Yamaha MM6 vs Roland GW-7

michael68

Hi all,
I am looking for a keyboard with sequencer as well as auto accompaniment built in (with various music styles that provides drums, bass and backing music).
I guess the 2 models that comes close with these specs are the Yamaha and Roland. May I know what would be your recommendations and whether anyone has hands on experience on these 2? Thanks.

Michael

MM6 is a synth. It's not an arranger keyboard, hence I don't think it has the full-fledge auto-accompaniment functions. I believe their "patterns" are only drum loops (ie no other instrument backing tracks). I may be wrong. Any other MM6 users?

The Yamaha models you should be considering are the PSR series or (if you have the money) Tyros 2.

Yamaha arranger keyboards surpasses Roland in many aspects. I would consider Yamaha before Roland in this regard.

Hi micheal, you sure you've done enough research (text and hands-on) to arrive at those two contenders? :)

Would you be doing more music sequencing or realtime interactive playing? You should first determine what you want to do with your keyboard.

I've been playing arrangers for a while and found more enjoyment in them than I had with my synth workstations. Basically, I was lazy to do sequencing and merely used the sequencer as a sketchpad for my music ideas. Among other things, what I find important and inspiring in an arranger would be the styles, particularly the variations and intros/endings. It's a plus if you could create your own styles too. But don't compare arrangers with synths. Seriously, if you are unsure, you can always look out in the 2nd hand market for good deals on arranger workstations (which has a sequencer too). In my opinion, mid-range models (PSR640/740 onwards) is a safe bet.

the korg PA500 -citymusic, as well as the yamaha psr series -yamaha/luther are on sale right now.

from what u mentioned, dun crack yr head, get an arranger. NOW

Hi all,
Thanks for the feedback. Had a chance to check out the MM6 today. It has similar functions to the Roland GW7, more patterns (or music styles), 168 vs 110. But the realism in the Yamaha is there. Unfortunately, while it has fill ins, it does not have the intro, fills and end as found on the Roland.
In terms of accompaniment, both has drums plus bass plus backings, the only key diff in my opinion is the intro and end on the Roland.
I like to have one that enable live performance like a one man band, but also with sequencers built in for composition and ideas. Yamaha has 8+1 track sequencer, while Roland has 16 track sequencer.
Tough choice, but both equally good contenders with each having its strengths...

Regards,
Michael

Micheal, you're comparing an apple with an orange :)

Anyway, you seem fixed on choosing any of the two models you've mentioned. Well, hope you'll like what you'll decide. Else, you'll have to dispose it or live with it.

Back