2nd electric guitar

almondx

hmm i've been noticing alot of focus on wad makes a good first electric. But how do you tell when it's time to upgrade and wad makes a good 2nd elecric? share your views ppl!

Well... when you suspect you can play better... but your current beginner axe is preventing you from moving on... then go for it!

Personally, I would get a custom axe when I can afford one. ;) With either the old Ibanez Edge or a Gotoh Floyd.. 2 Dimarzio humbuckers, 3 way toggle with 3-way toggle for series/parallel/spilt, fender no load tone pot, varitone and in a natural finish. :)

Do your research for a decent 1st guitar according to your budget... Be prudent in upgrades, don't be too kiasu.

Then save up your money for the 2nd one... By then, you would have known what's good for you. Do try out guitars at Swee Lee, Luther etc and see if they are suitable for you... Just keep an open mind when you're checking them out.

Do your research for a decent 1st guitar according to your budget... Be prudent in upgrades, don't be too kiasu.

Then save up your money for the 2nd one... By then, you would have known what's good for you. Do try out guitars at Swee Lee, Luther etc and see if they are suitable for you... Just keep an open mind when you're checking them out.

Best advice in the world.

we tend to buy another guitar mainly because our certain needs are not met in terms of:

*tonal variation- eg: you own an all single coil equipped Strat, a good humbucking guitar will supplement your arsenal

*feel/ playability- some guitars are restrictive/ have a certain default feel that can hamper our performance. eg: Les Paul has a finished neck, maybe a strat will help with the difference in feel...

before you decide on your next one, ask yourself whether certain needs of your are fulfilled, otherwise it's prudent to stick to what you have & supplement your tones with pedals/ a good amp.

theblueark said:
Best advice in the world.

Why thank you, theblueark...

almondx, welcome to the guitar fraternity, it's like a guild, brotherhood, house... er, you get what I mean...

Do keep an open mind and learn... It will help a lot in making a good purchase decision. Feel free to post questions here when you're uncertain.

Upgrades involve performance level and tone. Upgrading bridges and trems is a good investment, really. Boosts performance level and tone. The metal used in the saddles has an effect on tone. And do get a good competent tech, it will help a lot.

Most people believe that pups contributes largely to tone. That is a grave mistake, for a guitar's tone comes from the sum of all its parts and makes.

A pickup-less electric guitar has tone in an unplugged format.

Back