SOLD WTS/WTT: Fender '59 Bassman RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyanideJunkie

Hi all, looking to sell off my Fender '59 Bassman RI to fund another purchase. Tweed Bassmans like this are considered to be the predecessor of the famous Marshall JTM45s, seeing that Jim Marshall designed it after buying and studying one.

photo_005_zps8c33fb7a.jpg

This particular one is a rarity. It's a transitional piece from after Fender discontinued the original reissue '59 Bassman and before they put the current '59 Bassman LTD into production. Like the original '59 Bassman RIs, mine was made fully in the USA(current LTDs have their circuit boards made and assembled in Mexico), sports a premium-grade Baltic Birch ply cabinet covered by unlacquered tweed but at the same time, it has features found on the newer LTDs like the 4 Jensen Alnico P10Rs(nicely broken in) and the lack of a dummy ground switch.

Stock GT tubes have been swapped out, but will be included in the sale. Current tube compliment consists of a gold pin EH 12AY7 for the preamp, Shuguang 12AX7WB for the cathode follower, Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the phase inverter, a matched pair of Tung Sol 6L6GC-STR for the power section and a Sovtek 5AR4 for the rectifier. I will also include a spare Tung Sol 12AX7 for the preamp section if you'd rather more gain as well as the original solid-state rectifier that came with the amp which will provide more power and headroom if installed. I've done a lot of research on this amp and have retubed it to be as reliable and sweet-sounding as possible.

Basically I've set this amp up to be as close to the original '59 Bassmans as possible spec-wise, without any intrusive mods. The 12AY7 in the preamp section helps clean things up, giving the volume and tone controls a more workable range and making the overall sound much warmer. It takes overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals EXTREMELY well, and sounds absolutely amazing both clean and cranked. The 4x10 speaker arrangement provides an excellent and full-sounding frequency spread, giving the sound a ton of vibrancy and dynamics. To top it off, this one is wired for local voltage and already comes with a 3-pin plug, so there's no need to worry about a step-down transformer or ground-hum.

Selling for $1800. Trade-wise, I'm looking for any good full tube combo amp no larger than a 2x12. Do note again that this a discontinued US-made piece that accepts local voltage, you don't see these around everyday. Condition is very good considering its age, no scratchy pots or electronic defects, easily a 9/10. Interested parties can reach me at 9070 9160. Cheers and thanks for reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back