertips, I figured I could switch to a better acoustic guitar, as I also prefer the brighter sound of a steel-stringed acoustic and my friends recommended that I look at the Big Baby and Baby Taylor guitars. Any insights regarding the two (reviews, which I should get etc.) and where I can try them out? (Looking to try the guitars in person to see how the size of the guitar fits me :) )

Hello! Since no one's taken up the mantle, I'll go first:

As you might well imagine, a steel-stringed instrument is going to feel a lot different to one with nylon strings, not just the string material, but the neck width and neck radius (classical guitar fretboards are flat, whereas acoustic guitars will have some slight curve to the fretboard). The Big Baby is closer in size and feel to a full-sized dreadnought acoustic, but IMHO, you might as well save up for a full-sized one if you're looking to further upgrade in the future.

A Baby Taylor just doesn't cut it for me, especially its severe lack of volume. It might be easier to play, but its smaller size tends towards a more hollow tone, which is not very inspiring. Additionally, because I have a heavier right hand technique, I've thrown the guitar out of tune quite easily during a live set.

You could check out some key differences in a comparison document here, but ultimately, it's how the guitar makes you feel that's the most important. If you're set on the Baby Taylor, I'd recommend getting one with electronics installed. Even a passive pickup makes a world of difference when running it through a PA.

Taylor dealers are found in this list here.

hello! I'm relatively new to the guitar, and started learning on the Yamaha C40 earlier in the year. However, as my body frame and hands are quite small, the full sized guitar is too big and large for me both size and fret wise, as the distance really puts a strain on my fingers. I also got a classical to begin with because I figured that the nylon strings would be easier on the hands.

After developing calluses on my fingertips, I figured I could switch to a better acoustic guitar, as I also prefer the brighter sound of a steel-stringed acoustic and my friends recommended that I look at the Big Baby and Baby Taylor guitars. Any insights regarding the two (reviews, which I should get etc.) and where I can try them out? (Looking to try the guitars in person to see how the size of the guitar fits me :) )

Back