1980s MIJ stagg LP copy - worth pimping?

zhong

Hi all,

This guitar is passed down by an uncle which I believe to be a 1980s LP copy.
It's MIJ, and not the MIC starter copies that we see around of late.

I only managed to find some info on the net on this LP copy
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/vintagestagg/4107/index.html

The guitar is in workable condition
By that, meaning the pickups work and the tone/volume pots, though not the smoothest, respond to a certain extend without crackling.
The stock tuners broke and I dumped in a working set of tuners on.

I was wondering if it's worth getting it properly pimped up
anyone keen to help me do an analysis? on or offline? ;)

Here's a couple of pics
Headstock
Picture009.jpg

Body (pickguard has broken, thus I removed it)
Picture017.jpg

any advice greatly appreciated! (who to bring it to? pickup upgrade? estimated cost? etc)
Disclaimer:
I am an acoustic player, with little knowledge on electric guitars
But won't mind a fine workable LP in my arsenal :)

Thanks!
Cheers,
Zhong

Why not? Go ahead pimp it up. If it plays well, pimping it will make it even better. IMO regardless of the brand of the guitar as long as you like it, it's worth modding. Heck, some of us even pimp our SX strats, so why not?

On another hand, you can keep the lp stock after all it may become a vintage collectible lp. Who knows.:cool:

That's all i'm able to offer. I'm a noob when it comes to pickups. I'll let the big boys guide you with the rest.

Les Paul

Yes,I fully agree with Cajune. GEt the axe fixed up and play. MIJ does'nt mean a thing if the guitar is not as good as MIC. Remember your MIJ is in the 80's therefore it may noy be necessary better than those current MIC.I have two MIC guitars and they are pretty good in terms of quality and tone. They cost me less than $500 each.Go a head and dont over spend by modding your guitar because it may not worth the while.I have seen a $600 guitar but cost $1350 after modification. Strange thinking.

by pimping i suppose u mean change of electronics etc.? i would say get it all fixed up and play it 1st, if its sound/tones is what u like then keep it that way. some vintage pickups just have that "mojo tone" in then...lol... thats what i do, left my 2 70s mij guitar untouched expect change of wiring..lol..

If the guitar is good, you like it, and know that you wanna use it more, it's worth the pimping. Some more, if you decide to sell it later on, the pimping will raise its value.

thanks for the replies!
any recommendations to what I should do to it?
like electronics? wiring? etc bridge? pots? pickup recommendations?

A full setup, and perhaps change the stock nut to a bone or tusq nut? Should give better sustain and better tone from what I've heard. Pickups... If they sound fine then no need, but you might want to get the electronics re-wired just in case the interior wiring is old and worn.

i think u can change the pots,,, PU (if needed)
the bolt on part is the main thing... most LP use set in / glued in neck..

my friend got his bolt joint glued up... after setting it to final 1st :)

pardon the ignorance
but can someone enlighten me on the issue with bolt on?

oh yes,
say to rewire, replace pot/jack
nut
who would you recommend to send to and the estimated cost?

and ya, what are some versatile pickups that I can look at if say to change a pickup?

bolt on/set neck...some say set neck had better sustain than bolt on, some say not much difference...for a bolt on neck replaceable if you break it, set neck...quite a hassle...

there a a few luthiers around, beez, mike @ SV..cost wise, its best ask them for a quote...

pickups...a wide range of choices, depends on what gene you play i suppose...

have fun pimping your guitar! :)

Back