World's Worst Cover Songs - Total Guitar mag

betsybug

Heard this on the BBC this morning - Total Guitar magazine surveyed the scene and listed what they consider as the worst cover songs in the world (of course, in their hubris they missed out the Hokkien getai performances here). They are (the top five):

1. Celine Dion, You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC)
2. Girls Aloud/Sugababes, Walk This Way (Run DMC and Aerosmith)
3. Westlife, More Than Words (Extreme)
4. Will Young, Light My Fire (The Doors)
5. The Mike Flowers Pops, Wonderwall (Oasis)

And the best?

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along The Watchtower (original artist Bob Dylan)
2. The Beatles - Twist And Shout (original artist The Top Notes)
3. Guns 'N' Roses - Live And Let Die (original artist Wings)
4. Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World (original artist David Bowie)
5. MUSE - Feeling Good (original artist: Nina Simone)

I didn't think Will Young was that bad to merit the vote, but no arguments about Jimi Hendrix and Beatles. Note that this was done by a guitar magazine - Jimi's cover with the guitar solo intro must have coloured their views somewhat.

This is what TG wrote about Numero Uno:

The Worst Cover Song EVER!
Oi, Dion, NOOOO!!!

It's one of the worst things we've ever seen, and we've been backstage with Marilyn Manson... Celine Dion's cover of the AC/DC classic You Shook Me All Night Long has quite rightly been voted the Worst Cover Of All Time in this month's TG, on sale now.

This vile act, whereby the 'Sea Lion' and chums defile the 'DC legacy at VH1's Divas Las Vegas concert in 2002, is made all the more sickening when you consider Ms Dion is singing about cunnilingus in the second verse.

Frankly, it made us puke all night long. Stick to sinking ships please Dion.

Watch it below at your peril, and note Ms Dion's pathetic attempt to garner rock kudos by duckwalking upon entrance.

Got to go to youtube for the vid. Sorry for corrupting the innocent with the reference to the 2nd verse - blame TG.

hmm...i think Gn'R's cover of "sympathy for the devils" (originally by Rolling Stones?) is much better than "live n let die"...just imo tho...

"at least they managed to give credit where it's overly due (bowie)"

And The Top Notes (most people assume The Beatles wrote T&S) or even Bob Dylan. Jimi and Beatles made those songs their own, IMO.

P/S Someone asked why Dylan is covering Watchtower (!)

Last edited:
I agree, but it's not as terribly popular as that nirvana cover. Almost everyone I've talked about it was shocked to find out kurt cobain didn't write it.

Now that I look at the two lists together, it seems to me that the main difference between the two is that the Worst list has artistes covering well-know songs or even classics, whereas the Best list has songs which were not so well-known until the cover singers/bands came along.

People just don't take too kindly to folks meddling with their classics (however, I do like very much Annie Lennox's Whiter Shade of Pale).

Last edited:
my vote: not a cover but a remix:

The eagles redoing Hotel California with a Marichi band :twisted:

ANYWAYS - i'VE ALWAYS HATED PLAYING THAT SONG! WHAT EVER VERSION! :mad:

woo hendrix i love you man!

now he is the weed of music.you just want more cause its high.

well ... I dont hate the eagles .. I just HATE that bladdy song!

Vicko loves eagles dont cha...

I love The Eagles, but not post-HellFreezesOver.
70s Eagles is the biz!

fgl, Hotel California is a good song, just prob over-played/requested - that's why you have a phobia about it, am I right?

Back