Why Should I Buy Strings From Swee Lee?

gkinsingapore

I see Swee Lee just put Gibson strings up from $13 to $18, an increase which has stopped me buying in Singapore and instead buying from overseas.

Through online retail I can buy LP strings for 7.99 USD plus postage which puts them in the vicinty of $12SGD. For $13 I couldnt be bothered and bought from SL even though they are the DISTRIBUTOR not a retailer. At $18+ they are a total rip off.

Oh BTW I just bough a historic VOS for SGD $4.2k from overseas opposed to the nearly 13k price tag they have in their store.

Am I missing something here or are SL totally rorting the musicians of Singapore?????

As it stands I will never buy anything from SL, even if they do discount heavilythe prices are still over the top. So SL thats about 20k a year you are NOT getting from me...I bet there are many others...good luck

the point is?

1) my personal preference that i want to share with everyone, even if anyone doesnt care

2) i just bought a new guitar that cost 4.3k compared to 13k if i buy locally

3) they are not getting my business anymore

4) Hoping for changes

5) no point, i happy

If it makes you happy, get something that's cheaper from other shops. There are a lot of stuff you can get at a lower price. :)

last time i went to buy strings at the sims drive outlet cause they're the cheapest. ernies at 5.50. now somehow they dont stock ernies regular slinky anymore.

His point is they are killing the musicians in singapore.
Expensive instruments = less musicians.

Heck. I've seen used squiers go for 60 SGD on US sites.

less musician?

Not a bad thing since if able to weed out non thinking instrument playing folk who doesnt think of alternative way to get their stuff.

Heh, can anyone imagine listening to music done by people who dont think?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If strings from swee lee are expensive, u can go to other shops, even mama shop downstairs, u can buy a roll of it. haha:twisted:

but what i can say is, everything's jacked up, not only stuff from guitar shops.

Haha. That's true, but then again, we might never know what we've missed out on.

Anyway, nothing much we can do about it. Heh. No point whining. Let's go practise ! :p

Hahaha... Well if you have the money to get tix to fly to and fro, then I guess picking up a guitar along the way is good...

Other than that, saving up and having good friends is good...

Is it just me, or are the people who often complain about the pricing of Swee Lee mostly guitarists?

People should start realising that guitars and all associated items are not the ONLY things that Swee Lee sells.

One or two guitarists boycotting them doesn't make a hell lot of difference. So I think we should all open our eyes, take a long hard look at what they offer for sale and then stop lying to ourselves and realise that guitarists are not instrument players who's keeping them in business.

Last edited:
I play drums and i feel likewise too, not only guitarist. Too bad Singapore is really not too big and big players that carry those labels are the only few. Its only too bad that this is the case. I think not only SL, even Yamaha is over charging on most of their things. Like i say i play drums so i dun really frequent City Music. I dun really buy things from SL unless really really no choice, even so, i will only get sticks from them, my snares and cymbals dont come from anywhere in S'pore. Even SL's annual 50% SALE is not much of a difference. Was always wondering why are there so much people queueing for hours to get in....

Only 'solution'... Do your research well when going to buy something expensive. Normally getting overseas is much cheaper, even those custom made models plus shipping. Thats what my bassist does... Guess local musicians doesnt have much of a choice.

To me Swee Lee is like a 7 Eleven that doesn't open 24 hrs.

They may "overcharge" their stuff. Most people always have the option to purchase elsewhere but for some reason they always become the spot to go to when it comes to hunting for our instruments.

Also, they don't just sell guitars, basses, or drums. They sell other string instruments, brass instruments, wind instruments, PA systems, modules, music books etc etc.

I won't be surprised that their customer base for these instruments and accessories are NOT on Soft, cos it seems that the popular topics to yak around here are guitars, bass or drums.

Back